Gransnet forums

Chat

You guys...

(83 Posts)
Worthingpatchworkers Tue 09-Feb-16 09:43:53

Is it just me or do you also dislike being referred to as guys. It's a term which has come over from America but is just being bandied about rather than being used with discretion. Whatever happened to considering appropriate terms for appropriate situations. Madam and Sir for mature clients of your business....they are not 'guys'. Guys is a term for your friends. I even heard one young male member of staff at a cinema refer to customers in a queue as 'you lot'. I was aghast....respect for people you are doing business with.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Feb-16 09:46:08

YES! Hate it with a vengeance. The young waiters in Jamie Oliver's call you guys. Even me. hmm

thatbags Tue 09-Feb-16 09:46:34

Depends how it is used. You guys and You lot can be said in a friendly and/or respectful way. If whoever says it is being friendly and has a polite manner, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Feb-16 09:47:19

Actually, thinking about it, it might not be too bad in that situation. Could make you feel young and hip.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 09-Feb-16 09:49:39

I like it and use it. smile

obieone Tue 09-Feb-16 09:52:08

It is all inclusive and non ageist.

Solitaire Tue 09-Feb-16 10:13:46

I hate 'guys'...and so does my son,Guy. He never uses it of coursesmile

Grannyknot Tue 09-Feb-16 10:21:58

I don't mind, nor care. In the great scheme of things ...

I also think that "you guys" is quite a friendly way of addressing people.

TriciaF Tue 09-Feb-16 10:36:26

It used to be "youse guys", New york slang. Better than Y'all though.

Indinana Tue 09-Feb-16 10:44:27

I don't mind it at all and, as obieone said, it is inclusive and non-ageist.
I have literally come to this thread from the one about ageist 'compliments' and the irony has made me smile. I'm beginning to think we'd all better stop using any form of address at all, either ageist or non-ageist. I wonder when people will start objecting to sir and madam grin

ffinnochio Tue 09-Feb-16 11:06:02

I have no problem with it at all. It's inclusive and friendly.
This is the sort of pickiness that makes me want to use the expression get over yourself . wink

midgey Tue 09-Feb-16 11:15:49

It is sooo much better than 'sweetie' or 'sug'!

POGS Tue 09-Feb-16 11:24:34

As with 'kids' I don't really take any notice let alone get upset by it. It's like most things in life it depends on context I suppose .

TerriBull Tue 09-Feb-16 12:07:33

I don't have a problem with it all, my sons use it when addressing both of us, it's just a friendly and familiar term and I'm glad they feel they don't need to be formal, I wouldn't want that. There are far worse ways of addressing parents I'm sure. I don't particularly mind it coming from waiters/esses who I usually identify being a similar sort of age as my sons it's just their generation's "speak". Possibly I wouldn't expect it in a more formal setting, but I think I prefer informal anyway.

cornergran Tue 09-Feb-16 12:17:47

This grumpy person just hates being called a guy.

Lavande Tue 09-Feb-16 12:27:39

Don't mind at all.

Alima Tue 09-Feb-16 12:44:13

Like others have said it is a friendly greeting. Also like "peeps" informally. I hate being greeted as madam. Surely "may I help you", "good morning" and so on are fine and do not need madam stuck on the end. It's even worse when they get the script wrong and call you "sir".

loopylou Tue 09-Feb-16 12:48:24

It doesn't bother me, it's better than being ignored/invisible!

janeainsworth Tue 09-Feb-16 12:51:40

My DiL is American and addresses us as 'you guys'.
It doesn't bother me in the least.
DS addresses us as 'Ratbags' shock

Synonymous Tue 09-Feb-16 13:07:03

janeainsworth ratbags grin
DS clearly loves you to bits! smile

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 09-Feb-16 13:33:01

I like and use peeps too. smile

I also greet some friends and family saying "Hello Sweetie/Gorgeous/Sunshine/Sweetpea/Poppet" and they tell me they love it because it makes them smile and feel good.

ninathenana Tue 09-Feb-16 13:37:47

I don't mind the informality of it and yes it's ageless but is it inclusive??
Last time I looked I had a bit missing that stopped me being a 'guy'

janeainsworth Tue 09-Feb-16 14:03:53

Yes synonymous and the feeling's mutual grin
He is coming home for a few days next week (first time for over 3 years) and I can't wait to spoil him rotten smile

Anya Tue 09-Feb-16 14:20:35

Frankly guys, I couldn't give a damn..

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Feb-16 14:30:14

Mr Ocado calls me Madam. I like it. smile