Gransnet forums

Chat

little Englander

(421 Posts)
obieone Mon 25-Apr-16 06:46:17

This subject has come up again on another thread.

What is wrong with little Englander? Or big Englander. Or little Welsher. Or big Welsher? Or little Scotlander? Or big scotlander. Or little Northern Irelander? Or big Northere Irelander? Or little Rep of Irelander? Or big Republic of Irelander?

Or little any other nation on earth? Or big any other nation on earth?

Alea Mon 25-Apr-16 07:25:48

Little Englander" is an epithet applied in criticisms of British nationalists, English nationalists, or English people who are regarded as xenophobic and/or overly nationalistic and are often accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish (wikipedia)

Well if it means being inward looking, insular, unaware of the world beyond our borders, jingoistic and unwilling to to think on a more global scale, quite a lot I suppose

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 07:32:41

Quite so, and probably the true belief in the 'Brexit' mind set.

absent Mon 25-Apr-16 07:34:41

smile

There is nothing special about being English. If you are an English person, it does not automatically make you better than a French, German, Spanish, Thai, Chinese, Russian, Arabian, Moroccan or any other person in the world.

A Little Englander is someone who believes that simply being born in England makes him (or her, but usually him) something remarkable and special. It is, I think, a 19th century concept.

obieone Mon 25-Apr-16 07:53:38

Xenophobia. But cannot people be who they want to be apart from that?
Smacks of the thought police to me. Or perhaps being a snob.

obieone Mon 25-Apr-16 07:54:26

I missed the word no after Xenophobia.

obieone Mon 25-Apr-16 07:57:38

So all those people who are little Scotlanders or big Scotlanders who voted yes to leave are in effect "little Scotlanders"? confused

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 08:13:33

I suspect that the Scots have a different mind set to the Little Englander, as they are very aware of life on a global scale, and voting 'YES' was the equivalent of sticking two fingers up at the English obieone

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 08:17:20

GNHQ can we have a new emoticon which indicates

'I'd love to continue this discussion but I need to do the school run/take DH for his hospital appointment/walk the dog before it rains/etc???

PLEASE

obieone Mon 25-Apr-16 08:27:07

I'd like one of those too Anya! I am supposed to answer questions put to me on another thread, but I was out, and when I came back it had moved on 90 posts, some of which are long, so I am somewhat ducking out for now.

mollie Mon 25-Apr-16 08:31:57

I'll vote for Brexit but I wouldn't consider myself a little Englander, far from it! I've travelled in Europe and like it and think some of the countries have got things right compared to us here but I will vote out for reasons I'm not debating here. I am not a little Englander angry

Anniebach Mon 25-Apr-16 08:42:55

The Scottish referendum was a vote to be free of the U.K. Not because they felt superior to other countries

sunseeker Mon 25-Apr-16 08:49:08

I think the problem is that if someone declares they are patriotic and love this country they are labelled "little Englander". I love this country and feel lucky to have been born here, that doesn't mean I think I am better than anyone else. What is wrong with being patriotic? Saturday was St. George's Day yet there was very little happening to celebrate this, was this because those celebrating would be labelled little Englanders and racist? Ireland, Scotland and Wales seem able to celebrate their national saints days but not the English.

FarNorth Mon 25-Apr-16 08:49:23

Alea has given the definition of Little Englander. It doesn't sound like a nice thing to be.
What else is there to say about it?

FarNorth Mon 25-Apr-16 08:50:31

X posts, sunseeker. Good points.

Anniebach Mon 25-Apr-16 08:54:17

Nothing wrong with love of one's country, , I doubt a Little Englander is aware they are a Little Englander

rosesarered Mon 25-Apr-16 08:55:55

sunseeker I fully agree with you.My village was flying the Flag of St George over the weekend, which was nice to see.It's sited on a small green, and flags are flown on appropriate days there.
yes, Alea has given the definition correctly, and this is used on forums as an insult now and then by certain posters.

rosesarered Mon 25-Apr-16 08:57:49

We should take no notice IMHO.

Anniebach Mon 25-Apr-16 09:00:49

The problem is England has never been oppressed - let's not go back to the Vikings please - Ireland, Scotland and Wales have been oppressed by England , difficult for some English people to understand . It's nothing to do with flying a flag, loving ones country

granjura Mon 25-Apr-16 09:00:51

I can assure you Little Frenchers and Little Switzerlanders are no better- same mindset!

rosesarered Mon 25-Apr-16 09:03:11

In fact Granjura this mindset may be found in ANY country in the world.

trisher Mon 25-Apr-16 09:14:06

When I see the EDL demonstrating and calling out for the deportation of all immigrants and refugees I know exactly what a 'Little Englander' is. I have disagreed with many on GN but I don't think there have been any posts that have been so extreme. The EDL makes me ashamed and embarrassed and anxious to assure those targeted who hear the outbursts that we are not all like them.

granjura Mon 25-Apr-16 09:21:47

Absolutely Roses, that was my point.

Trisher the EDL make me feel physically sick- and have you ever heard the kind of answers they give when interviewed???

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:41:58

I am first a scot and proud
Most of family are English and live in England. Of which I am proud
I have cousins and friends in spain Australia and the USA all of wish I visit
My Parents lived in South Africa so I have ties there also.
I am British and proud.
As are all the people I have mentioned Proud of their nation.

Some on GN are quick to criticise anyone who uses 'Americanisims'
This upsets me as I have American family. But I dont call them little Englanders!
How many of the European voters would be voting to become part of the United States if we were in fact closer to the USA or Alaska.
IMO they would be saying 'we are not Americans!'

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:46:19

I meant geographically closer to USA and Alaska