Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco ..... Take 3 (I think!)

(23 Posts)
Katek Thu 05-May-16 12:33:22

I ordered a basic fleece throw from Tesco direct to cover a chair which our big cat has decided to claw. Our local Tesco only does food so opted for collection. The fleece was £5. I received my collection notification and was extremely surprised to find a £2 collection charge on it!! It's me that's collecting it...my time, my car, my fuel! Am I paying for staff time to hand it over? Transport costs from the warehouse? Seems a hefty amount to whack on ... 40% of original price. Shouid have waited until next time I was in town at a bigger branch and just bought it.

LullyDully Thu 05-May-16 12:38:07

This seems to be a newly added charge at several shops. That was the joy of click and collect, no postal charge!!confused

Tizliz Thu 05-May-16 12:56:36

If you have a delivery plan for groceries there are no delivery charges for click and collect items. I have a midweek plan which costs £3 a month - cheaper than driving there

Charleygirl Thu 05-May-16 14:48:27

You may as well stay at home and have it delivered unless they are going to charge you another fiver for that privilege. Daylight robbery springs to mind.

GandTea Thu 05-May-16 15:49:08

They have been making this charge on items under £30 for a little while now, I is very obvious when you order, in very large print, so there shouldn't be a surprise.
I suspect the customer services were ill equipped to deal with the volume of small items. We certainly ordered all sorts of small items for local collection.
Boots are still offering free instore collection, not sure how long that will last, it can't be worth their while. Ordered a very small item that was just a few pounds, came in relatively huge box that could have held hundreds of the same item.
We tend to use eBay for small items.
Amazon increased their delivery charges some while ago ( and they don't make it very obvious)

Charleygirl Thu 05-May-16 17:03:44

Aldi were offering home delivery so I had 2 packs of AA batteries delivered! Admittedly I had ordered 2 largish items which did not arrive at the same time.

Katek Thu 05-May-16 17:16:06

Whether I was surprised/ hadn't spotted the charge is neither here nor there... I'm just a bit aggrieved at having to pay a collection charge for collecting it myself! I don't mind paying delivery as at least it arrives at my door (usually) but to be charged for doing the job myself doesn't seem fair.

To add insult to injury, the cat had another go at the arm of the chair while I was out collecting said throw!

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 17:23:02

Katek I would let your big cat loose on the manager if I were you ( is it a lion or a tiger btw?) grin

Katek Thu 05-May-16 17:30:20

Now there's a thought roses.....he's a big lad at 7kg! Vet thinks he has Norwegian Forest cat cross in there somewhere as his coat is pretty dense. So is he, actually, not the sharpest tool in the box. When we chose him from Cats Protection as a youngster he was so happy to see us that he rolled over and fell off his shelf. That decided it for us!

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 18:08:10

Sounds lovely, post a pic?

Ana Thu 05-May-16 18:21:12

You can still get free delivery for a lot of Amazon items though, GandTea. It's often the third-party sellers who charge the most postage.

Katek Thu 05-May-16 19:58:23

Here's the boy himself....meet Gus. He's in the bad books although you wouldn't know it!

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 20:00:35

aww, how cute is that! smile

Katek Thu 05-May-16 20:15:36

Hmm....except when he's clawing my sofa!! This is Claudia, his partner in crime, but she's like Macavity-when we reach the scene of the crime she's not there!

GandTea Thu 05-May-16 20:31:03

Ana, I thought Amazon charged for under £20 unless you had Prime.

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 20:33:58

what a gorgeous tabby! I want it.Love those long haired cats.

Ana Thu 05-May-16 20:42:07

No GandTea, I haven't got Prime and have just bought a pair of slippers from Amazon for £16 p&p free. You do have the choice of opting for 'first class' or 'express' delivery for which they do charge, but in my experience most items arrive just as quickly if you opt for free delivery.

As I say, you have to watch some of the third-party suppliers, they sometimes charge quite a lot.

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 20:43:47

that's true, I try to buy everything through Amazon itself, because from 'other sellers' the postage is often high.

GandTea Thu 05-May-16 20:53:19

I don't understand how you got free delivery ( I don't doubt, you did). Every time I order a small item where the total is less than £20 there is a delivery charge for items supplied by Amazon. Item from other suppliers vary from free to ridiculously expensive.

Charleygirl Thu 05-May-16 22:09:20

Claudia does not look as though she has ever put a claw wrong and are you certain about Gus?!!!!!! They are gorgeous.

Tara my baby girl has given up hunting and scratching- I am not complaining because I have had a new suite for exactly 2 weeks!

wot Thu 05-May-16 22:53:03

Tescos are being fool's to themselves. I used to but lots of things from Tesco click and collect but no more. They are going to lose Monet because people will older more than they want in order to avoid charges. Then those goods will be returned via royal mail at no charge to customer. And they could lose good will.

Katek Thu 05-May-16 22:58:46

Princess Claudia (that's how she thinks of herself) is a Persian cross. Mum is a pedigree who got chatted up by the local bad boy and fell for his charms. She is gorgeous when she's fully fluffed up-tail like a bottle brush. Gus is one big lump of sookiness, won't leave anyone alone including the local policeman. Poor chap's trouser hems are covered in fur if he comes near our house

Good luck with new suite charleygirl - ours are banned from sitting room unless supervised or he would have been at that sofa as well! Sun room is their territory along with end of my bed.

Argos don't charge for collection I've just realised. Totally free, gratis

wot Thu 05-May-16 23:00:06

The cats are gorgeous; so cuddly!