Gransnet forums

Chat

Roadside and layby litter and dumping...

(148 Posts)
granjura Tue 24-May-16 19:05:33

If I mention, with great sadness, that since we arrived in the UK 2 weeks ago- although we absolutely love the countryside, we are really upset about the amount of roadside litter and the fact that a large proportion of lya-bys or entrance to fields are full of dumped litter and rubbish of everykind- does that make us

- anti-British

- or sad that this beautiful countryside is spoilt by the dumpsters and litterers? because we love the UK so much?

Alea Tue 24-May-16 19:09:11

It is certainly to be deplored.
I am glad to say that on my recent travels around Beds and Bucks, I have not seen what you describe. That is not to say it does not exist in some areas of course.

Why should it be anti-British? Who knows the nationality of the offenders? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 19:12:41

What part of the country were you in? I don't see that in Berks or Oxfordshire, and I didn't notice it in Wales.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 19:22:55

on the way up from Kent- the M20 is a shocker, so is M11- then for dumping in rural Leics and Rutland- which was truly surprising- sad and shocking- and a long lond way from any lareg urban centre. Ask any British expat who visit and they will say the same.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 19:23:54

Anti-British to mention and deplore it Alea. Rutland has very few immigrants, I can assure you.

janeainsworth Tue 24-May-16 19:29:49

We don't have litter in Northumberland either, or even in Newcastle.

I know what it is! <lightbulb moment> we Brits are so slovenly and disgusting we don't even notice litter and detritus!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 19:35:19

Who knows the nationality of the offenders?

grin

I don't think gj meant it all came from the local Chinese chippie.

Ana Tue 24-May-16 19:36:41

It's not happening where I live either. Why do you feel the need to complain about the inhabitants of the UK at every opportunity, granjura? It's getting tiresome...

granjura Tue 24-May-16 19:42:49

Well that is wonderful news jane- bravo. Those Rutlanders are obviously real ruffians compared to the Geordies.

Jingl- not a single chippie, chinese or otherwise, where we saw so much dumping in lay-bys and entrance to fields- just lovely, wonderful stone and slate/thatch villages. Kent I agree is a different kettle of fish due to all the foreign lorries. Point is though, is that mentioning it does no make you anti-British- au contraire. Noticing and being upset by it indicates how much you love the country- Be it schools, NHS, litter, waste, etc.

Had lunch with ex-colleagues who told us what is happening to the schools where we used to teach, and all were totally dismayed and truly saddened about it- such a mess. Yes, because we were dedicated to those schools.

Alea Tue 24-May-16 19:43:00

Or even that we Brits are oblivious to it? Or responsible ? confused

M0nica Tue 24-May-16 19:43:17

JBF. Drive along the A34, north and south from Newbury (Berkshire.Oxfordshire/Hampshire). You will see enough litter to last a lifetime. Twice this week I have been behind cars where the windows opened and either cigarette butts (in one case) and a cigarette pack, in the other were thrown out.

Our village has won a 'Best Kept Village' award about 5 times in the last 20 years. There is no chance of that happening again in the near future, not only are the main roads lined with litter, so are the footpaths.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 19:56:26

Ana, getting upset re the abuse by a few, does not mean complaining about the inhabitants of the UK- au contraire- but to complain about the few that ruin it for everyone else - be it abuse of the NHS or social services, or litter and dumping, etc. The perpetrators are a very small proportion indeed- and they make life a misery for the majority, sadly.

Can't you see that?

Ana Tue 24-May-16 20:00:00

Can't you see that your constant reprimands get irritating? Obviously not, you're on a determined mission. I'll leave you to it...

granjura Tue 24-May-16 20:08:45

Perhaps our posts crossed and you didn't have time to read the last message?

Some people abuse the best ever health system in the world- a minority. Some people abuse social services and housing, etc- a minority.

Some people drop litter and dump illegally- a minority.

That minority makes everyone's Britain less enjoyable to live in. Sadly.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 20:09:07

Reprimands? Where?

Alea Tue 24-May-16 20:23:48

Point is though, is that mentioning it does not make you anti-British- au contraire. Noticing and being upset by it indicates how much you love the country- Be it schools, NHS, litter, waste, etc

Nobody said anything about being "anti-British" though, except you yourself in your original post(
does that make us anti-British
why on earth raise the issue just to say it does not? confused

Much ado about nothing?

granjura Tue 24-May-16 20:52:28

I'm quite sure some, perhaps the majority here, will understand why I chose this example to make a point and counter accusations elsewhere. I thank them- and leave you to it.

suzied Tue 24-May-16 20:56:03

I must say that graffiti is not as bad here in sarf London as it used to be, seems to be cleaned up PDQ, unlike some parts of Europe I have recently been, plus there is much less dog mess around than there was in the past. London much cleaner these days. No excuse for littering or fly tipping anywhere though, it seems more of a problem in rural areas than towns. In town seems to be cleared up quickly.

Alea Tue 24-May-16 20:58:42

Still confused
Thought GNHQ took a dim view of threads about threads?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 21:04:22

confused. So, does Granjura think it's Ana been dropping all the litter? shock

Alea Tue 24-May-16 21:38:20

I expect it was. Either her or some of those other dreadful Brits who are oblivious to their own shortcomings and need them prointed out by ex-pats, visitors other people.hmm.

Alea Tue 24-May-16 21:39:22

"Prointed"???? "pointed"!

janeainsworth Tue 24-May-16 21:47:16

Had lunch with ex-colleagues who told us what is happening to the schools where we used to teach, and all were totally dismayed and truly saddened about it- such a mess. Yes, because we were dedicated to those schools.

confused Is there a litter problem in our schools now, as well as in our lay-bys?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 22:02:04

I think I might have lost the thread of this thread. If I ever had it. [shrug]

GandTea Tue 24-May-16 22:03:18

I have to say that in my travels, litter and fly tipping seems rife everywhere. Motorways are disgusting, bottles of pee and other stuff jettisoned from car/truck windows. "A" road lay-bys are a prime dumping area. We travel all over the UK and see this everywhere, especially in rural areas. Someone mentioned Wales, we were appalled at the fly tipping across the Brecon Beacons. The problem seems worse in rural areas close to towns.
While charges are made for disposing of business waste, rubbish will be dumped in the countryside.