Gransnet forums

Chat

I need a job

(9 Posts)
supernanauna1 Mon 27-Jun-16 00:47:18

I was made redundant two and half years ago after 21 years in the same job. For the first two years, a well-known employment agency kept me pretty busy with various temping jobs, but there's been nothing for the past four months. I wonder if that's because I turned 69 last November? They say my age has nothing to do with it, but I wonder.....

I am perfectly healthy and still have all my marbles and I would be very happy with a pretty basic part-time admin job - both to get me out of the house and to have some money coming in - but I can't see anything advertised in our local papers and I just don't know where else I can look.

Has anybody else been in this situation?

I'm sick of housework, dog walking etc and my other half is not exactly a Cheerful Charlie so a bit of adult company would be fantastic, even if only for a few hours a week.

rubylady Mon 27-Jun-16 03:06:27

Have you tried looking online? Or got a cv together and dropped it off at companies in your area? Just go round and introduce yourself to places, hand in your cv and then they would have seen you in person before an interview, shows you are keen.

Have you a spare bedroom? Maybe take in B & B guests? Or ebay some things, buy something from a car boot etc and then ebay it? Look at different things that will bring in some cash and give you an interest. Good luck. X

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 11:15:14

Why not just write to local big employers, send your CV and say what you are looking for. Many supermarkets are keen to employ older staff on a part-time basis and other businesses may well feel the same.

Unless the money is of importance, have you considered voluntary work? The range of work you can do in the voluntary sector is enormous. Everything from staffing shops, working directly with the clients of a charity, who can be anything from children to old epople with everything in between. Most areas have Volunteer Centres (look online), failing that approach any local charity whose work you support and see what help they need.

Newquay Mon 27-Jun-16 21:36:56

I thought you didn't have to give your age/dob these days?

chelseababy Mon 27-Jun-16 21:41:19

Sounds like there might be an election soon. You could apply to your local council to be a poll clerk or do the count.

Grannyknot Mon 27-Jun-16 21:55:01

hi supernanauna1 whenever I walk past my local Waitrose in the evenings after closing time I see people that look like they are around my age (I'm 67) happily working shelf stacking etc. What about something like that?

Good for you for changing what you can flowers

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jun-16 22:00:35

I think that B&Q favour older applicants too.

Grannyknot Mon 27-Jun-16 22:20:59

If you have good keyboard skills ...how surveying this: an acquaintance of mine got a part time job typing up reports at a local GP practice. She had literally gone to all the ones in the area to ask and one offered her a job.

Grannyknot Mon 27-Jun-16 22:21:35

Not surveying! How about trying this ...