Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is Gransnet Local so bad?

(11 Posts)
Spot Thu 20-Oct-16 14:30:28

I only recently joined Gransnet, but I'm just so disappointed in the Gransnet Local section. To my mind it should be the most important part of the network.

You can't join in discussions because the "Watch" button doesn't work.

It's also really difficult to get into your own local area. Buttons seem to be missing and you have to keep clicking randomly till you get in somewhere.

tanith Thu 20-Oct-16 14:36:16

I don't find it difficult to use Spot, not sure why your 'I'm watching' button isn't working. That said I don't find anything much going on on any of my local sites they are pretty quiet especially the discussion forums.

Charleygirl Thu 20-Oct-16 14:44:01

Spot it is a member of GN living locally who volunteers to look after the local site- it is not looked after by GNHQ. That is why some sites are better than others- on my site the person was paid for a specific period of time to look after it but that payment has now stopped.

ninathenana Thu 20-Oct-16 15:00:21

I've never seen any discussions on my local site. Must admit I hardly ever go there as there never seems to be anything new.
I find the easiest way is to click forums at the top of active page and scroll to the bottom and you can click on GN local.

joannapiano Thu 20-Oct-16 15:08:05

Our local site is an absolute dead loss. Most info hasn't changed in months and what there is, is restricted to one small part of our county.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Oct-16 15:21:05

Hi Spot, sorry to hear you're having more problems with the local sites. I believe we've spoken via email and our tech team are looking into the issue you're having when trying to watch threads. We'll let you know once we know more.

In terms of the other issues you describe, the buttons all seem to be working as normal from my end. Which browser are you using? To get to your local site, all you should need to do is hover over 'Local' in the bar at the top, then when a little menu drops down, click on the 'find a local site' link. On the next page you'll be able to search for your area/county and select the right one from the list that appears underneath the search box.

And finally, we are always on the lookout for editors to take on the different sites - of which there are many! - but we certainly haven't filled them all yet. Where there isn't an editor, it's generally up to GN users to get the conversation started and encourage people to join in. We've got some fantastic editors working away at their sites, many of whom are regular contributors to the main site as well.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Oct-16 15:34:42

Here are just a couple of examples of some really fab active sites:

local.gransnet.com/colchester
local.gransnet.com/leicestershire

This is what we'd like to aim for for all our GN Local sites that are currently without editors. It's something we're continually working on and we hope to keep signing up and training great editors in the near future.

Spot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:25:47

Ah, that may explain it. There is no editor on my local site. Still, I can't watch my "secondary" local area and that does have an editor.

Spot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:29:32

Yes, I had originally thought about becoming an editor, but had second thoughts because of lack of supportive "infrastructure". I thought you might have forgotten about the problem I emailed you about!

I think I don't get the drop-down menu. I use Chrome usually - I could see what happens if I use IE.

I will have a look at those other sites - thanks

jordana Wed 02-Nov-16 11:00:15

The second place I looked on when I joined last week was for my local members and found nothing

Elegran Wed 02-Nov-16 11:59:18

Unless the local site is up and doing well, people prefer to use the main site, so no-one uses the local site and it never gets off the ground - it goes round in circles. They need editors with local knowledge putting in the work to make them good.