Gransnet forums

Chat

(114 Posts)
tigger Sun 23-Oct-16 11:46:36

Does anyone else feel a little surge of delight when "Karma" kicks in and a person who has been unkind etc gets payback without you having to do a thing except wait......

nanaK54 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:53:20

Oh yes!

Jane10 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:55:56

Is that not 'schadenfreude'? i.e. taking pleasure in another's misfortune? Interesting that both words are in another language. As if us native English speakers would do such a thing!hmm

nanaK54 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:57:20

You would surely have to be a saint not to....

Ana Sun 23-Oct-16 12:56:51

I thought that schadenfreude was a more general feeling of enjoyment at another's misfortune, while the concept of karma is that you reap what you sow, and yes it can feel good when someone gets their 'come-uppance'.

There are always some who fate never seems to catch up with, though!

kittylester Sun 23-Oct-16 13:01:07

I'd love rhe chance! grinwink

ninathenana Sun 23-Oct-16 13:21:46

grin just what I was thinking. kitty

ninathenana Sun 23-Oct-16 13:22:21

We live in hope

annsixty Sun 23-Oct-16 13:45:24

I also live in hope nina and kitty and not just about SiL Though he is high on the list at the moment. He rang my D one evening this week moaning how stressed he was with foreign business trips, 3 before Ch......s, and we were hoping his new love is giving him hassle at being left at home. she does not know anyone where they live and she cannot find a job as where they live now, as ex pats, locals are given priority. However they are going to New York for aforementioned festivities and he has managed to wangle for her to go to Vancouver with him on his next trip.

Jane10 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:18:30

Time wounds all heels!

Lona Sun 23-Oct-16 14:51:27

Me too with bells on kitty and nina!!

ninathenana Sun 23-Oct-16 16:28:58

Good one Jane grin

Mumsy Sun 23-Oct-16 17:18:46

Oh yes! says me with a smug look on my face.

Eloethan Sun 23-Oct-16 21:57:43

I think schadenfraude is slightly different in that it is enjoyment of anybody's bad fortune, whether they have upset you or not. tigger is talking about someone who she feels deserves a bit of bad luck.

Personally, I don't believe in "karma". In my experience, some of the very nicest and kindest people get some bloody awful bad luck, whereas some mean-spirited and selfish people sail through life untroubled.

phoenix Sun 23-Oct-16 22:01:35

I sometimes think that I must have done some pretty bloody awful things in a previous life.........sad

LadyGracie Sun 23-Oct-16 23:05:49

Oh yes I believe in karma, we had some very gratifying news today smile

Anya Mon 24-Oct-16 06:38:41

I find myself agreeing with Eloethan about Karma. Wish it did exist though.

annsixty Mon 24-Oct-16 08:36:10

I have said exactly that many times phoenix when life is unravelling around me. Also I know both types that Eloethan refers to.

LullyDully Mon 24-Oct-16 08:42:30

People seem to say " what goes around comes around" which seems similarly to Karma or the Wheel of Fate. . I suspect that is American. I know Karma is Hindu and Wheel of Fate medieval.
Anyway to think of another thread, Rob Titchener is hopefully going to get some soon.

Morgana Mon 24-Oct-16 09:23:35

Philip green springs to mind!

BlueBelle Mon 24-Oct-16 09:25:49

Crikey I feel dumb who's Rob Titchner

LullyDully Mon 24-Oct-16 09:31:23

Sorry Archers

Lilyflower Mon 24-Oct-16 09:32:30

Since the concept of karma is religious it is not rational and cannot be real. The current 'Pick n' Mix' attitude to belief and religion falls to the ground when people are confronted with the blunt question of, 'Do you then believe in reincarnation and that your granny can come back as an ant?' - because, of course they don't!

What we are then talking about is the mean but delicious sense of 'justice' we feel when someone disagreeable gets their comeuppance and suffers some misfortune. However, that connection between bad behaviour and suffering punishment is not an actual concurrence but is merely a coincidence onto which we are foisting an interpretation.

Nevertheless, it is an almost universal feeling of satisfaction.

SueBee47 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:33:13

I would. Karma cannot kick in soon enough as far as I am concerned as I am still waiting but I live in hope every day that karma will happen real soon. It's the only thing that's keeping me going right now

kittylester Mon 24-Oct-16 09:33:32

Or, closer to home, various sons in law morgana!