Gransnet forums

Chat

Golden Wedding

(13 Posts)
Granny1sland Sun 23-Oct-16 12:20:49

Next year (health permitting) my DH and I will be 50 years married. Don't know how to mark the occasion, looking for ideas.....
My family are spread over 400 miles, it's not school holidays, so maybe not a family meal. DH def not into cruises, or even holidays....thought of a travel adventure, but would it seem a waste of money to my family (was thinking Canada)

Auntieflo Sun 23-Oct-16 12:50:40

We did a cruise for our 40th, to the arctic and up the inside passage/ coast. Seeing ice bergs 'calving' , and going onto a glacier, with reviving drinks afterwards. Before the cruise we joined a 4 day ride through the Rockies. All the beautiful sights of Lake Louise, Jasper etc. It was brilliant, and glad we did it then, as I couldn't now. Don't worry if your family think it a waste of money, it's yours to spend and enjoy, and you will remember it forever.

ninathenana Sun 23-Oct-16 13:26:47

Who cares what family think, it's your money.
Your trip sounds fabulous Auntiflo.
If you think that's a step to far (no pun intended) what about a weekend in a 5* hotel with a sumptuous dinner for just the two of you.

M0nica Sun 23-Oct-16 15:04:08

We hit our 50th wedding anniversary and 75th birthdays in 2018. We are thinking of renting a large house somewhere nice for a week at a convenient time and inviting our nearest and dearest to join us for as many or as few days as is convenient during that week, but try to gather them all on one day for a celebratory meal together.

On the actual anniversary day we will probably just go out together for a very nice meal.

Granny1sland Sun 23-Oct-16 16:23:13

Yes, had thought of that one too....but the prices of those big houses!!! Could go to Canada for that....still thinkin...

Granny1sland Sun 23-Oct-16 16:24:16

Yes, weekend in posh hotel sounds good - thanks for idea ?

Bbnan Sun 23-Oct-16 16:25:43

Oh do go to Canada what time of the year is it?

BBbevan Sun 23-Oct-16 17:04:05

We went on a short cruise. Took DD and SiL. Plus DS,DiL and 2 DGDs. Absolutely brilliant smile

Kateykrunch Sun 23-Oct-16 17:14:20

Hi Granny1sland, we went to Canada some years ago in September and stayed in Toronto for 1 week and then 1 week in Niagra, it was wonderful flying over New Englad and Bangor Maine and seeing all the glorious red wood trees in the fall. A friend had told me Niagra was like Blackpool, I thought she was being bitchy, but it really is, but that is the touristy part rather than the falls part and the Maid of the Mist and lovely boardwalks, plus a quick hop over the bridge to New York State (we had to have a minimum of $5 US Dollars to pay for our 1 day visa (might have changed of course). Niagra on the Lake is a fabulous trip as well and we loved it. Toronto was bustling and busy, but exciting, Yonge Street! And there were lots of underground walkways and we did a visit to the Islands which are just a short ferry trip. We booked an organised 2 centre trip with everything sorted for us and it was wonderful.
For our 40th we went to Lanzarote in a 5 star all inclusive hotel and that was bliss.
Hope you get more ideas and enjoy whatever you decide.

Granny1sland Sun 23-Oct-16 19:39:09

Thank you kateykrunch. It's October, and yes I would like to fly to Toronto and then go to Labrador and Newfoundland, Nova Scotia etc. Think will have to start saving now as an organised trip sounds a good idea....now to persuade DH...

Bbnan Thu 27-Oct-16 00:16:58

Early October is fantastic...we got to see the leaves turning and it was 18 to 20 deg.....fantastic trip

Shanma Thu 27-Oct-16 00:28:42

We have never done anything for any of our anniversaries, or Birthdays come to that

Synonymous Thu 27-Oct-16 00:58:56

Granny1sland if you are both well enough to travel and enjoy a trip to Canada go for it while you can. Make lots of lovely memories! smile

Shanma it is never too late to start doing lovely things so you'd better start saving!