Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Notoriety

(36 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 27-Jan-15 11:17:15

A pop star from Taiwan held his lavish wedding in Selby Abbey and reception at Castle Howard - North Yorkshire is now expecting a tourism boom from wealthy Asians. All well and good.

According to the Daily Mail:

N Yorkshire gains international notoriety as a result of this wedding

confused

Wedding

Ana Tue 27-Jan-15 11:29:29

I see a couple of readers had picked up on that in the Comments section! Lovely dress.

annodomini Tue 27-Jan-15 11:38:30

Why 'notoriety'? What's wrong with hosting high profile weddings?

annsixty Tue 27-Jan-15 11:53:58

And what is wrong with gaining publicity.Notoriety an entirely unsuitable word.

ninathenana Tue 27-Jan-15 14:15:24

Dress is OTT for me, ut each to their own smile

Galen Tue 27-Jan-15 14:21:44

How totally incorrect! She's supposed to put the veil back for the vows (so the groom can check he's got the right bride)

thatbags Tue 27-Jan-15 14:32:19

What anno said.

If he can afford that kind of wedding and wants it why shouldn't he make his own choices? What one wants or wanted for oneself when one got married is irrelevant to this couple's choice.

And it is good publicity for Selby Abbey and Castle Howard and may well help local businesses get more custom which, in turn, will be good for Yorkshire's economy.

Riverwalk Tue 27-Jan-15 14:44:43

Er, Bags and Anno have you missed the point?

The 'journalist' or more likely the sub-editor obviously doesn't understand what notoriety means and is using that word incorrectly.

Or maybe it's me hmm

Ana Tue 27-Jan-15 15:01:51

Exactly what I thought, Riverwalk! A bit of over-thinking going on here, perhaps? grin

Anne58 Tue 27-Jan-15 15:06:36

If it's you River then it's me too! grin

Riverwalk Tue 27-Jan-15 15:12:56

Never mind the dress, what about the dapper groom? grin

All rather sweet really ..... and lucrative for all concerned!

thatbags Tue 27-Jan-15 15:19:26

Yorkshire has international notoriety already. T'aint nuthin' new. grin

Anya Tue 27-Jan-15 15:29:29

It is the DM, what do you expect!

nightowl Tue 27-Jan-15 16:21:07

Don't you mean t'int nowt new thatbags wink

Juliette Tue 27-Jan-15 16:52:31

Having fully dissected the post to the best of my limited ability, I have come to the conclusion that, as it is the Daily Mail, I am not surprised. I believe they are notorious for this kind of thing. Pretty wedding though. smile

rosequartz Tue 27-Jan-15 16:57:34

Recognition? Renown?

Of course no-one has ever heard of Yorkshire beyond its borders wink

I see an apology coming on

thatbags Tue 27-Jan-15 17:06:47

Spect I do, nightowl. I've been out of Yorkshire for too long and have forgotten the lingo!

Anne58 Tue 27-Jan-15 17:16:44

This might help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA

nightowl Tue 27-Jan-15 18:43:07

I've been out of Yorkshire for too long as well thatbags sad

And I know the lingo varies enormously from top to bottom, east to west.

phoenix I absolutely love that clip. It reminds me so much of the women I knew when I was growing up. It's so true to life it's scary.

thatbags Tue 27-Jan-15 19:13:21

DD2 went to uni in Hull (where I lived as a child for five years) so that she could do Swedish. She had some lovely "Ullisms". My favourite was when she told us how Hullers say the word 'snow'. I don't think I can write it phonetically. Anyway, they say snow in Hull in exactly the same way as Swedes say snow smile.

Anne58 Tue 27-Jan-15 19:29:53

bags that is about as helpful as someone when asked what reindeer tastes like (they had it in Lidl recently) replied "it's similar to moose"

janerowena Tue 27-Jan-15 19:41:01

They pronounce it 'sner'. It's not surprising, the Viking influence is very strong in 'ull. They have in that area a higher proportion of natural pale blondes than anywhere else in the country.

janerowena Tue 27-Jan-15 19:43:57

Although in their north it's a bit more up at the end, with two syllables, a bit like going to Louth in Lincs and hearing a native say 'Lowerth'. So that would make it 'sner-a' with silent R.

rosequartz Tue 27-Jan-15 20:37:41

I think Yorkshire has gained notoriety since Last Tango in Halifax.

The goings-on oop north, who'd have believed it! wink

Iam64 Wed 28-Jan-15 13:41:15

Eh Up rosequartz, not just Yorkshire, a lot of the filming is done here in Lancashire, our moors blend into the Yorkshire Moors. The filming at Caroline's school takes place at Bolton School, an independent school based in Bolton. Not that there's any competition between Yorkshire and Lancashire tha knows.

My husband and his walking pals were initially refused bookings at a Yorkshire B&B, because they were a group of 6 men. During the subsequent phone call, it was explained to the proprietor this was a group of retired 60 somethings, who wanted to walk and may have a beer in the evening with their meal at the pub, but wouldn't be "trouble". OK - but noooo smirking said the owner.

It must be common pronunciation at it appeared in one of Victoria Wood's christmas shows, with people standing around under a sign that said "no smirking", all smirking away smile