Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Plural of still-life

(52 Posts)
grumppa Sun 26-Apr-15 11:41:56

In the Schlossmuseum in Weimar last week I noticed that one of the English versions of the explanation boards in each room referred to a couple of paintings as still lives. My initial reaction was that in this instance the plural should be still-lifes. Any views?

Charleygirl Sun 26-Apr-15 11:48:21

A difficult one, I suppose that it could be either but I do not know the correct version. If I had to choose it would be your version.

janeainsworth Sun 26-Apr-15 11:51:32

Still-life paintings.

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 11:53:40

Wikipedia says 'still-lifes', and I agree!

janerowena Sun 26-Apr-15 11:58:12

I would choose janeA's method, pictures or paintings. The other sounds too clumsy.

etheltbags1 Sun 26-Apr-15 12:10:07

whats wrong with still- lives as in human lives.

aggie Sun 26-Apr-15 12:25:55

still-life paintings are usually of objects not people so nothing alive , the Victorians were great at dead pheasants and stuff

Bellanonna Sun 26-Apr-15 12:32:54

Both still lifes and still lives sound wrong. I'd go with still life paintings, section, etc

grumppa Sun 26-Apr-15 12:56:26

Interesting point about qualifying the word by adding paintings, but in the context of a picture gallery, where this question arose, it looks a bit superfluous.

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 13:00:58

Oddly, still-lifes sounds perfectly fine to me, and that's the one I'd go with. I think it's because I don't 'feel' the term has anything to do with life; it's just a description of a particular art form or genre. Therefore one still-life, several still-lifes.

ninathenana Sun 26-Apr-15 15:29:01

I don't think it's superfluous in this case to say paintings. Yes, it was obvious that's what they were but by transferring the plural to 'painting' rather than 'life' the phrase doesn't sound so clumsy.

Bellanonna Sun 26-Apr-15 18:03:01

Ok, why not just "still life" ? Doesn't really require the plural

Gracesgran Sun 26-Apr-15 18:42:55

If you look it up there is an answer as follows:

I would say still life has undergone reification, which transforms it into a "standalone word". How the subcomponent elements work grammatically doesn't automatically affect how the composite form works.

Effectively it's a kind of neologism - not really "new" today, but a lot later than the original word life with its irregular plural. Neologisms almost always have regular plural and verb forms.

I would certainly agree that using either of the words "still" or "life" on their own does not convey the intended meaning so "still life" has become the same as one word. This would make sense of "still lives" as a plural.

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 18:55:03

Not to me - it doesn't sound right at all. If 'still life' is a standalone word, then 'still lifes' must be its plural.

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 19:06:06

"^Effectively it's a kind of neologism - not really "new" today, but a lot later than the original word life with its irregular plural. Neologisms almost always have regular plural and verb forms.^"

So if this is accepted as a neologism and neologisms almost always have regular plural and verb forms, then following this logic, it would be "still lifes" not "lives" which is the irregular plural of the original word.

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 19:07:55

aagghh, that was supposed to be in italics, like the original post. I guess I should have put a space between " and ^ ? Too much to work out for yourself with this formatting stuff angry

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 19:21:26

AshTree it's ^ at each end not *^

No idea which form is correct but I thought still life applied to one or many confused

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 19:57:02

loopylou I was putting a ^ at each end to italicise it, but I also wanted to show it was a quote, so I put speech marks at each end as well (not asterisks)
Maybe I should have put a space after the speech mark? Don't know...

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 20:00:47

Yes, I think that's what you should have done, Ash Tree. It can be fiddly - I always preview before I post when I'm doing things like that, although that doesn't guarantee I get it right...confused

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 20:05:31

I'm forever cocking the whotsits up!
I think a space would work.......... smile

Starling Sun 26-Apr-15 22:53:11

According to the Tate:

"Note the plural of still life is still lifes, and the term is not hyphenated."

www.tate.org.uk/learn/online-resources/glossary/s/still-life

Greenfinch Sun 26-Apr-15 23:21:42

I still think of it as an adjective and therefore in English it would not have a plural.

TriciaF Mon 27-Apr-15 16:24:05

Same opinion as Greenfinch above.
This is a similar discussion tho the one about text - a noun or a verb.
This time a noun or an adjective?

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 16:58:19

An adjective that over time has become a noun perhaps? I prefer it as an adjective.

Ana Mon 27-Apr-15 17:06:13

It's a noun. It's a genre of painting or drawing, not an adjective.