Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

'for free'

(40 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 25-Aug-15 10:20:56

Have finally been driven to joining Gransnet by intense hatred of the term 'for free'. I caught sight of it at the bottom of the page when reading the the chester draws thread and saw red.

In the context of getting something without payment 'for' needs to be followed by a quantity. 'Free' is not a quantity, it is just a contraction of the phrase 'free of charge'. I know 'for free' sounds charmingly alliterative but it is just plain WRONG. It's 'for nothing', if you really insist on using 'for', or just 'free'.

Am I the only person left who knows this?

hildajenniJ Tue 25-Aug-15 10:31:27

Hello MaizieD and welcome. Using "for free" annoys me too. It is either free or for x amount. I know exactly how you feel.

Luckygirl Tue 25-Aug-15 10:44:59

I think it is an americanism.

Alea Tue 25-Aug-15 10:59:39

One of my late Scottish granny's favourite sayings was that something was "free, gratis and for nothing"!

Stansgran Tue 25-Aug-15 11:03:57

Alea I say it. But I'm not your granny. It's usually when I point out that plates should be used when DH is walking through the house with a shedding sandwich.

MaizieD Wed 26-Aug-15 13:47:46

I'm glad I'm not the only one, then grin

My Mum used to say 'free, gratis and for nothing' too. (note: not 'for free, gratis etc.)

I first saw 'for free' in the 1970s with Richard Mabey's 'Food For Free' but it didn't catch on then. Why has it suddenly popped up all over the place 40 years later, and why is Gransnet, who really ought to know better, using it?

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 13:50:41

Money for nothing, chicks for free... As the Dire Straits song goes.Yes, it's an Americanism, one of many that swim over here across the wide Atlantic.

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 14:03:13

I cant stand "park up". Why can't people just park their cars?

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 14:11:47

"shedding sandwich"

grin

Love that, stansgran. Consider it purloined for use in my house.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 14:13:16

Although, if you have a dog, it will soon be hoovered up!

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 14:16:10

As for the phrase "for free"... shrug. Use it if you like it. Don't if you don't. Get all het up about americanisms if you want to; don't if you're more relaxed about how the English language is used on another continent and then, as roses said, swims over here.

I don't agree that it's incorrect. Not any more. Not since that Dire Straits song.

I bet phrases Shakespeare used sometimes annoyed people back then. Shrug again.

MaizieD Wed 26-Aug-15 19:08:24

Why on earth would the fact that Dire Straits sang it make it now 'correct'?

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 19:20:32

Because Dire Straits are cool.smile

Anne58 Wed 26-Aug-15 19:23:50

Maybe not "correct" Maizie but perhaps accepted? By some , at least, can't say I like the phrase though! (Songs alright)

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:16:24

Seems to me that a great deal of space in Pedants' Corner is used for people to complain about how other people speak even when the meaning of what is being said is perfectly clear. I thought pedantry was to discuss uses (usages?) of language that made meaning unclear. Pedantry isn't really just personal preference nit-picking, is it?

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:21:06

Actually nitpicking is probably right. As you were with your nitpicking. #pedantryforfree!

I think I was thinking of a grammarian rather than a pedant.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:22:08

There are a lot of very easily irritated people about, 'twould seem.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 20:29:08

And we haven't even started on Scottish-isms yet, or Welsh-isms or Nothern Ireland -isms.grin

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 20:30:35

Or Cornish -isms, or Norfolk-isms, or.........

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 20:38:53

Wow thatbags - can't believe you were nearly being pedantic about pedantry! grin

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:46:16

Only nearly, j10? Rats! Another failure to chalk up.

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 20:53:21

You did retrieve it. Write out must try harder 100 times!

janerowena Wed 26-Aug-15 21:01:09

I had supper last night with a friend who has just returned from a convention in Los Angeles. She told me that one event was 'so fun' and I felt like screaming!

Americanisms must be as catching as the bubonic plague.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 21:13:20

It was fun. Tick.
It was enjoyable. Tick.
It was so enjoyable! Tick.
It was so fun! Apparently no tick. Why not?

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 21:21:09

Nobody ever said English grammar was consistent or even logical. We just know when it sounds wrong!