Gransnet forums

Pets

Diabetes in elderly dachshund

(13 Posts)
granjura Wed 27-Aug-14 13:17:27

We had to adopt our DD2 dachshund last year- he is approx 13 years old, from the RSPCA- legs terribly bowed, but loves life still. Recently, he has lost weight, started to drink far more than normal, and having to wee lots and often- at times getting caught out in the house. So we guessed, and vet confirmed quite severe diabetes on Monday. Now on strict RoyalCanin diabetes food- and will re-test in 2 weeks to see if he needs start on insulin.

Anyone here with experience in insulin for dogs? I'd much rather use a pen type rather than injections, if at all possible. We just want him to have another year or at least some months of quality life before he goes to sleep, with or without help. I don't really like small dogs, but have got quite attached to him- he is such a cutie.

Like a geriatric home here, with our own dog about 14 (found in the streets) and a cat about 14, found in a cardboard box by M69/M1 junction- with another cat and 10 kittens!

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 13:28:20

Pens are injections. It's just easier to administer than a syringe.
My ex daughter in law has a cat on insulin, aged 16. She's been giving it injections for over two years now, and it seems perfectly healthy.
The good thing with animals is that you can balance the food you give with the insulin. Humans can be more awkward and want cake.

granjura Wed 27-Aug-14 15:51:28

I know, I have Type2 diabetes (not sure what emoticon to add!)...

ninathenana Wed 27-Aug-14 16:09:39

Are diabetic humans or dogs treated with syringes as opposed to pens anymore?? I spent 10yrs as a vet assistant and only remember animals being treated with tablets.
I have used a pen for Type2 myself for past couple of years. Syringes weren't mentioned. A friend's DH is Type1 he uses pens too.

granjura Fri 05-Sep-14 10:21:55

Actually, it is impossible to control what a dog eats- in as such that if he refuses the diabetic (Royal Canin) dog food prescribed by the vet- what on earth do you do? Watch it starve? The only way we can get him to eat, is to poach fresh fish and chicken- thus avoiding all carbs but giving him food that he wants to eat. So perhaps not cake .... but.

granjura Sun 14-Sep-14 13:59:48

Just back from 2 weeks in Tuscany- and Slinky nearly didn't make it. He got worse as we got there, lethargic, no appetite- and losing weight rapidly and we took him to a vet on the Thursday who wanted us to come back 5 times on the Friday for tests- a young vet without experience. We then got an appointment with the head vet the next day (30 miles round trip)- who saw immediately that he needed to go on insulin immediately after doing simple blood and urine tests. Got him some fish to mix with his new food for diabetics, and he immediately started to get better and put weight back on. He coped wo well with the long journey back- and will be going to our local vet next week to see if his insulin dose needs to be adjusted.

Yes, he is 14, which is a great age for a dachsund (RSPCA rescue)- but f we can give him a few more months or 1 year of 2 of quality life- why not. We've both got very attached to him since we had to adopt him.

apricot Fri 19-Sep-14 19:35:30

No experience of diabetes but I've just adopted a dog from Many Tears Rescue and on their website needing a home are two 12 year old dachshunds. They're very fat and their poor old owner has had to go into a care home. I think granjura needs to adopt them!
Dachshunds are tough, all of ours lived to 14+ years.

granjura Fri 19-Sep-14 20:05:09

Aghhhh- I live in Switzerland and have 2 adopted dogs who don't really get on- so I don't think this is going to happen- but I so hope they find good forever homes- as long as that is.

Slinky is doing much better- we went back for tests on Thursday, and his glucose levels are still too high, so insulin has been upped. His true mom has just landed at Geneva airport to come and say good bye- and hopefully it will just be hello and see you at Christmas Slinkster. It's wonderful to see him full of beans again, strutting his stuff and eating with gusto. He certainly loves the addition of fish to his diabetic (Royal Canin) pellets!!!

As said, I am really not a small dog person- but he has stolen my heart. We will give him as many months we can of quality life and then....
He is such a cutie.

granjura Fri 19-Sep-14 20:05:56

And oh... just to clarify, he has never ever been overweight or fed outside meals, etc ;)

granjura Fri 19-Sep-14 21:01:06

Checked out those 2 dachshunds- my goodness they are huge. Slinky is about 1/3 of the size, but same fawn colour with distinguished white nose.

durhamjen Sat 20-Sep-14 00:11:10

If as you say you cannot control whether he eats or not, the modern way is to see what he eats first, then give him injections to balance.
I am talking from experience of my husband being diabetic for 45 years, not dogs, so could be completely wrong.

durhamjen Sat 20-Sep-14 00:12:15

My husband was never overweight or fed outside meals, either, granjura.

granjura Sat 20-Sep-14 16:21:14

We can totally control what he eats of course- but we can't force him to eat. When he stopped eating 2 weeks ago, we got him fish to encourage him back, and it worked. he is feeling so much better- so he is back on his Royal Canin diabetic pellets + a little crumbled fish and a splash of milk, and he is so looking forward to it (2 x a day)- he then has his insulin after the morning meal, and as good and gold with it.

Daughter arrived last night to visit him ... and us. Let's hope he will still be around and enjoying life when she comes back for Christmas. We won't let him linger when quality of life goes. Thanks.

I am so sorry your dear OH lost his battle durhamjen- that must have been so hard, and of course can't be compared with the plight of a little dog.