Gransnet forums

Pets

Bit tense....cat under anaesthetic.

(20 Posts)
Katek Tue 25-Nov-14 10:33:06

Just back from taking our big chap to the vet. He'd been drooling for a couple of days, not eating and had very bad breath. Vet thinks he may have animal/bird bone stuck in his gum as it bled when she tried to look. I've had to leave him for examination under anaesthetic and I'm a bit worried as he's 10. Sure he'll be fine, but will be happier when they call me.

AngelaC Tue 25-Nov-14 10:40:14

Hope he's ok Katek, our cat got a bone stuck across his palette between his back teeth and the Vet had to sedate him to get a grip on it and remove it. Only took half a minute and Kit was fine.

Katek Tue 25-Nov-14 11:05:47

That's a relief that it's done so quickly....was worried about sedation in older cat. He's big (6k) healthy cat so I'm just getting wound up over nothing. Always a worry with pets.....!

glammanana Tue 25-Nov-14 11:06:01

KatyK I'm sure he will be fine we feel for them so much when they are at the vets don't we,when we had Barney he had a small bone stick across the back of his throat and it took the vet just a few minutes to get it out but he was bouncing about when we went to collect him.flowers

shysal Tue 25-Nov-14 11:57:52

I hope all will be well for your big old boy, Katek. He will feel so much better when it is all over, then you can treat him to something tasty.

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 14:12:54

I quite agree- its a horrible worrying time for you. Poor puss too! Hope all goes well and you`ll soon have him back on your lap purring like crazy and being his usual self.

Katek Tue 25-Nov-14 18:14:57

Well, Gus is home with the most enormous pupils! Poor boy is still a bit out of it. Turns out he had a penetrating would behind his back teeth. Vet says it's known as a stick injury in a dog but for the life of us we cannot work out how he managed to get this injury. A cat fight would have left him with lacerations not a puncture. He's had it all cleaned out and treated with laser to help healing and he's also had pain killing injection and long lasting antibiotic injection. He's currently ensconced on our bed (normally out of bounds!) looking very sorry for himself. On the plus side all the pre op bloods showed he was very healthy and vet descaled his teeth while he was asleep as well! My Xmas fund has taken a big hit but he's so worth it. Thanks for all the encouraging posts.

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 18:43:50

Only just found this thread, so pleased that he is back home and on the mend. I'm sure he is worth every penny of the bill.

merlotgran Tue 25-Nov-14 19:11:05

Such a relief to get them home and well, Katek

shysal Tue 25-Nov-14 19:17:11

Good news Katek. Hope he will soon be his old self.

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:48:38

Glad to hear the good news. Vets can be v expensive. We had a huge bill in the summer but Big Baz is worth it. I suppose that's why we have a rainy day fund!

Anne58 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:52:27

Glad all's well!

I'm still paying off my last vet bill, (even though we didn't have our beloved Maurice still with us at then end). Thank goodness for understanding vets!

Digby and Oliver Sprout are under very strict instructions NOT to need a visit until we are back in the black!

numberplease Tue 25-Nov-14 20:59:23

So glad Gus is OK KateK.

annodomini Tue 25-Nov-14 21:46:00

Good news about Gus, KateK. And 10 isn't so very old for a cat. Lots of them go on twice as long. Here's to lots more of his 9 lives!

tiggypiro Tue 25-Nov-14 22:16:27

So pleased Gus is home safe and sound KatyK. Purdy Puss (the kitten who adopted me 2 months ago) is to be spayed and microchipped on Friday so I too will be on tenterhooks until I get the call to collect her. At least she will then be allowed to go out into the garden.

Katek Fri 28-Nov-14 23:47:56

Pleased to report that after a sleepy day on Wednesday Gus has returned to his usual serene self. He is still on mashed up pate but seems quite happy with that for the moment. We've let him out again which improved his mood no end!!

tiggypiro Sat 29-Nov-14 08:43:36

I'm so pleased that Gus is on the mend Katek.
Purdy had her op yesterday and came through very well indeed. She has 2 stitches in and has to wear a collar as she was trying to chew them. The problem is she managed to get the collar off during the night even though I had it on as tight as I felt it could go. Consequently she only has one stitch left so it will be back to the vet this morning !

Charleygirl Sat 29-Nov-14 13:12:29

Pleased to hear that Gus is now back to normal. They can be such a worry, can they not, when the anxious parent is waiting at home for news!

tiggypiro that little minx does not realise that she is costing you money. I ma not sure what the answer is, she obviously thinks that she knows best!

tiggypiro Sat 29-Nov-14 15:48:22

Yes Charleygirl it was another £15 to get one clip put in !! She has been warned that if it happens again I will get a needle and thread and do it myself ! So far today she has taken heed of my warning and the collar is still intact.

shysal Sat 29-Nov-14 16:26:55

Tiggy, when my cats were spayed, several years ago now,the vet gave me some bitter stuff to put around the stitches to stop them licking or biting. It worked a treat!