Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog fostering and adoption

(21 Posts)
Sheena Fri 13-Feb-15 14:26:13

Hello All.....Do any of you lovely people foster rescue dogs? or maybe adopted one or more? I am involved with www.ukromaniandogrescue.com/ I have fostered four dogs for them..three of which went to their very own forever homes and one little one sort of stayed !!! she is an absolute delight..and real little cuddle-bum ! Also, I have two retired ex racing greyhounds who are such lovely gentle creatures asking little more than a bit of fuss, a warm bed and a full tummy !
I'd love to hear from any of you who maybe foster...or who have greyhounds...or who might like some info on fostering..it is so very rewarding.....I am guessing most of us are retired now with a little bit more time on our hands .... and maybe need a reason for getting out and about for a walk...I know I do....and my dogs do just that.....and such good company too.
I am in Surrey and it's a real cold wet afternoon...hope it's better wherever you are smile

Tegan Fri 13-Feb-15 14:41:36

I had thought about fostering whippets as my own whippet would love a companion but I couldn't afford to permanently keep two dogs [it's the insurance that's crippling]. Greyhounds are too big, in that my kitchen, utility room and part of the garden are geared up for a smaller dog. There are quite a few of us sighthound fans on here!

granjura Fri 13-Feb-15 14:48:05

Sheena, our lives have been really improved thanks to the joys of adopting dogs and cats from refuges. I know conditions are dire in Romania- but the key is to spend money and time on catching and neutering/speying dogs- not export them. Otherwise the problem just keeps going, on and one, without a hope in sight. This has been understood by many dog charitiies all over the world. Dogs that are injured or in too bad a state should be humanly put to sleep as part of the programme. I know some disagree- but I say this as a true dog lover- and I totally disagree with the Dog's Trust that alife behind bars is a better alternative for dogs which cannot be re-homed due to behavioural problems and risks.

Refuges in the UK are full to the brim with every kind of unwanted pets.
Much much better to catch, neuter and release, with supervision, in situ.

Anne58 Fri 13-Feb-15 15:27:42

A friend who now lives in Mexico has set up and is running (very successfully) a charity founded on neutering.

Tegan have you thought about the Cinnamon Trust? They look for temporary foster homes for the pets of older people while they are in hospital.

Soutra Fri 13-Feb-15 22:19:41

We are on to our third retired racing greyhound, the gorgeous Grace. Unlike our previous hounds she never attempts to go on the furniture or to go upstairs sad and she barks. She is a gentle giant (unless you are a squirrel in which case you are fair game) and the only downside is that she has just had her twelfth birthday so every day is all the more precious.

crun Sat 14-Feb-15 15:12:11

Wufra smile

glammanana Sat 14-Feb-15 15:48:46

We found fostering very worthwhile when we had the space in our family house,we did it for many years they arrived from families who had just abandoned them & moved to looking after whilst owner was too poorly to care for them,we have always been able to re-home abet with a few coming back until the forever home is found,I used to go to work and leave our own dogs and maybe a couple of rescues with hubby only to return home to find a couple more had joined the gang,OH could never say no.It is very worthwhile but we can't do it now as we are in a 1 bed Apartment but we do have in residence the delightful Poppy who was rescued when her owner died.OH goes to the dog pound every few weeks to walk with the dogs who are kept there and if we had more space I know some would come home with him.

Anya Sat 14-Feb-15 16:43:57

Likewise over the years we've had a variety of dogs from a variety of sources. At one time we had 4 dogs and one of them had a litter of six puppies making ten in all
We kept one of the pups and one of the dogs and managed to find good home for the others - though they often came to stay when their owners went on holiday.

glammanana Sat 14-Feb-15 16:53:41

Anya what a joy all those puppies,we had mum & dad basset and 6 pups once with three rescues/ a pot bellied pig /two cats who adopted us/and Tyson the kickboxing rabbit the house resembled a zoo sometimes but we enjoyed doing it.smile

Anya Sat 14-Feb-15 17:01:02

Did I forget to mention the two cats, the ducks, the Shetland pony and the three rescue goats. Not joking. You sound like my kind of person Glamma ...mind, I was younger then.

Tegan Sat 14-Feb-15 17:24:06

Wufra looks like a Saluki cross and will most likely take of after a rabbit and do the same again as soon as he's mobile again. Of course, the first thing he'll do will be to take over the sofa. Soutra; I'm amazed that Grace doesn't get on the sofa. I'm having a new burglar alarm fitted and was told that I could leave the alarm on because pets on the ground won't trigger it; I had to point out that whippets don't stay on the ground but run round the walls like a velodrome [sp] before finally stopping on the sofa.

Iam64 Sat 14-Feb-15 18:06:07

My life has been enriched by sharing with a succession of rescue dogs. I've fostered for one of the rescue charities and fund raise for our local shelter. I have friends who have dogs from Romania/Greece/Cyprus but I agree with granjura about putting efforts into castrating/neutering rather than bringing the dogs to the UK.

There are so many dogs already here that need new homes. Sadly, overwhelmingly they are staffie/bull dog crosses. The rising popularity of the woolf type dogs is worrying and I expect they'll be filling shelters soon.

Sheena Sat 14-Feb-15 18:49:38

Thanks for all your replies..... and all your various stories..what a busy lot your are smile . Yes the neutering issue is such an important one and the particular rescue I help are well aware of the importance and we fund raise as much as possible for this purpose . Greyhounds are such easy and lazy dogs..people often say to me "I bet they need a lot of exercise".....but No way !!!! they are such couch potatoes !

Lovely to hear from you all

apricot Sat 14-Feb-15 19:27:16

I'm another who disagrees with importing homeless dogs whilst our own rescue centres are full.
I've recently adopted an ex-breeding bitch from Many Tears, who have dogs in foster homes all over the country. She evidently came from a decent breeder, not a puppy farm, as she is absolutely perfect in every way. She doesn't like cold wet walks, really wanting a soft lap instead, but gets two walks daily with my other dog because it's good for us all. Roll on spring!

nigglynellie Sat 28-Mar-15 19:23:17

We lost our beloved spaniel about a year ago and have thought long and hard about giving a home to another 'darling'. The thing that puts us off is a)our age, (granny!!)and b) the cost of veterinary care, which has spiralled out of our financial radar for anything more than the most mundane treatment!! It's a dilemma as we both love animals and would love to give a forever home to a rescue. I know about insurance, but that's very costly too.

Sheena Sun 29-Mar-15 13:25:42

Hi Nigglynellie...firstly I am so sorry you have lost your dog....the grief is awful isn't it , and I'm sure even a year on you must miss him or her such a lot. We have lost so many dogs over the years to illness, but each time we've immediately got another...not to replace...we can never do that, but we call it "moving on"..and a new dog really helps us through our grief..gives us something to focus on. I do agree that the vets' bills can be horrendous.., but like you we are Grandma (and Grandad !!) to 5 little ones I don't think you should worry about your age (our dogs' ages are 8 and 7 and the little Rommie rescue is 2 !! ). the insurance we use is Animal Friends (I'm not promoting them honest ! ) but they have such a good scale of cover for various monthly premiums, and they don;t break the bank. Please Nigglenellie reconsider smile...I bet you won't regret it....and would you consider a retired greyhound ? they are such easy dogs, total couch potatoes, need very little exercise, hardly moult, and are easy to feed...I wouldn't be without my two ever. Good luck

nigglynellie Mon 30-Mar-15 17:40:18

Thanks Sheena. Your post was so kind and has given us food for thought. The insurance sounds really interesting and sounds well worth investigating. We do miss our little Milie so very much. At first it was awful, but now we can talk about her without welling up! We have some Dutch friends visiting this summer, and when they've gone (they haven't come yet and I'm talking about them going!!)!!) we will give giving a 'rescue' a forever home some very serious thought.

rosesarered Mon 30-Mar-15 18:59:22

I am bemused that dogs are being brought over from Romania, so now we have immigrant animals as well.does this happen from any other countries, that dogs are brought here?

Sheena Tue 31-Mar-15 07:23:25

Yes rosesarered...dogs are rescued from lots of European countries and come here for safety and loving forever homes.... Greece, Bulgaria, Spain . Cyprus as well as from Romania. There are lots of rescue organisations up and down the country helping the plight of these poor dogs and getting them out of hell-holes, dreadful suffering and cruelty, and also most certain death by the most foul means. No humane injection for them to be put to sleep I'm afraid. Also dogs from Thailand find sanctuary here. I know many are against bringing dogs over to here....but I believe that a dog (and cat ) deserves help, saftey and love no matter what country they are from sad

nigglynellie Tue 31-Mar-15 07:37:49

I agree wholeheartedly Sheena, the cruelty meete out to these poor unfortunate creatures is just unbearable to read about, and I take my hat off to all the people trying to help.them. If I was young again, I too would be wanting to do SOMETHING! but I would for so many awful situations and you can't chop yourself into lots of bits!

Sheena Tue 31-Mar-15 08:14:29

smile flowers x