Gransnet forums

Pets

Getting a dog in retirement

(67 Posts)
Retrolady Sat 06-Feb-16 19:59:27

Hi everyone, wonder if anyone has any thoughts ... I have recently sort-of retired - doing voluntary work and not claiming pension yet. The OH is nearly retirement age. He is wondering how he is going to fill his time when he does take the plunge and I wondered if anyone else has got a dog when they retired. He always had dogs until we married so has experience, albeit not recently. I don't have any experience and I was wary of dogs as a child - not a problem now. We both love walking and being outdoors and have often commented that a dog would be lovely on our walks. Of course, I realise there is a whole lot more to it than that - training etc.... and what about getting a rescue dog. We have a lovely RSPCA centre near us, so could visit and chat to the workers there. Over to Gransnetters - especially anyone who has rehomed a dog when they (the humans, I mean) are 60+ and active. Thanks.

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:52:31

Don't know where all the doggy GNers are. I'm a cat person but did contemplate a dog but a move to a 4th floor flat saw that idea off. Good luck getting some sensible advice. Sorry I can't help!

GrannieBumble Sat 06-Feb-16 20:52:48

Go for it Retrolady, you will both love having a loyal companion and you will get extra brownie points if you get a rescue dog, good for you for thinking about it !

Regalo Sat 06-Feb-16 20:56:49

Absolutely go for it. We have never been without a dog. If you didn't want the total commitment , rescue centres are always looking for volunteers to walk the dogs. Or you could be a boarder for such organisations as Guide dogs. We have just taken on a guide dog puppy who will be with us for 12-14 months until he goes to advanced training. Hard work but absolutely gorgeous and very rewarding. Not sure our 13 year old dog thinks quite the same as us though! Keep us posted!

spyder08 Sat 06-Feb-16 21:07:32

Totally agree with GrannieBumble...getting a dog, in my opinion, is one of the best things you could do. A loyal friend to share your retirement! We have 2 smallish dogs, both rescues and I wouldn't be without them.
Both my husband and myself are well into our sixties.
You could of course consider taking an older dog who is looking for a home.
I hope you decide to take the plunge, I am sure you won't regret it!?

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 21:13:29

Do it smile

SueGWarks Sat 06-Feb-16 21:23:10

We have always had dogs and now enjoy our three year old Labrador even more as we have time to go for longer walks. It also gets you up and out, whatever the weather. We have recently started helping with GDBA and board trainee guide dogs for periods of six months. It is very rewarding though time consuming (you have to take them to training school on Mondays to Fridays), our dog loves having these doggie visitors! So go for it, you won't regret it.

Anniebach Sat 06-Feb-16 22:01:45

If you really like dogs do have one , no better companion , you get unconditional love too smile

midgey Sat 06-Feb-16 22:08:22

I totally agree, a dog is the best thing in retirement, I would be nuts by now without mine! You do have to bear in mind that it is a tie, you have to think ahead and plan visits etc. If you rehome one bear in mind that not all dogs like cars or may be poor travellers. The drawbacks are so far outweighed by the pluses but you need to consider them.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Feb-16 22:22:17

I'm with the pro dog brigade.

We've had giant breeds all our life but now we're retired our newest mate is a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He gets my husband out very day. He's the perfect TV watching mate and we chose him specifically as a breed that's good with children.

I think a dog sounds like a good choice for you but do consider everything.

1. How much exercise do you want to HAVE to give your dog. A well exercised dog will be a happy dogs. Not all larger breeds need a lot, some small dogs do.

2. Will you be prepared to start training from 8 weeks. Walking in the countryside will mean a well trained dog is essential.

3. Does it have to be a puppy? I prefer that because with a rescue you get bad habits too perhaps.

4 . Don't buy from a puppy farm. Buy from a reputable breeder . It doesn't have to be show quality but it does have to be healthy.

5. It's not cheap to own any pet but the rewards ( for me) far outweigh the costs.

You could offer your foster services with your local dogs home to see how dog ownership experience goes.

I wish you every success!! It's worth it !

mumofmadboys Sat 06-Feb-16 23:19:05

Our dog came from a rescue place. She was only eight weeks old when we got her. We are young retirees_58 and 61. We do lots of walking and our dog loves it. We walk her four times daily. She hates the rain. I must confess we never went to training classes!
I'm sure you won't regret the decision Retrolady.

Greyduster Sun 07-Feb-16 08:31:01

We always said we'd get a dog when we retired, but then DH changed his mind. He said they're 'tying'. I'm hoping at some stage he might change it back again. I'd set my sights on a Border Terrier!

Marmark1 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:00:49

Retrolady, they can be a tie,something you have to keep in mind because it's not fair to leave them for too long,but they give a lot back,ours is small enough to tuck under your arm,loves to play with a ball,and is too spoilt.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 09:05:26

HUGE question for us too at the moment. Our very elderly Gatsby had to be put to sleep in April, and our Slinky is getting to the very end (now diabetic with insulin twice a day, and totally blind- but still very happy) - both 17.

I've promised we would have a gap to do some of the travelling we had to put on hold. We travel often, but for 2 weeks max- and my fabulous neihgbour looks after the cat and takes Slinky to her home. But we want to go to Australia/Tasmania for 6 weeks, and then back to South AFrica for 3- then we will see. I just cannot imagine my life without a dog-and the walking is so good for all.

Ideally, I would like to find another couple who feel the same, and who have the same 'philosophy' about how to keep a dog (eg very much part of the family, but no 'humanisation, so dressing up, no sleeping in our bed, no titbits during the day) - and adopt 2 dogs from a rescue that are good friends, and from the beginning, have each others for week-ends, holidays, etc. That would be fabulous.

oldgoat Sun 07-Feb-16 09:09:24

Although we've always been cat people, OH loves dogs and enjoys taking DD's dogs out when we visit. I would like to buy him a dog to get him out of the house (for exercise, that is!) and fancy a cockapoo. Friends who have one, sourced theirs from a website. I am just worried about how to be sure that we wouldn't be buying from a puppy farm. I suspect that the people who run these places are pretty devious. Any advice would be welcome, please.

NanaandGrampy Sun 07-Feb-16 09:12:26

That's a brilliant idea Granjura.

We like to travel too but we're lucky that our youngest DD has Sam or if not , as is the case this week , we have 2 young friends who love dogs but can't have one full time and they have Sam.

He's gets a very different experience in each home in as much as his exercise levels go up when he is with our friends but has the company of two of his favourite little people at my DDs.

But I love your idea.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 09:32:28

Makes sense doesn' it. In fact, I am surprised the Dog's Trust and other dog charities have not thought about this, and perhaps set up a register of pairs of dogs that get on well, and 'advertise' them in pairs for 2 retired couples or singles to adopt together. Might even write to them and suggest it. Of course couples would have to live fairly near, and also, as said, agree on basic principles (for use, never feeding bits from the table, only 1 snack a day, no in our bed sleeping, whether allowed on settee or not- etc- and agree to stick to those 'rules'- or it won't work).

Gmittens Sun 07-Feb-16 10:27:35

We retired to Cyprus in 2003 and immediately took on a rescue puppy, a terrier mix, who we loved - she made sure we kept fit because one or other of us would walk her twice a day. She was such a joy, but unfortunately we lost her on Boxing Day 2014 when she was attacked and killed by 2 wild dogs. We decided not to replace her, as we enjoy travelling, and we have recently started fostering dogs. This has given us back the enjoyment of having a pet in the house and the regular walks, but the benefit is that we know how long we will have the dog (because the organisation we are helping finds new homes for the dogs, and we have them until they fly, generally a couple of weeks). The benefit to the organisation means that they help 2 dogs each time, the one that is being fostered, and the space created in the dog sanctuary can be filled by another rescue dog - so everyone benefits!

seacliff Sun 07-Feb-16 10:40:09

I'm a cat person, but did once have a dog also, and loved the way she made me go for a walk, whatever the weather, which was really good for me, mentally and physically.

My cousin lives alone and has been thinking of getting a little dog. The trouble is, she quite often likes to go shopping/lunch for the day with a friend, being out at least 8 or 9 hours. She has no close neighbours she could call on to take the dog out lunchtime, so that puts her off, as a dog can't be left for too long.

I do think the dog share is a great idea.

Anniebach Sun 07-Feb-16 10:43:17

If I was considering a rescue dog I wouldn't go to the RSPCA, there are excellent sanctuaries who place their dogs in foster homes first , any problems is easier to pick up in a home than in a kennel

Charleygirl Sun 07-Feb-16 10:47:33

I am more of a cat person but many years ago when I had 2 weeks holiday and my ex was abroad on business, I agreed to look after 2 large dogs belonging to friends. When they returned from their holiday, one dog did not want to return- she had been walked x2 a day, allowed free run of the garden and thoroughly enjoyed herself as she normally lived in a flat. It was embarrassing watching her being dragged out to their car!

Go for it if you have weighed up the pros and cons and go for a rescue dog.

midgey Sun 07-Feb-16 11:01:56

There is an organisation, I don't know the name or perhaps it's just in some areas...someone owns a dog but for whatever reason can't walk it regularly or is prepared to let you " borrow" it for a weekend. If you could find the right dog and owners it could work really well for some people. All the bonus none of the aggro!

Lyndylou Sun 07-Feb-16 15:36:13

I agreed my partner could have a dog when he retired if it was totally his responsibility. Yes I know that was very trusting of me! I've only ever had cats and never wanted a dog, even to the point I was slightly nervous of them. So 7 months ago we picked up a puppy, a Spaniel/Bichon Frise mix. As a former dog refuser, I can point out some good and bad points for you.

The mess is incredible, if the dog has access to any carpeted area, it will never look the same again (the carpet not the dog). Even if there is a never ending supply of towels at the back door and the dog allows itself to be trained to wait on the towel for drying before it goes any further. (I find this works about 90% of the time, should one of my adult children or grandson be in the house, the towel rule goes out of the dog's head completely).

Following the above, the housework increases considerably. After an early morning walk today, I ended up cleaning the mud off the hall entrance while my partner cleaned the dog in the shower. I am presently putting off going upstairs to clean the shower.

Forget any retirement lie ins, someone has to be up at 7.30 to let the dog out and clean his feet again when he comes in.

Although I do seem to spend a lot of time muttering "I never wanted a b****y dog anyway" he also is a great source of pleasure. He adores me, goodness knows why. When I go to my intermittent job, he sits waiting from 5 p.m. for my return. He sleeps on my bedroom floor, never gets on the bed, unless he thinks I'm trying to sneak a lie in past 7.30. Strangely the dog has also formed a great bond with our very feisty 2 year old cat. They chase each other round and round the garden until she stops and hides under a bench, then she jumps out on him. She actually seems to come looking for him to play. The bond between my grandson and the dog is also lovely to see. They roll around the floor together playing tugging games and ball games.

Finally I would say that for us, it isn't too tying, because my son is willing to house and dog sit while we go away, but that is definitely something you need to consider. I wouldn't give the dog up now, despite the cleaning.

kittylester Sun 07-Feb-16 15:50:37

During all of our married life we have had dogs and cats but 3 years ago our last dog had to be put to sleep. We all loved him to pieces and we keep asking ourselves whether we want another. We have a cat and I'm working on getting another grin

I think we have decided to not have another dog because of the tie. We can go out for the day or away for a few days and not worry about trying to get the dog looked after either in costly kennels or by one of the children.

We have a few neighbours who are very happy to come and feed the ccat twice a day and we do the same for them. And, with the weather we have been having lately I am more than happy not to have to get up to take a dog for a walk in the pouring rain.

Marmark1 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:57:26

I'm lucky I guess,because I have a sister who looks after Reuben if we go anywhere for more than a couple of hours.