Gransnet forums

Pictures

Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max).

Tasty dhal

(19 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 12:12:53

Unctuous, tasty, spicy - what more can I say!

granjo39 Sat 31-Jan-15 12:15:06

Recipe please,looks good.grin

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 12:16:22

Give the recipe to Jingl! grin

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 12:19:13

Oily?

durhamjen Sat 31-Jan-15 12:22:02

Family coming for dinner tonight. It makes me want to make some.

Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 12:25:25

Not oily Ana, unctuousness in its culinary term!

Although you do need oil or it would be tastleless grin

Galen Sat 31-Jan-15 12:54:25

Recipe please! Looks good!

Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 13:27:27

I don't really have a recipe as such but here goes:

250g red split lentils
2 onions, finely sliced
Few cloves of garlic
Various spices - turmeric, dried chilli, cummin, cardammon, (or garam masala which seems to include the whole lot!)
Tamarind water, or shop-bought sauce

Rinse lentils a few times, cover with water add one teaspoon of turmeric and bring to the boil, reduce heat and add more water (like porridge oats, lentils can take any amount of water)

As they're simmering, and this is the important bit:

splash of oil and start to fry the onions and spices, then add garlic (it burns if you add earlier); keep at it until you have a really spicy well-cooked heap of caramelised onions, add oil as needed. This concoction should be really spicy and fiery as you then add it to the lentils which of course are at this stage totally bland. Add salt to taste.

Add tamarind water/sauce/essence - a bit as a time. This sharpens the whole thing up - lemon/lime juice could be substituted.

For the topping: fry more finely-sliced onions with the spices.

Eat!

Lentils, like couscous, chickpeas, quinoa, etc are pretty bland and tasteless and need a lot of spices.

If you have the ingredients, dhal is very easy, 45 minutes, start to finish.

merlotgran Sat 31-Jan-15 13:34:55

I really cannot understand why food is being described as 'unctuous' these days. I think the Hairy Bikers started it and now they're all at it.

Have any of them ever looked it up in the dictionary I wonder?

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 13:40:09

Yes - what's it supposed to mean, if not oily? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 13:41:16

Right. I have made a choccie cake, a vanilla sponge sandwich, and some fairy cakes.

Swop? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 13:42:42

Actually the sponge sandwich was in the freezer already. And that's where it should have stayed.

#callthisdieting?

Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 13:54:20

Yes, I'm well acquainted with a dictionary Merlot but this is a light-hearted thread about lentils! smile

And I have no idea of the vocabulary of the Hairy Bikers - not my preferred viewing wink

Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 13:55:29

Never mind cakes and sponges jings how are the lentils coming on? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:08:40

That can wait till Monday.

#knackered

crun Sat 31-Jan-15 15:20:37

"250g red split lentils"
"2 onions, finely sliced"
"Few cloves of garlic"
"Various spices - turmeric, dried chilli, cummin, cardammon, (or garam masala which seems to include the whole lot!)"
"Tamarind water, or shop-bought sauce"

That looks quite similar to this one that I was going to try.

Galen Sat 31-Jan-15 16:17:02

Thanks. I've just made shepherds pie with left over shoulder and will curry the rest for Monday. Might make the Dahl to go with it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 16:19:13

Don't do it crun!!! That is the one I made. It is a tasteless mush. And I put in extra garam masala.

Find another recipe.

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 16:22:31

I'm going to have a go at making Riverwalk's recipe, fingers crossed!