Gransnet forums

Pictures

Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max).

Nasty git neighbour`s latest little trick

(50 Posts)
numberplease Tue 01-Dec-15 17:35:36

We live in an end terraced house, in a row of 7, no footpath, staight from house to road. There isn`t room to park a car in front of each house, there`s probably space for 5 cars. Our neighbour hates anyone parking outside his house, so, whilst we accept that it`s first come, first served, and whoever gets in there has to partially go across the other one`s house, he doesn`t see it that way. It`s worse at the moment, because there`s work going on on the river bank opposite, so less parking space than usual. This is our neighbour`s latest ploy to keep people from parking in front of his house.

numberplease Tue 01-Dec-15 17:37:51

Sorry, me photos have vanished! Will try again.

FarNorth Tue 01-Dec-15 17:42:13

Wonder where he nicked the traffic cones from.

Luckygirl Tue 01-Dec-15 17:44:04

Doesn't look legal to me! - both the nicked cones and "obstructing the highway."

Ana Tue 01-Dec-15 17:46:02

I think you're quite within your rights to remove the cones - they haven't been put there by an official body for some reason.

Or just 'accidentally on purpose' knock a couple over when parking...tchwink

Anniebach Tue 01-Dec-15 17:51:52

It is against the law, he has obstructed a place of safety for pedestrians , doing so he is forcing pedestrians to step into the road

tanith Tue 01-Dec-15 17:52:31

Can't believe he's actually chained the darn things together what an idiot.

numberplease Tue 01-Dec-15 17:58:47

We can`t move them, he`s padlocked the chains to the wall at either side. Anyway, after a taxi driver confirmed what I`d been thinking, that it was illegal, I reported him to the council`s highways and planning dept. Someone must have been out, because he`s taken them down.

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Dec-15 18:07:26

If it is a public road I would doubt if it is legal to do that.

This needs to be reported, but I could understand that as he is a nasty git for you to get involved in a complaint could create a very difficult situation as you still have to live next to him.

AH! as you just said its been reported.

JamJar1 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:23:16

We live in a large area of Victorian housing, large and small terraces and houses converted to flats so multiple occupancy. Like you and anyone reasonable we cannot be precious about parking near the house and I'm a blue badge holder. Normally we are close by but have at times parked in the next street. OH dropping me off at our gate first. Thank goodness we don't have anyone like your silly neighbour. Is there a neighbour hood watch where you live? Hopefully now he's taken, or someone else has taken the bollards down he won't do anything else. Sounds like a man obsessed though. shock

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 18:27:03

What an idiot!!! It was so obvious he couldn't do that! grin Weirdo or what?

Maggiemaybe Tue 01-Dec-15 18:50:39

What a tw*t twit, numberplease! If you live on a street like that, you have to accept the car parked outside (I know, we have a similar set-up). The only time I do feel like kicking off is when someone parks a tall vehicle outside our front window, blocking the view and the light, instead of parking up on the main road, where there's always room. Even that's acceptable if it's not for hours on end.

janeainsworth Tue 01-Dec-15 19:02:36

Number MrA is a retired civil engineer with vast experience of roadworks and dealing with the awkward squad.
He says you should ring the police and report the fact that the highway is being obstructed by your neighbour and his cones.

ruthjean Tue 01-Dec-15 19:20:49

sadly we don't own the road outside our house

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-15 19:21:16

You can buy traffic cones, they do not have to be stolen.

We bought some from Screwfix to put along our garden wall (we live off a dead-end private access road) when our previous neighbour used to run flower arranging classes and her student's regularly parked their cars so that they blocked any car access to or from our property. She always asked them to park on the public highway (not a busy road) and not on the access road, but did they? of course not!

DS lived in a road like yours number, fortunately everyone behaved well.

mollie Tue 01-Dec-15 19:25:33

I had a neighbour like that. I lived in the flat above him but he insisted the space outside his gate was his and his only. On several occasions my car was 'stolen' and moved two streets away. I couldn't prove it but I thought it was him. So glad I moved away. Parking arguments are infuriating!

annodomini Tue 01-Dec-15 19:36:59

I have to put up with cars parked in front of my end-of-terrace, but I am lucky inasmuch as I have an entrance down the side of my house. The proverbial hits the fan when some idiot parks across the dropped kerb over my entrance and twice the police have obliged by ticketing the offender's vehicle. It doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's extremely frustrating, not to mention illegal.

Ana Tue 01-Dec-15 19:37:52

Whether you can buy cones or not, it's still not legal to place them on the public highway or pavement outside your house just because you don't want people to park there!

rosesarered Tue 01-Dec-15 20:22:37

Must be a real pain to deal with number but secretly report him every time he does it.

numberplease Tue 01-Dec-15 21:35:11

He has a small to average sized car, and a very large, noisy van for work, and he alternates them, so one must be left at work. When it`s the van he brings home and parks outside, it covers both his house and ours, making the front room really dark, yet he moans about our car in front of his house, when it`s only about a foot of the bonnet, and it`s underneath his window, so can`t be seen from inside his house. He`s the same nasty git who called me a stupid old cow 4 years ago, and we haven`t spoken since. Last Christmas morning, our daughter called in for about 20 minutes, the only space was in front of his house. When she left, there was a note on her windscreen "please park in front of your own house in future". Anyway, I`m going to be on guard, if his cones go up again, the police WILL be informed.

Indinana Tue 01-Dec-15 22:16:35

I think I would make a point of ensuring his vehicle was blocked in - get other neighbours on side (they must be as sick of him as you are) and park inches from his vehicle at front and back. Then both go out for the day without your cars tchgrin

Anya Tue 01-Dec-15 22:43:25

Personally I wouldn't get worked up about this twit, it's his problem not yours, and I mean that in a kind way. Don't Let his actions upset you, it won't do any good and you could fret yourself ill.

He's obviously crackers so ignore him and find someone nice to talk to, go out and have a tea and cake with a friend, draw your curtains and listen to some soothing music/ heavy metal ( whatever) or watch day time TV.

Don't let it get to you

Falconbird Wed 02-Dec-15 07:11:16

In my previous house there was a back lane running along seven or eight house. One of the neighbours became obsessed with the lane and it became his "job" to monitor who came down it, parked in it etc., It made everyone very tense. Eventually he passed away and the relief was huge, not that the poor man had died obviously, but because his reign of lane terror had come to an end.

gillybob Wed 02-Dec-15 08:20:43

Your daughter was a bit slow when the nasty git put a note on her car telling her "to park in fron of your own house" numberplease she should have popped the note back through the miserable git's door with a reply of "what would be the point of parking at my own door when I am visiting my mum?"

Why do people like these think they own the bloody roads and the pavements. There is a similar miserable old git near my mum who is like a parking hitler. He once asked me to move away from his parking area (the road). I was loading my mums wheelchair at the time and I didn't half let him have it. He has since had a disabled bay painted outside his front as his mum (who no one has ever even seen outside) is disabled but he most certainly is not.

ninathenana Wed 02-Dec-15 09:40:35

Have you applied for a blue badge parking space jamjar if not do it !!