Gransnet forums

News & politics

Vince Cable live webchat Tuesday 20 December 1.30-2.30pm

(127 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Dec-11 15:47:44

We're delighted that Vince Cable, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, will be coming into GNHQ to join us live for a webchat on Tuesday 20 December. A LibDem MP (for Twickenham) and an economist, Vince has been a leading commentator on the banks and their role in the economic crisis. He holds one of the key posts in the coalition. Ask your questions here.

grrrranny Thu 22-Dec-11 15:53:44

Probably just me but if lots of mumsneters joined for the discussion and the discussion is used in 'the book' and it is supposed to represent the concerns of gransneters... I know we don't have to be grans to join... It is just me isn't it confused

JessM Thu 22-Dec-11 12:00:09

Mmm, most of the people that win prizes seem to be lurkers too... But just because they like the competitions and other bits does not mean they want to talk to us lot I guess. Their loss... Humph! smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Dec-11 10:48:09

It's true we have many thousands of members who never or almost never post and we know that some of them joined in here (a Good Thing!) A rule of thumb is that you reckon to have ten times as many inactive or rarely-active members as active ones and ten times that again of lurkers who look but don't join. Our hundreds of thousands of page impressions a month and our tens of thousands of unique visitors seem to bear out the general rule.

We've noticed before that some of the less active members may well be inspired to get involved when there's an event - a book club or a webchat. Since this one was quite exciting, we publicised it on mumsnet - we know we had a couple of mumsnetters come over - and on twitter, where it attracted a lot of attention. It's fine for people to come on to ask a particular question about something they care about - and we hope we'll keep lots of them. And we are lovely inclusive people. (On the whole!)

Gally Thu 22-Dec-11 10:04:43

I mentioned this on another thread, yesterday I think, and asked how many our membership was - I reckoned about 16,000. Give us a clue Geraldine grin

grrrranny Thu 22-Dec-11 09:57:05

nanachrissy My thoughts exactly. I hadn't checked out this thread until today and cynically wondered if people had signed up just to ask questions that would be attributed to gransnetters but weren't really.

em Tue 20-Dec-11 23:41:18

Let's hope then, that now they've cut their teeth on a serious topic, they might enjoy some of our more light-hearted ones. Nice to see several new names so it would be good to think they'll stay around and participate.

Annobel Tue 20-Dec-11 23:11:00

We have thousands of GN members only a small proportion of whom post regularly, so obviously web chats like this one have encouraged a lot of them to break their duck and welcome to them.

nanachrissy Tue 20-Dec-11 23:00:35

Where have all these people suddenly appeared from to ask all these questions? I've never seen most of them before, or am I being naive?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Dec-11 21:27:55

We will draw attention to the fact a few things remain unanswered, although we think he may already hold some kind of record for whizzing through questions in an hour, so may not be worth holding our breath...

AvadaKedavra Tue 20-Dec-11 15:42:51

Thank you Mr. Cable for answering my question, well kind of...

I find it quite perturbing that you aren't really aware of the issue confused I also forgot to mention the fact that you will only be able to claim for one disabled child in a family when many families have more than one.

How on earth is that going to work then?

grannyactivist Tue 20-Dec-11 14:33:27

Thanks to Mr. Cable and to GNHQ. Some very interesting responses; I hope that Mr. Cable will look into matters raised here which he was unable to answer due to time constraints.

MmeLindt Tue 20-Dec-11 14:31:20

Thank you for an interesting webchat.

Would it be possible to answer the other questions and have GN post them up later (as if often done on Mumsnet webchats).

eggmayo Tue 20-Dec-11 14:30:07

Thanks Vince. Thanks for answering mine and so many questions. Look forward to seeing where that line is grin

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:29:40

Many thanks for your questions - some of them were very testing. I'm sorry if time didn't allow fuller replies to some of the more difficult and complex issues.

MmeLindt Tue 20-Dec-11 14:29:13

"That's the way we operate, fighting our corner"

Your corner is getting smaller and smaller.

Banking reform is great, admirable but it is too far away for the needy to get any kind of benefit (no pun intended) from it.

What about those who will lose DLA from next year? Banking reform that comes into force in several years will not help them.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Dec-11 14:29:05

That's all we've got time for, I'm afraid, but many thanks to Vince for coming in and answering our questions with such efficiency and grace under pressure!

Many thanks indeed!

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:27:01

AvadaKedavra

Has Mr Cable heard of the Every Disabled Child Matters campaign against 50% cuts to the Tax credits enhancements for disabled children that the Government is proposing/has proposed which Mumsnet is also supporting?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_campaigns/1361867-Cuts-to-benefits-paid-to-families-with-disabled-children-what-do-you-think?pg=1

What are your thoughts on this matter?

I think it is very low to sneak in a cut like that to the absolutely most vulnerable people in society, who cannot fight back.

Also what are your thoughts on the fact that Mr Cameron in PMQs last week lied about the cuts saying there would be none?

Thank you for your time.

I don't know the answer to your question, without checking, but I am sure my colleagues wouldn't knowingly take steps which damaged disabled children. I'll raise it with colleagues.

styleslave Tue 20-Dec-11 14:26:39

Don't know if you're still taking questions but mine is - how would you prepare teenagers for the world that lies ahead of them? I just don't know what to say to my children any more, other than try to join the rootless global elite and be rich - which they don't want to do and neither do I want for them, really.
What skills are necessary for a young person in Britain today?

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:25:08

eggmayo

Thanks for answering my question Vince, but it's not really the "working together" part that I have an issue understanding.

Working together is fine and of course I understand the strains of coalition. But every day in the people I choose to work with I look for compromise - they'll give a little on this, I'll give a little on that. But then they ask me to sacrifice beliefs I have held dearly for years, and I have to say "no, sorry, I can't do that, no deal."

My concern is this - you are the acceptable face of the coalition - you're given a licence to come on here and joke around and say the coalition is a "nightmare" - but do you ever worry that in doing so you're just legitimising time and time again the Tories getting away with murder. When is enough enough for you? When do you refuse to go on making the jokes?

Just two thoughts, really. Sorry if you're offended by attempted humour, I think most people prefer it. I don't accept that we let the Tories get away with murder.

We drive hard bargains and I was very pleased yesterday that we got a significant agreement to proceed with radical reform of the banks. Recently I was pressed to do things which would have undermined employees' basic rights in the workplace, but didn't go along with them. That's the way we operate, fighting our corner.

I don't know what the line is I wouldn't cross until I get to it.

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:20:36

fabuless

Isn't all the talk about a different type of capitalism just a way to get us to accept being poorer?

I don't quite know what you're driving at. I think Churchill once said that capitalism, like democracy, was not a good system, but it just happens to be better than the others. Nobody has yet come up with an alternative model which works and some of the experiments with communism in particular have been an unmitigated disaster.

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:19:24

Mamie

I should like to ask Vince Cable if he feels he has been successful in convincing fellow members of the government of the importance of business, trade and industry in the UK beyond the narrow confines of the City of London and the financial services industry? How does he view the current wave of anti-European sentiments coming from parts of the Conservative party and the media in terms of its long-term impact on Britain's economic development?

I have been strident in arguing the case for rebalancing the economy away from banking and the City of London and some key policies in my department are helping us to achieve that: innovation support, training, the Regional Growth Fund and Green Investment Bank; export support and supply chain financing. The banks and hedge funds do not speak for Britain and we are proceeding with radical reform of the banks – going further than the EU.

NativityQueen Tue 20-Dec-11 14:18:41

Thank you for your answer on uni fees - I agree that the wealthy 'should pay more', but I don't think this scheme will enable that - something that really irks me is the selective use of statistics. For example, arguing that because someone on 500k will pay more back than someone on 10k, when that isn't the issue, because the person on 500k will pay back 27k, the person on 45k will pay back well over 27k because of interest incurred.

AvadaKedavra Tue 20-Dec-11 14:18:36

Has Mr Cable heard of the Every Disabled Child Matters campaign against 50% cuts to the Tax credits enhancements for disabled children that the Government is proposing/has proposed which Mumsnet is also supporting?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_campaigns/1361867-Cuts-to-benefits-paid-to-families-with-disabled-children-what-do-you-think?pg=1

What are your thoughts on this matter?

I think it is very low to sneak in a cut like that to the absolutely most vulnerable people in society, who cannot fight back.

Also what are your thoughts on the fact that Mr Cameron in PMQs last week lied about the cuts saying there would be none?

Thank you for your time.

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:18:29

Mamie

I should like to ask Vince Cable if he feels he has been successful in convincing fellow members of the government of the importance of business, trade and industry in the UK beyond the narrow confines of the City of London and the financial services industry? How does he view the current wave of anti-European sentiments coming from parts of the Conservative party and the media in terms of its long-term impact on Britain's economic development?

I totally agree that we shouldn't let the City of London be the tail that wags the dog. I recently spoke out criticising this obsession with City institutions. We need to support economic growth in all parts of the country and boost our very high quality manufacturers in particular. We have to stay within the European Union and improve its single market.

VinceCable Tue 20-Dec-11 14:18:10

absentgrana

I should like to know why universities come under the umbrella of business rather than education and, given the way the liberal arts and languages have been dismissed by this coalition, is there a plan to change the nature of further education simply to training for employment?

Universities are grouped with business because the last government believed (and we agreed) that universities are crucial to the economy. They are a big export industry (overseas students) and crucial to preparing the UK for the ‘knowledge economy’. There is a critical shortage of engineers in particular. But liberal arts and languages are equally valued and there has been no change in the relative support levels given to arts and sciences (sciences have expensive labs and so always received greater subsidy). In FE we have protected the budget which supports adult learning including non-vocational courses.