Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scotland YES or NO

(999 Posts)
annodomini Mon 05-May-14 22:43:27

Here's an interesting blog by Jon Snow. He says what I have been saying - that Westminster politicians just don't understand the Scots and that the NO campaign is focusing almost entirely on negatives.

Marmight Fri 19-Sep-14 05:28:42

Yes! ! It'a a NO grin
Changes ahead but I am so happy we are to remain together in the Union

thatbags Fri 19-Sep-14 06:43:46

Good morning from Scotland, UK! smile

Also, Phew!

Gagagran Fri 19-Sep-14 06:53:36

Good morning Bags and Scotland. I am so happy that you are not leaving us and hope that when all the blether dies down we can find a harmonious way forward to be together. sunshine

moomin Fri 19-Sep-14 06:56:07

I for one am very pleased - we didn't want to lose you Scotland (well, I didn't)

Thistledoo Fri 19-Sep-14 06:57:05

United we stand, the people of Scotland have spoken. I am so pleased. wine. Good morning Thatbags.

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 07:11:37

I am only just up, having set the alarm for 6.30. Slept like a log and got up to the news. I have always predicted that it would be a no. Now the real work begins - making the whole of the UK a more equal place to live and work and spreading political and financial power more effectively.

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 07:22:01

Oh well - onwards and upwards, then! Wanted a Yes vote but the decision's been made and we can now all get on with moving on as a nation.

seasider Fri 19-Sep-14 07:27:21

So glad it is a no and Scotland is staying!

Brendawymms Fri 19-Sep-14 07:30:23

The turn out was high, the result clear but the after effects will last a long time. The negative feelings towards England generated by some will take a long time to heal. I am glad that it's a No vote but there will be trouble ahead.

Anya Fri 19-Sep-14 07:42:10

Perhaps those negative feelings were more towards Westminster than England?

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 07:46:14

Not necessarily, Brendawymms. Unfortunately, there are faults on both sides in that respect.

whenim64 Fri 19-Sep-14 07:52:37

Good morning, dear Scottish pals. Sorry to those of you who hoped for a 'yes' but it's good we're staying together. I think we will thank Scotland for being the catalyst for starting massive change across the board, now that the promises made to secure a 'no' vote have been heard. It would be good to see Westminster devolve many of its responsibilities to local and regional government and apply it fairly to each of the countries in the UK. With an election campaign looming, and the fantastic example of the 84.5% turnout to vote, perhaps we have all become more aware of what we want from the next government now.

Crow Fri 19-Sep-14 07:57:56

Good morning everyone, I am relieved it is all over. I feel so sorry for those who voted yes, but am pleased this small island is staying together.

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 08:01:04

Perhaps a higher percentage of the electorate will turn out to vote in the future, having seen the 84% of Scots who voted - the highest percentage since universal suffrage was first begun?

And perhaps we shall see some genuine political debate for once, with participation by everyone? The one thing this campaign has demonstrated is the power of genuine passion to rouse the population to political action.

NfkDumpling Fri 19-Sep-14 08:02:16

Thank you Scotland!

(Sorry Granny23 et al, but I'm pleased you're staying)

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 08:10:31

Granny23s Clackmannan area returned a no result. There was a prediction that how Clackmannan voted would be the same as the final result, and that was proved right.

Glasgow voted yes and Edinburgh no (by 61% to 49% - before watching the results this morning I had a little bet with myself that 60/40 would be the split. Should I apply for a job as a swingometer? Am I too late to be a swinger?)

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 08:14:10

Like your post, when. smile It would be good to have a 'like' button on here!

Agus Fri 19-Sep-14 08:15:16

Yes Anya but there are those, for whatever reason, appear to want to turn this into an anti English vote sad

Perhaps the trouble ahead you predict Brendawymms will be the whole of the UK stirring things up at Westminster for equality throughout the UK.

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 08:15:25

Elegran - never too late to be a 'swinger'! grin

Liz46 Fri 19-Sep-14 08:17:20

What a good demonstration of democracy at work. For instance we have been in India during elections and it is chaos. Tourists couldn't even get an alcoholic drink with their meals as alcohol was banned due to politicians bribing people with booze!

ninathenana Fri 19-Sep-14 08:19:34

This sasanack (sp) is please with the result smile

Agus Fri 19-Sep-14 08:20:31

I 'liked' your post too when smile

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 08:28:36

Why, oh why, am I looking at Facebook this morning? A Youtube video of the Clackmannanshire 'No' Vote table has 'Yes' votes sitting on it confused. Note to self - Marelli, get a life and get off Facebook....

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 08:30:21

ninathenana, it's spelled 'sassenach'! grin

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Sep-14 08:34:49

Thank goodness for that. I have just realised this is a different thread to the staying all night one I dropped onto at 4 pmish .
The noes were ahead then. What we shall never know is if that no is what most people wanted from the start or if minds were changed. Those campaigning usually shout louder than the silent majority.