Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Redwood for Next PM?

(57 Posts)
HollyDaze Fri 19-Sep-14 14:55:41

I don't know much about him but given that David Cameron seems reluctant to go too far down the English parliament route and John Redwood seems to want it, do you think that will put Redwood in the running to replace Cameron? Is there a risk that this will divide the Tory Party?

With more powers promised for Holyrood in the event of a "No" vote in Scotland, the PM is facing demands for a separate governing body for England.

Senior Tory MPs want an end to the anomaly that allows Scottish MPs to vote on England-only issues.

He [Cameron] suggested the government had a plan - as set out in last year's McKay commission report - on how MPs should deal with legislation that affects only part of the UK but it was not "remotely near" creating an English Parliament.

Instead, Commons committees considering England-only legislation would be staffed by MPs representing English constituencies.

"It's not something we've set out because today we're talking about the extra power the Scottish government will get," Mr Cameron told BBC Radio 5 live's Pienaar's Politics.

John Redwood told BBC Radio 5 live: "If you are going to give tax powers to Scotland and to Wales, England will want exactly the same tax powers and we will want our own Parliament.

"And the simplest and cheapest way of doing that is that people elected as Westminster MPs, for English constituencies, can do an extra job and meet as an English Parliament and choose our tax rates to complement those that the Scottish Parliament has chosen."

The McKay Commission [...] 'ruled out an English Parliament, saying Scottish MPs would also be allowed to vote on issues affecting England to avoid creating two different classes of MP and provoking "deadlock between the UK government and the majority of MPs in England".

Story in full: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29219162

rosesarered Fri 19-Sep-14 15:20:44

You never know, but I think it's doubtful he would ever be PM.For a start he is not well liked[in the party.]I don't like him either, but that won't bother him! I think David Cameron is a happy bunny at the moment, and that Labour will be grinding their teeth.

HollyDaze Fri 19-Sep-14 15:30:16

I don't know much about him but was just wondering if he had enough support from his colleagues and how the public would react to him.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 15:31:43

No!!! Never!

Awful man.

Lona Fri 19-Sep-14 15:34:36

Was it JR who didn't know the words to the National Anthem, and sat there like a goldfish?

merlotgran Fri 19-Sep-14 15:38:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc

It was the Welsh National Anthem hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 15:51:25

grin So funny. Idiot.

durhamjen Fri 19-Sep-14 16:38:02

In order for him to be next PM, the Tories need to win the election.
Not a foregone conclusion.

whitewave Fri 19-Sep-14 17:46:09

Mr Spock

granjura Fri 19-Sep-14 17:56:46

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

but I'd say bring back Gordon for labour

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 18:07:30

I've been thinking that granjura.

Perhaps Scotland's new First Minister?

Gracesgran Fri 19-Sep-14 18:40:14

I watched him talking about this and was horrified. He still doesn't get it. He said on that too how simple it would be and that the MPs would save us money by doubling up as English and UK MPs. He is not someone I would want once so hopefully that will never happen.

Although ... if he were leader of the Conservative Party it might persuade some to vote elsewhere.

It is interesting to watch how the Conservative's have suddenly embraced the idea of federalism. The Lib Dem's have been in favour since Adam was a lad and the Labour Party seem to be squirming; not their cup of tea at all.

Does anyone know anything about the German Länder system? I caught something about it this morning but not much as I had to go out. I sounded interesting in relation to federalisation.

Anniebach Fri 19-Sep-14 18:45:26

Good grief , noooooo

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 18:48:39

There's 'something of the night' about Mr Redwood (to steal a phrase from Miss Widdecombe). He made a fool of himself mouthing the Welsh anthem and I can't bear to listen to him. I could never vote for him.

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 18:57:42

Deadwood? Never, never, never. Don't think Gordon will ever become PM again. Is he standing again at the next General Election? I'd have thought that Cameron owes him a seat in the Lords (if he wants it) to acknowledge his role in marshalling the 'No' voters.

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 19:08:20

Gordon should stand as an MSP. I was talking to someone a few days ago about the Scottish political scene in the event of a No vote, and was reminded that there would have been several Westminster MPs out of a job and available for election.

JessM Fri 19-Sep-14 19:12:10

It's true. He will never live down his feeble attempt to lip synch the Welsh national anthem and is doomed to the outer darkness for ever as a result.

Aprillass Fri 19-Sep-14 19:29:04

He used to be my MP and he is an extremely clever man who has a bad press

durhamjen Sat 20-Sep-14 00:04:37

Gordon Brown is older than Alex Salmond. He also appears to be enjoying his job as a special envoy to the UN for global education.
He actually seems to enjoy family life, so I would be surprised if he came back into politics more than he is. He is still MP for Kirkcaldy.

Gracesgran Sat 20-Sep-14 08:30:20

It was good to see Gordon Brown looking as if he was enjoying life. It reminds me of when he was doing a job he was good at rather then one he just had ambition for.

JessM Sat 20-Sep-14 08:32:51

Redwood has zero charisma. Even Gove has more. One of the few clever things Cameron has done is to put Gove in his current job where he has to not only toe the governments line but make sure other MPs do. I guess this must make it harder for him to challenge leadership.

rosequartz Sat 20-Sep-14 10:46:04

lona merlotgran
I was going to mention that and say don't send him to Wales! The goldfish moment.
The least he could have done as Welsh Secretary was to learn the National Anthem before he ventured over the border.

HollyDaze Sat 20-Sep-14 10:56:19

He made a fool of himself mouthing the Welsh anthem

I think it's a bit harsh to hold grudges against him because he didn't know the Welsh National Anthem (how long had he been Welsh Secretary before that incident?). Can you judge a person's entire worth on not knowing an anthem?

Aprillass

He used to be my MP and he is an extremely clever man who has a bad press

Hopefully you are still reading the thread - can you tell us more about him as you have an insight into him as an MP? (I'm intrigued by him as he seems to be one of the few MPs willing to listen to what the people want rather than what their 'mates' want.)

HollyDaze Sat 20-Sep-14 10:57:19

Yep, I'd say bring back Gordon for Labour as well - that should them from getting in again lol

rubysong Sat 20-Sep-14 11:19:15

If he didn't know the anthem he should have stood silently while it was sung by others, it was that 'pretending' (or trying to) which made him look a twit. He should have known the cameras were on him.