Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is our Prime Minister really this dense?

(127 Posts)
thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 16:20:24

@BBCBreaking: David Cameron says internet firms have a "responsibility" to stop terrorists using their services to plan attacks t.co/Yr4SGuD6fS

Just as arms dealers have a responsibility to stop people who buy guns from killing others? Just like that, huh?

Londongirl Tue 25-Nov-14 16:23:46

If only things were that easy.

rosesarered Tue 25-Nov-14 16:29:09

The internet was always going to cause problems [with policing it, impossible really.] It's a mixed blessing, but on the whole I'm glad that we have it.There may be some [little] that sites can do, but a 'super highway' of information is never going to be straightforward when dealing with criminals.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 16:35:33

Not dense ... just passing the buck.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 16:38:02

If Facebook had notified mI5 that Adowabe had posted quite categorically that he intended to kill a soldier, he could have been prevented from carrying out that threat and Lee Rigby might be alive today. Facebook has a lot to answer for here. They have to be brought within the law. And new laws need to be passed controlling the use of such websites.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 16:42:10

here

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 16:55:41

I can see the point. Sadly we are at war as surely as we have been in the past. This time the attacks are different. The internet is a very powerful tool. We need to use it just as much and as well as the terrorists do. If there is any way we can use it to our advantage then we should.

Nonu Tue 25-Nov-14 17:17:51

A sensible post JANE!

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 17:19:49

Presumably there are some things they can do, else DC would not have said what he said?
No idea what.

janeainsworth Tue 25-Nov-14 17:20:43

Just clicked on the link and it says 'content no longer available'
bags you are a woman of influence. One adverse posting on Gransnet and the BBC withdraw the story grin

POGS Tue 25-Nov-14 17:29:25

I think it might be interesting, if you are interested, to try and access todays debate in Parliament where David Cameron was in the House giving a speech and taking questions on this matter.

It is called 'The Murder Of Lee Rigby' and it was on this afternoon.

I say try and watch it as you will see what was actually said in 'context' and not by a media outlet that perhaps doesn't do it credit. There was a fair amount of cross party agreement.

Context can show a different opinion may be formed to that of the BBC or other media outlets, possibly.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:40:31

I agree that if Facebook had informed MI5 of Adowabe's post, perhaps the killing could have been prevented but that raises some questions:
It has to be a person reading the post on FB. Who would it be? Facebook is not a person. Who informs someone with authority on FB about the post? Who then has the responsibility of deciding what to do next?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:40:40

interesting

Perhaps the Beeb were afraid of being sued.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:42:38

Someone must own Facebook. They are responsible.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:42:56

And that raises another question: what's the point of someone telling MI5 if it's unlikely they could have done anything to prevent the killing? (that'swhat it says on jings' link)

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 17:43:29

Strangely, the guardian report's online video link seems to have been blocked, too...

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:44:02

Responsible for what though? If MI5 couldn't deal with it how could a company director, or whatever the owners of FB are, do anything?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:47:08

They are all afraid of being sued by Facebook.

* Bags* it should have been reported immediately to MI5. By Facebook's equivalent to LucyGN, GigiGN, CarIGN, et al.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:50:37

Perhaps it was, once they knew about it.

Besides: @steveswannBBC: Facebook: " we do not allow terrorist content on the site and take steps to prevent people from using our service for these purposes."

What more can they realistically do? Something has to be reported by an FB user before they can do anything. Just as on GN

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:50:52

Malcolm Rifkin specifically singles out the "conversation" Adewobe (sp?) had online with other terrorists in the Middle East. He says MI5 knowing about that could have helped. God only knows why someone at MI5 keep an eye on the likes of FB though.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:51:53

Doesn't (keep an eye...)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 17:53:14

I suppose that's why DC wants to bring in stringent laws.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 17:56:16

MI5 had these two under surveillance for some time also one of them was deported from Kenya after trying to illegally enter Somalia and this was known to the security services. There were also attempts to recruit one/both of them to be paid informers - if I remember rightly.

Lots of rubbish must be threatened/claimed/spouted on sites like Facebook, the police and MI5 would come to a standstill if they had to investigate each and every crackpot.

How Facebook could have prevented the killings but MI5 and the police could not, I don't know.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:57:05

Saying FB is equivalent to GN and that FB should have done something (implying it is somehow at fault) is like saying it's GNHQ's fault if someone posts something abusive on a thread and that "they are responsible". That's daft.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 17:58:21

Agreed, Riverwalk. FB is HUUUUUGE! It'd be like asking MI5 to keep an eye on every person in China. Ridiculous.