Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Hard working families"

(67 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 31-Mar-15 17:35:34

Grrr - my blood boils every time I hear a politician use that expression. Is it just me? If I feel like this now, how will I feel by the time of the election?

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Mar-15 18:21:34

I'm right there, boiling with you, MamaCaz. I'm setting off for a tropical island somewhere and just coming back in time to vote. Anyone want to come?

MamaCaz Tue 31-Mar-15 18:23:25

Yes please grin

Juliette Tue 31-Mar-15 18:29:35

Only if I can have a postal vote!

Mishap Tue 31-Mar-15 18:31:32

Me too - they are only working their tripe out and seeing so little of their children because they cannot afford a home unless they do! Rather than subsidise child care, perhaps it would be better to ensure families can make a living wage without having to be out of the home all the time.

TerriBull Tue 31-Mar-15 18:37:43

Yes I agree, I think it's become THE defining cliche of this election, how they love trotting it out, DC likes to roll his shirt sleeves up so we know he's from a hard working family grin I have yet to see Ed roll his sleeves up, but perhaps he does when he's cleaning his kitchens!

rosesarered Tue 31-Mar-15 18:39:24

Haha, yes, where are all these hard working families? I am pretty lazy myself.

whenim64 Tue 31-Mar-15 18:42:53

Include me in! Makes my blood boil when they come out with this claptrap. My young next door neighbour is the breadwinner whilst his partner is looking after their new baby and toddler. She doesn't get maternity leave because she had a zero hours contract. If she went back, she couldn't plan nursery hours needed because of the unreliability of her job. He has three zero hours contract jobs and gets called out at very short notice, so family time can't be planned. A living wage and one job each is their ambition.

absent Tue 31-Mar-15 19:07:18

Are there no hard-working single people, widows, widowers, childless couples, etc.?

FlicketyB Tue 31-Mar-15 19:40:38

They never give a definition of what a hard-working family is. How do they decide who is hardworking and who is not. What effect the difference will have on their entitlement to benefits and help, plus of course absents comments.

crun Wed 01-Apr-15 01:12:39

I've always assumed it's a bit of psychology, designed to make "benefit scroungers" feel uncomfortable.

absent Wed 01-Apr-15 03:39:49

I don't think the phrase is meant to make "benefit scroungers" feel uncomfortable so much as to make people who have got jobs, especially those whose pay is low, feel resentful towards the "benefit scroungers".

vampirequeen Wed 01-Apr-15 07:41:40

Benefit scroungers will never feel uncomfortable but it makes genuine claimants like me feel very uncomfortable.

absent Wed 01-Apr-15 07:57:03

That's why crun and I put benefit scroungers in inverted commas. It's very hard on genuine claimants to hear this pejorative description.

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-15 07:58:28

Annoying as it sounds I think the term is meant to make those poor young people trying to juggle children, childcare and work feel better about themselves , and tries to put the message across that their valuable contribution to society is appreciated.

tiggypiro Wed 01-Apr-15 08:28:09

And as for all those lessons they have learned .................... ! We must now be heading for Utopia !

Anniebach Wed 01-Apr-15 09:38:31

Repeating hard working families makes some feel smug, chips away at the self esteem of the disabled, unemployed , those struggling on minimum wage, this government has no interest in making people feel better about themselves , just words to create an even bigger devide and gain votes.

Nonnie Wed 01-Apr-15 09:45:43

Well we were a hard working family and now I am a hard working retiree in a different, unpaid, way!

IMO it is a way of simply saying "I'm on your side*. EM is hoping it will make most people feel included.

GillT57 Wed 01-Apr-15 10:24:25

I hate: hard working families and lessons will be learned. Both are trite meaningless expressions due to overuse by people who think we, the electorate, are all stupid people who believe in meaningless platitudes. I think the expression hard working families lost any meaning when we saw coal miners protesting against losing their jobs, a long long time ago. I was quite young and naiive then, and never could understand why people were being criticised and pilloried for wanting to work and provide for their families, isnt this what society is all about?

Katek Wed 01-Apr-15 10:38:52

In a word....aaaaarrrgghh!!

Nonnie Wed 01-Apr-15 10:47:10

I'm already glowering at my radio and we still have weeks to go!

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 10:48:17

'Let me be clear about...' usually when they want to be as obfuscatory as possible.

MamaCaz Wed 01-Apr-15 11:01:31

When I hear "hard-working families ...", it comes across to me as just another snipe at the poor.
Because of all the other rhetoric that accompanies it each time, it is clearly meant to be interpreted as meaning "all those of you who aren't benefit scroungers".
But where does that leave the working poor, those who work a full week, many doing several small jobs and very unsociable hours to try to make ends meet, but who still don't scrape together enough to get by without a few pounds of benefit to top it up? To me, it comes across as a big insult to a lot of people.

Anniebach Wed 01-Apr-15 11:07:21

Thousands on zero contracts want to be hard workers , but difficult if some weeks they just work three hours

MamaCaz Wed 01-Apr-15 11:25:40

Anniebach: I quite agree!