Gransnet forums

News & politics

7-Way Debate Tonight

(202 Posts)
NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 08:52:05

What are you hoping to see on this programme tonight? I have my fingers crossed that the presenter can keep order although it might be more fun if she can't and all hell is let loose!

Iam64 Thu 02-Apr-15 09:16:48

It does seem a bit like a bun fight doesn't it, so many people, such complicated arrangements about who speaks when and how long for.

I'm hoping those taking part will be honest, free from waffle and that by the end of the programme, we'll all have a better understanding of what the smaller parties can offer. It seems fairly clear we're heading towards a very close finish

Veryoldbear Thu 02-Apr-15 09:50:52

Oh no! We will be travelling tonight and will miss it! I am mortified! Not.

whitewave Thu 02-Apr-15 09:54:56

Blimey Iam that is like wishing for the moon! grin

Mishap Thu 02-Apr-15 10:01:30

I plan to miss this. They would simply be slagging one another off. I would rather just look at their manifestos.

jo1book Thu 02-Apr-15 10:04:26

Who cares?

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:27:34

I'm with mishap. I'd much rather read the manifestos. I think this sort of show risks turning voting into a sort of X factor. Whoever performs best on the night etc. I remember switching off the Scottish Referendum programmes because they just turned into shouting matches. Extremely offputting. I gather that the audiences lied about their political affiliations to get in then turned to their true colours when seated thus adding to the nasty gladiatorial bout. I'm watching my recording of "Ordinary Lies" instead- probably amounts to about the same thing!

durhamjen Thu 02-Apr-15 10:32:35

Cameron has such contempt for the voter that he cannot be bothered to debate.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 10:39:51

It just seems like a recipe for disaster, a way of turning voters off completely, but I shall definitely watch it. Temporarily laid up post-op as I am, I have to get as much fun in my life as possible!

Juliette Thu 02-Apr-15 11:41:24

tbuwink
Rude sign from bunny's ears.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 11:50:32

Not that sort of fun, Juliette! smile

Ana Thu 02-Apr-15 12:03:54

What are you on about durhamjen, Cameron's one of the seven.

crun Thu 02-Apr-15 14:03:18

I can't see what Cameron thought he had to lose from a proper debate, I think he looks a bigger fool from the way he's bent over backwards to avoid it. They should have just empty chaired him.

I don't think I'll bother watching, you won't catch anyone saying what taxes will go up, or which services will get cut.

HildaW Thu 02-Apr-15 14:48:23

7 way wrestling in custard I might watch but this is going to be staged sound bites....and lets face it they all promise to do this 'n that and then conveniently find a jolly good reason why it cannot be done.

....and yes I'm old and cynical!

Charleygirl Thu 02-Apr-15 16:12:24

I may start to watch but I have to admit that an early bedtime and a good book are more inviting. I cannot be bothered listening to children squabbling in a playground.

granjura Thu 02-Apr-15 17:44:36

those squabbling kids will be making decisions about YOUR life and that of your loved ones soon, though ...

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-15 17:52:42

We did need a proper debate between the leaders of the two main parties , Cameron has been PM for five years and wants to be PM for the next five years , I think it's his duty to take part in a two way debate, instead he wriggled out of it, cowardly man

crun Thu 02-Apr-15 22:32:41

The winner in my house was Coast Australia and Banished.

Eloethan Fri 03-Apr-15 00:34:38

I don't think the debate was like children squabbling in a playground. I thought it was a very interesting two hours.

Of course there were disagreements. If they all agreed with one another's policies they would all be in the same party wouldn't they.

Gracesgran Fri 03-Apr-15 08:41:10

I thought it was interesting to Eloethan. A great chance to see the UK parties rather than just the English parties and to see what the smaller parties have to offer if they were able to influence the larger ones.

pompa Fri 03-Apr-15 09:06:24

I just think the Devil missed a chance to cast his net. !

Charleygirl Fri 03-Apr-15 09:39:32

Eloethan I did not think that they were children squabbling in a playground. That was what I thought would happen before they started, they proved me wrong, especially the women.

whitewave Fri 03-Apr-15 09:43:43

Go women go!! Completely saw off the men. They were articulate, clear and offered an alternative view.

NanKate Fri 03-Apr-15 09:48:28

Now I'm am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons BIG time. wink

One or two of the things Nigel Farage said really resonated with me. Such as why should we pay for people's drug treatment when they have contributed nothing to the system ?

Shall I get behind the barricade now ?

whitewave Fri 03-Apr-15 09:49:33

Oh nan which people do you mean?