Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queen's Speech

(99 Posts)
durhamjen Wed 27-May-15 00:53:00

A very long Queen's Speech, but I'd rather have this one than the one we are going to get.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/05/26/my-queens-speech-a-radical-programme-for-the-uk/

However, at least repeal of the Human Rights Act should not be heard today.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-May-15 09:46:45

Given how busy the politics section seems to be at the moment, we thought gransnetters might like the opportunity to chat to the House of Commons directly (they do not represent the government and are politically neutral).
It’s an opportunity for you to discuss and comment on anything that is concerning you and that you’d like answers on.

Lucinda and Jo will be around today to answer any questions you might have on the Queen’s speech (today 11:30am).

Hope you find it helpful!

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 09:52:17

Hi Everyone!
We are the official representative of the House of Commons (we do not represent the government). We want to bring you information on what is happening in the House of Commons and give you the opportunity to get involved in the work of Parliament.

We are politically neutral and cannot comment on the policies of the Government, but we can provide you with opportunities to have your say and have your opinions heard.

We encourage discussion and comments and if you have questions we will do our best to answer them or point you in the right direction to where you can get an answer.

We are really looking forward to being a part of the Gransnet community!

Lucinda and Jo
Digital Outreach Team
@UKParlOutreach

Riverwalk Wed 27-May-15 09:56:53

Maybe you can tell us how Black Rod is chosen and other than bash at the door every now and then what else does he do? smile

Elegran Wed 27-May-15 10:00:04

Welcome, Lucinda and Jo.

It will be very useful to have some definitions of just HOW things work in the House of Commons, and first-hand reports of what is going on and what it all means. I look forward to reading your neutral and interesting posts.

I think you will have your work cut out fending off posts from some Gransnetters who want you to forget you are "politically neutral and cannot comment on the policies of the Government" and want to push you into condemning those policies! Good luck.

LyndaW Wed 27-May-15 10:04:59

Riverwalk - he very nearly gave Cameron a black eye!

I'm interested to see what is said about the NHS. If anything...

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 10:09:52

Hi Riverwalk

If you are interested in finding out a bit more about what the roles are of some of the people taking part today? Take a look at these interviews with Black Rod and the Yeoman User.

We have some other resources about Black Rod's history that may also be of interest to you.

Riverwalk Wed 27-May-15 10:18:42

One more thing HoC staff: when I first joined GN three years ago I reported that I'd just seen former Speaker, Baroness Boothroyd, all dressed up on her way to the opening of parliament, standing at the bus stop!

Do you think you could send a car for her today - she deserves some respect! grin

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 10:37:06

Here are some quick facts about these two events:

· State Opening marks the start of the parliamentary year
· State Opening is the only regular meeting of the 3 parts of Parliament: the Lords, the Commons and the Sovereign
· As Head of State, the Queen formally opens each new session of Parliament
· Traditionally an MP is ‘held hostage’ at Buckingham Palace until the Queen returns. Today it’s Vice-Chamberlain Kris Hopkins
· The Queen's Speech is written by the Government and read out in the Lords by the monarch

Let us know if you have any questions. We'll try our best to answer.

Jo & Lucinda

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 10:52:14

Hi Everyone

The State Opening of Parliament is taking place shortly and we'd love to have gransnetters' take on what's being discussed. It marks the
formal start of the parliamentary year and the Queen's Speech sets out the Government’s agenda for the coming session, outlining proposed policies and legislation.

The speech will be debated in the Commons and in the Lords for the following few days. If you're interested on keeping up to date on what's happening then please follow this thread for regular updates, including links to live video coverage, transcripts of the Queen’s Speech and debates, background information, and facts.

We would really like to hear what you think of the speech and what the most important point is for you. If you have any questions we will do our best to try and answer them.

Lucinda and Jo

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 11:53:44

Hi Everyone,

A transcript of the Queen's Speech is now available on the Government's website.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 11:54:03

Hi Lucinda and Jo. Well done Gransnet and you for getting this together.

It was lovely to see the Queen and Prince Philip today but would their be any problem with Prince Charles deputising for the Queen if it became too much for her?

Riverwalk Wed 27-May-15 12:02:24

Lucinda & Jo - just asking nicely smile but if you're non-political why do you want to know what we think of the speech?

The speech is inherently political so how can you answer questions on it?

Assuming you mean the contents and not Her Majesty's delivery grin

Ana Wed 27-May-15 12:04:54

I was thinking along those lines as well. It does seem rather odd!

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 12:20:14

Hi Gracesgran

We are unable to comment on the role of Prince Charles, but the Queen has opened Parliament every year of her reign except for in 1959 and 1963, because she was pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. In those instances Parliament was opened by Lord Commissioners.

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 12:30:57

Hi Riverwalk,

Our aim in the Digital Outreach Team is to help conversations take place around what is happening in Parliament. We want to find out what you think so that we can bring you information on how to get involved have your opinions heard and influence the work that is going on.

Lucinda and Jo

Riverwalk Wed 27-May-15 12:58:37

Don't want to labour the point but you did specifically ask, more than once, what we think about the contents of the speech, rather than what we think/or would like to know about the workings of the HoC.

Getting a bit irritated now - don't keep asking us what we think and what our take is if you can't answer!

And how can you help us influence the work that is going on? To be honest, I personally don't really care how the HoC works day to day, more interested in the politics.

LyndaW Wed 27-May-15 13:17:00

A 7 day NHS sounds promising I guess. Though how this is to be implemented I'd love to see. Hear too much about overstretched staff as is.

What's frustrating to me is how long these things take to be implemented. 2020. Yes, well, we'll have forgotten about the promises by then. Or a new government might swoop in and veto it all again.

I want to know more about the "snooper's charter"...? Not sure I like the sound of that.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 13:22:49

For heavens sake Riverwalk this is an opportunity to find out more how our democracy works. Please leave the messengers alone. If you are not interested why post?

HOC Thanks for your reply Lucinda and Jo. I will assume from that that it could be someone else if necessary but not necessarily Prince Charles.

NanRex Wed 27-May-15 13:26:39

I'm interested in how the ban on legal highs will be implemented - how will a legal high be labelled as such and is there going to be a dedicated team looking for these newly developed drugs?

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 14:25:49

Hi NanRex,

The Home Office will be the government department responsible and will be able to provide specifics about how a ban would be implemented. If legislation on legal highs comes through Parliament we will be able to update you on the progress of this Bill.

The Home Affairs Select Committee have looked into the use of psychoactive substances in 2013 and published a report on the subject.

www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/home-affairs-committee/news/131220-drugs-rpt-pubn/

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 14:40:30

Hi LyndaW

The Lords debated the implications of a 7 day working NHS.

www.parliament.uk/business/news/2014/february/lords-debates-nhs/

It's available to watch on Parliament TV.

www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/8d4f8d69-a084-4248-8c31-e718538b105f?in=13%3A41%3A10

HouseOfCommons Wed 27-May-15 15:04:37

The Speaker of the House has announced the topics of debates on the Queen’s Speech over the next 6 days. They are as follows:

Day 1 – Wednesday 27 May: General Debate on Address

Day 2 - Thursday 28 May: Home Affairs and Justice

Day 3 - Monday 1 June: Health and Social Care

Day 4 – Tuesday 2 June: Britain in the World

Day 5 – Wednesday 3 June: Devolution and Growth Across Britain

Day 6 - Thursday 4 June: The Economy

Which topic are you most interested in?

Jo & Lucinda
Digital Outreach Team

grannyonce Wed 27-May-15 15:39:31

HOC thank you for an unbiased political thread - the initiator of the thread was very misleading.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 15:44:30

I, sad politics geek that I am, do watch the Parliament channel and (sometimes smile) find it very interesting but it is really useful to know what is coming up when. Monday's is of particular interest to me ... and Wednesday ... and Thursday. Actually I shall probably record them all and then be selective.

I do enjoy watching the committees too. They see to have a much bigger role in parliament these days or was I just unaware of them in the past?