Gransnet forums

News & politics

Politics today

(12 Posts)
mcem Wed 27-May-15 20:49:42

Have been out on GC duty and I'm now hoping I might get a critique of the Queen's speech from a GN point of view. Will delve into media coverage but would appreciate a 'real-life' version rather than spin. All opinions welcome at this stage!

Ana Wed 27-May-15 20:51:43

Let's see if this one is allowed...

Galen Wed 27-May-15 21:38:51

I hope so!
After all, freedom of speech is an English right!
Don't know a out the fringe nations?grin

Galen Wed 27-May-15 21:39:07

Or even about?

mcem Wed 27-May-15 21:49:17

Speaking from a 'fringe nation' I do hope so - in the interest of British values perhaps? That's if free speech is still included!

Galen Wed 27-May-15 21:57:54

One wonders sometimes, doesn't one?

mcem Wed 27-May-15 22:10:18

Well I still haven't managed to catch up with what was said today by HM so was there anything in the speech which made you particularly happy/ angry/ disappointed? Or any other relevant emotion?

soontobe Wed 27-May-15 22:31:43

The other thread didnt get going. This one isnt either. But I didnt listen to the speech. Perhaps other gransnetters didnt either? So no one has anything to say?
[I dont think though that gransnet will let you keep this thread, as they say that there is already the other one].

Soutra Wed 27-May-15 22:40:45

I really don't see why not?
I didn't hear the speech either as we were due out but I did notice that there seemed to be a distinct coolness and distance between Cameron and Harman as they made their way to the Lords. In previous years there has appeared to at least be a bit of light chit chat between the PM and Leader of the Opposition.
Are the gloves off?

Ana Wed 27-May-15 22:53:38

There was a fair bit of what seemed to be good-natured banter afterwards, though - HH displayed a sense of humour we don't often see (unless it was all script-written for her, of course!).

Made me laugh when DC said she was 'even posher' than he was, though. grin

rosesarered Thu 28-May-15 09:25:27

Though not posher than Posh 'n Becks of course ( who have twin thrones.)

mcem Thu 28-May-15 13:05:46

Pleased to see the original thread is restored and suggest the best course now is to join them there. Not surprised to see that there are indeed plenty of folks with something to say!