Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Sign up to test Age UK's personal alarm - £300 voucher prize draw for feedback NOW CLOSED

(14 Posts)
AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Sep-15 19:00:40

Age UK have asked us to find 10 gransnetters who would like to test out Age UK's Personal Alarm* Service, either for themselves or possibly for their parents or another elderly relative or friend.

For more information, please see the Age UK website.

Here's what Age UK say, "Our Personal Alarm Service gives users the freedom to live independently in their own home knowing that help is on hand at the touch of a button, 24 hours a day. Family and friends can be reassured that, in case of an accident or a fall, their loved ones can get help quickly."

This product test is open to all gransnetters.

Testers will need to leave their feedback on a thread on Gransnet.

All testers will receive an alarm and will be able to use the alarm free of charge for 1 month. Age UK will schedule an appointment with an advisor to install the alarm for them and testers will be provided with a return envelope to return the alarm after the 4 weeks. Please note that each tester will need two people who live within 20 minutes to act as keyholders.

There will be no charge to the product testers.

Everyone who posts their feedback on the thread will automatically be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 Love2Shop voucher!

If you're interested, please sign up here.

Thanks
GNHQ

*Age UK Personal Alarms are provided by Aid-Call Limited.

You can view the full general terms and conditions www.mumsnet.com/pdf/age-uk-tcs-gn.pdf

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 17:20:21

My husband has recently acquired one of these alarms, but supplied by a company connected to the council. They have given him a pendant to wear around his neck, another pendant that is a fall alarm and sends a signal after 20 seconds, he can choose which to wear. They have also supplied, and fitted, 2 smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide detector. All this for the princely sum of 36p per week! That makes AgeConcern UK look a little expensive.

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 17:22:22

My husband has recently acquired one of these alarms, but supplied by a company connected to the council. They have given him a pendant to wear around his neck, another pendant that is a fall alarm and sends a signal after 20 seconds, he can choose which to wear. They have also supplied, and fitted, 2 smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide detector. All this for the princely sum of 36p per week! That makes AgeConcern UK look a little expensive.

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 17:23:08

There was also no connection fee, and the lady was here quite a while getting it going.

glassortwo Mon 05-Oct-15 20:46:13

We set my Mum up with a similar system through the council number after my Father died in February, the costs are on par with yours. She is very happy with the service she is receiving, even when she leant out of the upstairs window and had set the alarm off unknowingly and wonder where the voices were coming from. grin But it gives me peace of mind that if she was to have a fall or be taken ill someone is on hand.

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 23:57:27

Hi Glass, I wasn`t sure if other councils did this, if more people realised, AgeConcerUK would have to bring their costs down, surely? My husband was approaced about it whilst in hospital, by one of the physiotherapists, but either he wasn`t told everything or he forgot it, but when I looked into it online and we saw how much we thought it would cost, he decided not to bother. Then when we were contacted by phone and I said we couldn`t afford it, she asked why, then told me that as Mayflower were doing it it would cost next to nothing, so we went ahead.

glassortwo Tue 06-Oct-15 19:35:27

number it make you wonder why its so much more expensive doesn't it. The more people that are aware they have other options available the better for everyone.

MichelleGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Oct-15 15:07:10

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. Age UK would like to say,

"Thank you for these comments. It’s great that some of you already know first-hand the benefits that a personal alarm can provide in dealing with emergencies, for example. Many local councils provide a personal alarm service and these are often subsidised to make them more affordable. However, not every local council is able to provide this. And the Age UK personal alarm helps to fill the gaps where no service exists. Unfortunately, as a charity, they can not offer the level of discount that local councils can. A personal alarm service is expensive to run and therefore the Age UK service has to charge for it. But we hope that you would agree that for those who have no access to a local council service and require this important service, that it represents value for money."

grandMattie Fri 09-Oct-15 07:15:36

I've got an elderly friend who has no family. I used to live not too far, but after moving it is a 20 minute car journey away. She recently was taken quite ill and i managed to sort her out eventually. One of these alarms would be fantastic for her. She claims that she "isn't bad enough " for one of these... I suspect part of the problem is financial. Unfortunately, there is a limit to how much I subsidise her.

numberplease Fri 09-Oct-15 17:16:54

Does her council have a scheme to help Mattie? We didn`t pay a connection charge, and it`s only 36p a week, surely within anyone`s budget.

vivianallman Thu 29-Oct-15 21:17:40

my moms has been installed today ..a lovely lady came and was very helpful, look forward to reviewing it in four weeks...

vivianallman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:06:41

my mom was really impressed with this... the lady who came was very nice and helpful.. it has been connected and they have checked on my mom on occasions to see that all was well. my mom at 82 is very active and fit and well and has decided that she is not at the stage where she needs one at the moment but has loved the fact that she has had the chance to try it out...it's an awesome service so well done AgeUK...

vivianallman Sun 29-Nov-15 15:34:00

when will the winner of the love to shop prize be announced...... #ItsBeginningToLookALotLikeChristmas smile smile

CommissionerJimGordon Mon 30-Nov-15 16:53:38

Is this the place to put our feedback or will there be a different thread for that?