Gransnet forums

Relationships

Attraction.

(95 Posts)
Caretaker Mon 29-Aug-16 11:53:37

What attracted you to your partner.

sunseeker Mon 29-Aug-16 11:58:17

His eyes! Sparkly and looked full of fun (which he was!)

Charleygirl Mon 29-Aug-16 12:01:24

Piercing blue eyes and his intelligence

millymouge Mon 29-Aug-16 12:05:36

Do you know I honestly don't know. We married 6 months after meeting and have now been married for 52 years, so what ever it was it was pretty strong. It just seemed right. He is a very tolerant and a real family man. He has seen me through a couple of bad times in my life and I wouldn't be without him.

kittylester Mon 29-Aug-16 12:17:31

I have know idea either! Pheremones? I just followed my instincts (probably very basic instincts blush) but thise instincts were right. He danced a mean 'Gay Gordon's' too!

Mildred Mon 29-Aug-16 12:30:30

I don't know either, at first I thought he was smug but soon realised he was a very kind man who has really cared for me for 46 years. Very lucky.

tanith Mon 29-Aug-16 12:35:31

His voice, as I knew the voice long before we met.

Caretaker Mon 29-Aug-16 12:40:08

I was sitting in a pub with my mate when his brother walked into the bar with his new girlfriend. I went up to her to introduce myself and said " I'm going to marry you" she replied "Do you know I think you will" That spark is as real today 48 years later as it was then. I thank god for her every second of the day. The only girlfriend I have ever had.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 29-Aug-16 12:41:26

His absolute beauty, unfortunately he wasn't beautiful on the inside

Grannyknot Mon 29-Aug-16 13:22:36

tanith what do mean? smile

Grannyknot Mon 29-Aug-16 13:23:24

caretaker how romantic.

nanaK54 Mon 29-Aug-16 13:35:00

Easy he was incredibly handsome!
Not too shabby 44 years on!!!

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Aug-16 13:37:06

I don't know, but when he walked into the room I just knew instantly that he was the one.

Caretaker, that's just lovely.

tanith Mon 29-Aug-16 14:06:28

Grannyknot as you ask, many years ago we were in to CB radio and belonged to a local enthusiasts club. There were lots of people we got know personally and made many friends but also many that we only ever spoke to on the radio but never met in person. Eventually several years later we were both at a meeting and as soon as I heard his voice I knew who it was without looking.

Alima Mon 29-Aug-16 15:27:46

His beautiful blue eyes. Certainly not the light blue corduroy suit he was wearing when I first saw him! Well, it was the early 70s!

Beth61 Mon 29-Aug-16 16:04:48

Husband number 1 - his good looks but he turned out to be ugly inside, husband number 2- he was a colleague who immediately offered to give me a lift when my daughter's school phoned to say she was ill and didn't complain when she threw up in his car, then phoned me later to see how she was . Still together after 25 years!

Marmight Mon 29-Aug-16 16:07:04

He was just very gentle, kind, good looking and had sparkly grey blue eyes. They sparkled until the very end. In his obit in the paper I wrote 'he was a true, gentle man' which summed him up completely.

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 16:15:15

I don't know really. I don't think I did like him all that much the first evening we spent together, but I liked the way he dressed, he had a lovely gentle sense of humour and he didn't mind me dragging him round art galleries on his days off! He has been the absolute love of my life for fifty years and he deserves a medal as big as a frying pan!

phoenix Mon 29-Aug-16 16:27:56

Greyduster, that is lovely!

Grannyknot Mon 29-Aug-16 16:42:39

Thank you Tanith that makes sense, I was thinking ..."Is she talking past life?" grin

I also wondered, because I fell in love with my husband's accent (Scottish, traces of). I could listen to him talk all day long smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Aug-16 16:45:00

His one eyebrow went up like Elvis
Love at first sight (on my part)
He was always singing
Still sings to me now
When I had turned green on a recent boating holiday he held me with one arm and sang to me whilst steering the boat over some very big swells.
It worked!

Wobblybits Mon 29-Aug-16 16:50:39

As we met in a dance hall, and could not hear each other over the music, I guess the only initial attraction was physical, some sort of spark. Everything else came later, if it hadn't we would not still be together more than 50 years on.

Teetime Mon 29-Aug-16 19:32:34

His body he was unconcious and I had to take all his clothes off... a nurse has a hard life. He still has a great body!

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:09:52

grin
Teetime bet he just loved your nurses uniform

lefthanded Mon 29-Aug-16 20:25:32

We met at a party in 1966 - I was 15, she was a few months younger. I think I just liked the way she was completely overshadowed by her BFF, a buxom vivacious girl with sparking emerald eyes and flaming red hair. Every other male in the room was buzzing around the BFF, so I decided to chat to DW instead.

DW trained to be a teacher, while BFF trained to be a vet and went off to live in Aberdeen. They still exchange Christmas and birthday cards.