Gransnet forums

Relationships

I really need your opinions

(31 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 12-Apr-15 14:33:27

My very first post was asking for opinions and you were all brilliant, kept me right.... I sometimes have a problem with over thinking.

This is long and I hope you will stay with it because it gives background that I reckon is needed..... Or it could be me overthinking smile again smile

Background is my ds, ddil and dgs ( 21 months) live many thousands of miles away. (10 years) Ds and I keep in touch with email and Skype and sometimes phone. Ddil sends pics of dgs every few weeks but no chatty text, that's ok. Ddil grew up and was educated on that continent, but not that area. They have now bought their own home.
We had a lovely (expensive) visit with them last year.

They are both professionals. Do not use outside child care. Ddil can be a little flexible in her part-time work. Ds works from home 2 days per week and is in the office the other 3 days, and most often one of the home working days is taken as annual leave so that child care is covered.

Dgs is very precious to them, born quite late with difficult delivery, ages 38 and mum was 41. There is no family near them and they have their own parenting ways which are excellent if a little 'by the book'. No processed food, shoes off at the door cos toddler is all over the floor, only wear cotton etc.
Dgs is a really happy child and we all get on well - though like most parents/grandparents this is helped by the fact that we don't give opinions unless asked and don't criticise.

One old portable tv that is rarely used, one old 9 yrs car because it still goes, etc. etc. Ds cycles to work.

Ds and Ddil don't have much spare time, mainly because they don't use outside child care. Ddil can work (uni tutorials) on a Saturday when ds is off. And also evening tutorials on occasion in their home. Ds would often say that time is very full on. I can understand this.

Ds has no problem with speaking his mind, he never did. We never fall out although sometimes I am a bit cross in myself - I don't say too much. They live too far away to make waves that can make an issue where there needn't be one.

I left ds's father, exh 20 years ago, after 22 years. He was paranoid schizophrenic and life eventually became too difficult. I tell you this so you know our background. Ds went no contact with his father and eventually so did I. exh was eventually permanently certifiably hospitalised.

I am remarried 11 years (known him 18 years) and have 3 step grandchildren who live locally and are a blessing.

Being summer and as dgs (who lives far away) is now well on his feet I asked ds if there was anything that dgs would like for garden fun. Amazon is excellent to deliver far off gifts for free. I asked this as they are so particular about what dgs does/plays with/ eats etc.

Ds sent me a link for 2 play items which I ordered and I added a third item.
Third item is a pop-up tent and it arrived yesterday and I got an email saying that there were small parts and as recommended age for usage was 36 months, it would have to wait until he was 3 years.
No problem - I had sent a link to ds before ordering and he said it looked good..... but so be it.

I then looked at the other 2 items (toy garden tool sets) that ds had recommended and had sent me the links for, they are due to be delivered in the next few days and I see that they are recommended for age 5 !!

I sent email to ds to say..... ''take note - just be aware these are for a 5 year old''.

Ds reply was:
""Gulp. This is what happens when you ask someone who has no time, for a recommendation for a gift. We'll see when they arrive"".
He then went on to talk chatty.

My question..... I feel a bit put out at the """""""" Gulp. This is what happens when you ask someone who has no time, for a recommendation for a gift. We'll see when they arrive""""""""". Even though he went on to be chatty.

Thing is, a lot is lost in written text. No tone, no inflexion.
Am I over thinking again ??

Thank you so much for all who have made it to the end.
I do respect all of your opinions on all other threads.

Coolgran65 Sun 12-Apr-15 14:40:57

My thinking had been..... I'd like to send dgs a gift, as you are fussy... best get a recommendation. And then I'm feeling that it has been an irritant to ask for the recommendation.

Oh..... I'm nearly irritating myself.... ;)

sunseeker Sun 12-Apr-15 14:41:08

I think you probably are overthinking this. Obviously not knowing your DS I don't know his sense of humour but I can imagine my brother making a comment like this which in his case would be pointing out his own lack of attention. I certainly wouldn't take any offence. If you can perhaps you could have a look through Amazon toys again and pick something in the correct age range and send that. Hope you get to visit them again soon.

soontobe Sun 12-Apr-15 14:41:27

I think that he is talking about himself?

soontobe Sun 12-Apr-15 14:43:56

Either way, I would very much let it pass.

Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 14:48:12

You are overthinking - I think it is a jokey self-deprecatory off-the-cuff remark. Please do not let it worry you. I am sure they will be delighted with the gifts and will dole them out when they think DGS is old enough.

Your DS has an only child and they are able to be a "precious" about all of this (unlike parents of several children whose offspring play with all sorts of "unsuitable" things!). Don't take offence - I am sure none was intended, especially as his message went on in a chatty vein.

You do well to maintain such a good relationship in spite of the big geographical gap.

MiniMouse Sun 12-Apr-15 15:02:21

I agree with the other posters! I tend to overthink, too, and take things personally when I shouldn't! As Sunseeker says, perhaps choose something else that's definitely age appropriate that would meet with their approval and send it to them smile

mcem Sun 12-Apr-15 15:09:39

I think you could reinterpret his remark as, '' Whoops, Mum, I' m sorry. Seemed like a good idea but maybe I should have looked more closely. Never mind, he'll grow into them!"
Don't let it become an issue. The situation is all the worse because of distance.
Sounds as if you're doing a good job as a long-distance gran.
Enjoy the pic's of the fun GS has with his toys.
( May I just add that all of mine loved a wheelbarrow as a garden toy.)

Elegran Sun 12-Apr-15 15:21:37

I agree that he is mentally kicking himself for not noticing it himsellf - not getting at you for asking at all. No need for you to feel guilty for bothering him when he is busy, for goodness sake it was just a question about what to get DGS.

Are there any similar toys that ARE recommended for his age? Perhaps not as fancy as the ones you sent, but more for his age now? Maybe you could send for a little something "to keep him going until he is big enough for the others" Knowing how mine are, he will probably then get more attached to the lesser temporary solution than he will to the main present when he graduates to it - children are like that!

Coolgran65 Sun 12-Apr-15 15:41:45

Thank you all. Sometimes outside perspective in needed.
I did order other stuff at the same time which will arrive this week and is definitely age appropriate. Skittles and two books.

mcem I did look at a wheelbarrow, but it was for 5 years. smile And yes the distance brings with it an 8 hour time difference that we have to work around.

It's not always easy to know if it's humour with the written word.
Ds is dyslexsc, he worked hard and was first in his class of 42 at graduation and went on to do his PhD. He is a scientist. No patience...And says what he thinks.

I have read that dyslexsa is often on the autistic spectrum and the possibility of his being on the outer limit has crossed my mind. I have never said this to anyone.

However, regardless.....he's my dear son and I love him to bits.
I will take his comment in the spirit I hope it was meant.

It's a b***er being long distances.

Thank you all....

ffinnochio Sun 12-Apr-15 16:01:13

Gosh Cool. Yes, I think you're definitely over-thinking this.

Here's what I do for my American lot. I transfer some money to my dil and ask her to buy something for the grandchildren that she knows they would like and is appropriate. She wraps it and labels it from us. Really very simple.

I'll do the same for the London lot when my granddaughter is a little older. At the moment she is of an age when an empty box is just the best of toys! smile

Let it go.

J52 Sun 12-Apr-15 16:08:19

Agree with other posts. We have a biggish gap between two of our GCs the little one plays with all the unsuitable toys designed for the older one. (Always supervised)

They both love the garden tunnel. The only bits I can think of are the pegs to anchor it and they are well hammered in. x

J52 Sun 12-Apr-15 16:10:46

The tunnel has a tent as well! x

Eloethan Sun 12-Apr-15 20:05:31

I don't think there was any criticism intended - just an explanation as to why he hadn't noticed the age range.

Coolgran65 Sun 12-Apr-15 20:33:49

Thanks everyone.

I do not sleep well and haven't done so for many years.
Various physical medical conditions and various medications could contribute.
For example last night I slept from 4 - 6am, and then 8 - 10.30am.
Many times I have felt that sleep deprivation has a lot of influence on our mood and our thinking. Especially in the middle of the night when one is exhausted but sleepless. Too much time to think and miss loved ones.

When I read over my postings on this thread I sound neurotic, honestly I'm not. The middle of the night (when I received the original email) can lend itself to deep thoughts. This one lingered.

It's wonderful to have GN where we can vent and speak openly knowing that we will get honest opinions.
I've learned a lot from GN.

J52 Sun 12-Apr-15 20:44:03

I sympathise, if I wake in the night I over think! Things get thought out of all proportion.

I am relieved when I have slept through the night. I'm afraid I have no answer to the problem of over thinking. x

Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 21:13:18

A CBT technique is to acknowledge the unhelpful thought, ask yourself whether it is improving your life, and if not to tell it to b****r off! And you do this every time the thought returns. Gradually it helps to send the thought away completely. That's the theory!

Coolgran65 Sun 12-Apr-15 22:29:38

I like the idea behind that. Nice and straightforward.
Clear off !!
Another is to say to any worrisome thought/s
'I'll wait until 6pm (or whenever) and give you 5 minutes'. Then at 6pm allow yourself maybe 10 or 15 minutes to worry. Theory is that instead of worrying all day, you have allowed a time to worry, and that the time allowed for worrying gets lesser and lesser as it can be difficult to actually worry about something for a whole 15 minutes.

soontobe Sun 12-Apr-15 22:35:32

I used to keep a note under my pillow which read approx
"Dear soontobe, if you are reading this, it is the middle of the night, and your thoughts are stupid".
Or something like that.
I found I couldnt argue with my self!

If necessary, I would take it out 2 or 3 times, then replace it. After a while, I didnt even need the note there, as I could remember what it would have said.

Coolgran65 Mon 13-Apr-15 00:28:19

Under the pillow. - like that.

joan2 Sat 25-Apr-15 07:02:30

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Soutra Sat 25-Apr-15 08:21:47

Somebody is busy this morning. Could Joan 2 please GO AWAY and leave us alone angry

Nelliemoser Sat 25-Apr-15 09:07:15

I have reported several already. I think the weekend GNHQ are having a lie in this morning.

Judthepud2 Sat 25-Apr-15 13:17:39

coolgran65 sympathies regarding the overthinking. I too have a lot of disturbed nights and the brain goes into worry overdrive. Some of these suggestions are very useful, as ever on GN.

Re your grandson, as an only and precious child his parents are obviously and naturally tending to be a bit overprotective. I had 4 children and the younger ones always had access to the older ones' toys. It can't be helped but a little common sense and vigilance ensured that they have all lived so far into their 30s! Don't worry about it too much. Toy manufacturers and sellers state the age range as a guidance, not as a prescription.

BTW my current mantra is taken from DGD favourite film Frozen ...... "Let it go" grin

annodomini Sat 25-Apr-15 13:33:44

What's all this about worrying? Can anyone tell me of any situation when worry led you to a solution?