Gransnet forums

Relationships

Toxic people

(90 Posts)
Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:22:59

My sister is dying.

We used to be close, but over the last 30+ years the relationship became progressively more and more toxic. She has cost me dear over the years, financially and emotionally. She never gave, only took. When I desperately needed someone she turned her back on me.

Last time she was ill, two years ago, I reached out the hand of friendship to her but was rejected.

Now she is terminally ill with cancer, no treatment possible. She is alone, no friends as she has driven everyone away, not just me. She hasn't told me this herself I've only found it out by chance, through the one family member she does text now and again. I don't even know where she lives since she fell out with her landlord and was evicted.

Don't some people just make a total mess of their lives?

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:26:49

Yes, I am sad

ninathenana Sun 26-Jul-15 11:27:18

I feel sad for your sister who is alone in time of need. It does sound as if she's brought her loneliness on her self.
However, I'm more sad for you missing out on a close relationship with her. flowers

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:29:58

Please don't be sad for me Nina I have a good life.

Just be sad for all those people like my sister.

sunseeker Sun 26-Jul-15 11:30:32

That is so sad. Perhaps you could try reaching out to her again - if she rejects you again then it will have been her decision, if you don't you may find yourself feeling guilty for not having tried. If she is truly alone she may be scared and may also wish to repair her relationship with you before it is too late. Do you have any other siblings?

Having a terminal illness does make people reassess their past decisions and actions, reach out to her and if she pushes you away then so be it.

Ana Sun 26-Jul-15 11:33:22

It does seem that some people get into the habit of pushing people away for various reasons, until it gets to the point where they either don't know how to change or don't want to.

What an empty life your sister has had, Anya, such a shame...

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:37:26

There are other family members sunseeker but when I told them they wanted nothing to do with her. She has my phone number but has chosen not to get in touch. I phoned her Social Worker and was told she (the SW) was not allowed to talk to me and my sister has forbidden it.

She has a SW due to her alcoholism.

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:38:16

A wasted life indeed Ana

TriciaF Sun 26-Jul-15 11:38:44

I agree with sunseeker - try once more, even if results in another rejection. If you can find out where she is.
The fact that you posted it on here shows that you still care.

whitewave Sun 26-Jul-15 11:48:53

How sad. She must be feeling very lonely, unless I suppose she prefers it that way. You didn't say whether you intend to contact her. You could give it a go but not expect too much then you won't be too hurt

glammanana Sun 26-Jul-15 11:53:23

How sad and such a shame this has happened I would be devastated if this was my sister I think one more try would not be so bad even though you have spoken with the SW and she has told you of your sisters wishes because everyone knows its her illness which has caused her to loose all her family and friends what a sad way to end her days.

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:54:25

I can't contact her as I have no contact details, and the one person who has, has been told (by her) not to pass them on.

But WW there's a lot of truth in your last statement.

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 11:56:05

I'm going for a long walk now, in the rain, to try to get my head in order.

Thanks for listening flowers

aggie Sun 26-Jul-15 11:58:48

You have been in touch via the SW . I would leave it , some people are better left as they wish

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Jul-15 12:16:41

Anya Has she always been nasty or did something go very wrong in her life?
She has clearly ended up in a right mess and her alcoholism is going to make it even more difficult to engage with her.
Given the determination with which some people seem destined to self destruct there really is not much you can do. flowers

Falconbird Sun 26-Jul-15 12:36:23

Anya - Don't know what to say so - thinking of you and flowers

annsixty Sun 26-Jul-15 12:36:59

Anya I am sorry you are in this awful situation and you will have to live with it but I do hope you are not going to dwell on it and when she dies that you will feel no guilt ,only sadness for a lost relationship. flowers

rosesarered Sun 26-Jul-15 12:41:12

I agree with Annesixty, Anya , you have tried in the past , and even just recently.There are some people in our lives that no amount of offered help and friendship can mend.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jul-15 13:00:02

How hard for you Anya - but there really is nothing you can do. You have extended a hand via the SW and had your reply. It is very painful, but I really do think that there is no more that you can do. Your sister has made her choice, bizarre though it may seem to us all.

I hope that you have been striding off into the cleansing rain, and have come back with a mind and heart refreshed and ready to move on.

soontobe Sun 26-Jul-15 13:14:44

How sad for you.

She has made her choices. Which are hers to make. I dont know that some people even regret them.
I am not sure that I would be sad for her.
Is she sad for herself?

POGS Sun 26-Jul-15 13:15:47

Anya

There are probably one or two of us who can relate to your situation, sadly.

I think the mere fact you are finding yourself to be emotionally upset is actually confirming that you have always felt there was such 'a waste' in both your sisters life and yours. It does unfortunately take 'the road of least resistance ' to cope with it, does that make sense?

I think given your circumstance I would ask the SW if she would take a letter from you to your sister. I would tell the SW that you are totally prepared for the SW to read it and agree to be the piggy in the middle but you are hoping your sister will at one stage ask to see you, or at least 'hear' your thoughts through the letter, which I know you will write with empathy and giving your sister a sense of feeling she was a sister, part of a family but like so many simply decided to take a different path when it came to how she chose to live her life.

If, as could well happen, she refuses to read it or still denies anybody contact then you have no option but to accept that as with life her death has been one of her choosing and nobody could have broken through to change it.

I hope I am not being harsh Anya but it is easy under the very sad circumstance you are in to look at how/if you could have dealt with your relationship differently but my guess is it was one we had to deal with, there are some people who don't just fall through the cracks they open the ground so wide they just free fall into self made oblivion and nobody, no empathy, no loving would/could have saved them from themselves, no matter how hard others try.

flowers. [understandingemoticon]

annodomini Sun 26-Jul-15 13:28:00

Anya, you have tried to make contact. My guess is that if you made further overtures you would be setting yourself up for further rejection. sad

Lona Sun 26-Jul-15 13:28:33

Anya how sad and difficult for you. Maybe deep down, your sister can't cope with any pity, real or perceived, or sadness at the knowledge of what she's lost.
I hope you can come to terms with whatever you decide to do, and don't feel any guilt. flowers

Anya Sun 26-Jul-15 13:52:14

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this.

I've had a long, soggy walk and a nice hot shower and my thoughts are still muddled. But I'm feeling less fraught and emotional.

I have some long, hard thinking to do.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jul-15 13:53:21

Anya, I am deeply sorry. Seems your choice is between a possible further rejection or living with 'perhaps if I had'. The rejection would not be of your doing , it may hurt you yet again but you can get on with your life in the knowledge that you could do no more x