Gransnet forums

Relationships

My grandma is very poorly

(56 Posts)
gillybob Fri 04-Sep-15 09:42:54

Many of you will already know how close I am to my dear grandma. Sadly she was admitted to hospital just over 2 weeks ago with a viral infection that we felt sure she would overcome quickly and get back home within a few days. But she has deteriated very quickly and is now (in the words of the doctor yesterday) just waiting to "go" (die). It breaks my heart how only two weeks ago we chatted and laughed, we had tea together in her favourite (traditional) way with cups and saucers sandwiches and cream cakes. Now she is NBM as she has lost the ability to swallow.

I feel like my life is "on hold". I am at the hospital twice a day every day and last night I'm not sure she even knew who I was. The doctors say this period could last days or weeks. Her body is just worn out and closing down bit by bit which is very distressing and heartbreaking to watch.

I know at 99 she has had a good, long life but why does it have to be like this?

The doctors have said we could take her home (which was her desire) and they would put some extra care in place, but I'm honestly not sure how we would cope. We are such a small family and my mum (her next of kin) is a very poorly dialysis patient and wheelchair dependant herself.

I'm sorry for this miserable post, I have always had to be the strong one in the family, the one who "sees to everything" but at the minute I just feel so helpless.

Thank you for listening. x

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 04-Sep-15 09:54:07

sad I'm so sorry to hear that gillybob. It has come cross always how close you are to her and how much you love her.

It does sound as though she is passing away peacefully. I think that is how my Granny must have passed, years ago now. It's not a bad way to go. She will probably be less and less 'with it' and will turn more and more to sleep.

Try to concentrate on the lovely times you have had together. Don't get too upset if you can help it. It is the point in life that has to come.

God bless you both. x

Lona Fri 04-Sep-15 09:55:13

Oh Gilly I know how you're feeling as I'm sure many on here do, and my heart goes out to you.
I hope your dgm doesn't suffer for long, but there's nothing you can do other than be there to hold her hand as much as possible.
Don't feel guilty or beat yourself up, you've done everything you could have done with love.
(((Hugs))) and flowers xx

kittylester Fri 04-Sep-15 10:16:35

Nothing to add gilly except to send you a huge (((hug))). flowers Take care.

Luckygirl Fri 04-Sep-15 10:43:32

flowers to you gilly - I hope that she has a peaceful end; and do not beat yourself up about not being able to care for her at home. I am sure that you will be at her side as much as you can. It is hard to watch someone slowly slipping away.

KatyK Fri 04-Sep-15 10:50:19

So sorry to hear this gilly. As others have said above, it has always come across in your posts how close you are to her. flowers She is lucky to have someone as caring as you.

soontobe Fri 04-Sep-15 10:52:12

Your life is on hold. And you are probably in shock.
If it is all right with you, I will pray that your family are all given some strength and peace to help you cope with all of this.

baubles Fri 04-Sep-15 10:54:56

Ah Gillybob it's so hard. I'm sorry. flowers

Marmight Fri 04-Sep-15 11:04:26

Gillybob. You have been such a wonderful granddaughter to her. Parting is so hard. It is time for her to go, that is what her body is telling her. She has had a good long life, especially with you in it. She will sleep away and that's how it should be. Be brave flowers and {{hugs}}

gillybob Fri 04-Sep-15 11:14:33

Thank you all for your lovely, kind comments. I'm so glad I was able to share my thoughts with you all today. You are all truly wonderful.

I know many people feel like I do every day, but it's just so hard when it's happening to you isn't it?

My mind was racing during the night as the are so many things I want need to tell her and I might not get another chance. When I sit by her bed I find myself rambling on about all sorts of things in the hope that some if it is getting through and she can hear me..... sad

Pittcity Fri 04-Sep-15 11:25:56

Sending hugs and brew to you gillybob.

vegasmags Fri 04-Sep-15 11:28:49

Thinking of you gillybob.

MiniMouse Fri 04-Sep-15 11:34:22

Gillybob Try and hang on to the thoughts of that lovely tea you had together, it was special to both of you.

Keep chatting to her - remember that she can probably hear you even if she can't respond. Hold and stroke her hand, comforting for both of you. flowers

soontobe Fri 04-Sep-15 11:43:46

For what it is worth.

I was by the bed of a relative who was dying during one evening in hospital this year. For reason I wont go in to, as she was dying, I was the only one there.
I went out twice to keep people up to date with how she was, and each time I returned after the 15 minutes I was away, she had deteriorated.

I am very much of the opinion that she could hear me at her bedside. So, you ramble on smile

annsixty Fri 04-Sep-15 11:47:22

Gillybob no matter how much we know this time will come we are still unprepared for it. With my mother I didn't know how I was supposed to feel if that makes sense. You have been a wonderful GD with a lovely relationship. Take comfort from that.

ginny Fri 04-Sep-15 12:02:50

We never have long enough with those we love. You have been a big part in her life and she in yours. So many memories. Thinking of you x

nightowl Fri 04-Sep-15 12:30:12

gilly You have shared so much about your lovely grandma with us on here that I'm sure many of us feel we know her. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this painful time even though we know it will come for all of us at some point. When my mum was dying over a period of five days we talked about many things and when she was sleeping I carried on talking about goodness knows what. I'm sure she heard some of it and it helped me to stay calm.

Your grandma will be in no doubt about how much you loved her and I am sure you have made her later years easier and happier by all that you have done for her so willingly. Keep doing what you're doing. It's possible she will have one or two lucid moments before the end so be ready for that. If it happens you will know what to say because it will come from your heart flowers

janeainsworth Fri 04-Sep-15 12:39:41

Dear gilly I'm so sorry, I know how much you love your Grandma and it's so hard to say goodbye. I do think she will be able to hear you and be aware of your presence and that will be a comfort to her in her last days. You couldn't have been a better granddaughter to her and she will know that too. x

Bellasnana Fri 04-Sep-15 13:28:13

Nothing I can add to what others have said really, but wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your news.

Your close relationship with your grandma has been evident in your posts and you have clearly been a wonderful granddaughter. It doesn't matter what age someone is when we love them, it is still so hard to let them go. Sadly, part of loving someone means we sometimes have to let them go.

I hope she sleeps peacefully away, although I know your heart is breaking, you must console yourself with the long and blessed relationship the two of you shared.

Hugs, love and flowers

glassortwo Fri 04-Sep-15 13:30:15

Oh gilly {{{hugs}}} I have messaged you. Be strong and just keeping talking to Grandma xxxxx

Luckygirl Fri 04-Sep-15 13:38:23

Oh yes - keep talking. even if she does not clock every word, your familiar voice will be balm to her.

merlotgran Fri 04-Sep-15 13:38:49

Sorry to hear this, gillybob. Knowing it's time to let go is heartbreaking but inevitable.

Your grandmother has been lucky to have such a loving granddaughter.

newist Fri 04-Sep-15 14:03:12

Oh gilly I do feel for you I know by your posts in the past how much you
love your grandma. She is very fortunate to have such a loving granddaughter in you, take care of yourself flowers

Anne58 Fri 04-Sep-15 17:24:49

Sending every good wish to you & your family, gillybob

moomin Fri 04-Sep-15 19:04:09

Oh Gilly how awfully sad for you. Thinking of you and sending love flowers x