Gransnet forums

Relationships

pressures of society on daughter

(54 Posts)
nelly Fri 29-Apr-16 16:12:08

I've just had a conversation with my (almost) thirty year old daughter and when she mentioned the fact that she's still single my reply was something like 'oh i would so like to see you settled down like your brother and sister!'.

Now I meant it in the best possible way of course - I just want her to be happy. But I did sort of get a strip torn off me about how modern women shouldn't be defined by whether they are married or not, or have boyfrinds or not etc. etc. she calmed down after I assured her that wasn't what i meant. but i do think the pressures on young women these days must be horrendous. they have career ladders to climb while contending with all the societal pressures of marriage that we (or at least I!) felt in younger years. Though people on the whole seem to be more aware of sexism, the pressures on women seem to have doubled. I'm now worried I'll put my foot in it every time we mention the subject to her, but equally don't know how to make her feel better. The only thing I could say to her was 'you never know what's around the corner'. Any suggestions?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 16:17:32

Why would you want to see her "settled down"? Don't you just want her to be happy and contented in whatever way she decides to spend her life?

I would say, don't mention this "settling down" thing again. Very dated now!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 16:19:37

What do you actually to be "round the corner" for her? Just out of interest. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 16:20:36

Should have read "actually want to be round the corner". Sorry.

nelly Fri 29-Apr-16 16:26:38

yes, completely agree it's dated - it just sort of came out that way i suppose. What I mean by something being around the corner is happiness in whatever form that takes.

the trouble is, I'm not even sure what she wants for herself, whether that's to have a relationship or not - i know she's not keen on having children. i can tell by her outburst that she's feeling the pressure, with all her friends getting married and starting to have children etc. she says she sees this so often on facebook that it makes her resentful and nervous at the same time! thinking about it, i'm sure there must be lots of other women her age who feel this too

M0nica Fri 29-Apr-16 16:40:14

DD decided when she was quite young that marriage and children were not for her. She is now in her mid 40s, has a good job and a nice home and is very happy.

Yes, I sometimes wonder about how she will cope when she is old, but she and her DB and DDiL are very close and her little niece and nephew thinks she is best thing since sliced bread. Everybody, parents, grandparents, have to take the back seat if auntie is present, so I am sure when they grow up her niece and nephew will love her and look out for her as I did for a very dear aunt.

So, nelly, do not say anything to your DD. If anything encourage her to be happy as she is, changing her situation may not be an advantage. As my mother used to say, better happily single than unhappily married.

Wendysue Fri 29-Apr-16 20:53:47

Please don't beat yourself up about this, Nelly. We all say "the wrong thing," now and then.

Why would you "mention the subject to her" though? Will it help her find someone? Or help her be happy as she is? IMO, better NOT to bring it up. And if she does, complaining about the pressures, etc., just be sympathetic ("I'm so sorry to hear that," or the like) and don't express any wishes for her (no matter how well-intended). Or, if you feel comfortable, ask her how she feels about all this and encourage her in whatever life she wants for herself.

But you seem to be worried about her happiness. Perhaps she's happy as she is now, except when feeling pressured. Still IDK why announcements on FB bother her, so maybe she's not so happy, after all. But that's something she has to figure out for herself (sigh ) - you can't do it for her.

In time, I'm sure things will resolve themselves. Meanwhile, better to express your concerns here than to her (so I'm glad you just did!).

Antjexix Fri 29-Apr-16 21:40:12

My daughter is 23 and has more than I ever had at her age. Good job with prospects,great friends and family a brandnew car. She also enjoys travel and went to New York last december. She has never had a serious boyfriend but is quite happy spending money on herself. She is clearly enjoying life which I'm very happy about. I had her when i was her age and was married to an abusive man. All I want for her is to be happy.

Antjexix Fri 29-Apr-16 21:41:18

And btw,I always the the wrong things to her wink

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 21:48:50

Monica you could have been talking about my daughter there!

I'm not sure it's always an easy road to follow, being single and coping with a career full time, and I do find myself worrying about her sometimes. But we can't do anything about it. Some things we just have to leave to them. A close, loving family will always help.

grannyqueenie Fri 29-Apr-16 22:22:00

Oh nelly I feel for you! I've a single daughter of 34 who I would dearly love to see " settled down" but mainly because I think that's what she wants for herself! She has her own flat, a fulfilling career and a great bunch of friends, but one by one her friends are establishing themselves with partners and having babies so I wonder if they will have space for her in their lives as time goes on. Her siblings are all married with children too and she's a fabulous auntie. She's "sort of seeing someone" just now so who knows....I just want her to be happy.

tinaf1 Fri 29-Apr-16 22:35:55

Not only daughters I have a son who I can relate all these posts to

Eloethan Sat 30-Apr-16 00:57:18

People can only "settle down" with someone if they find the right someone to settle down with. Surely you wouldn't want your daughter to enter into a relationship and maybe have a child just for the sake of conformity.

I expect many people want to meet someone special with whom they can enjoy a long and happy partnership. However, it doesn't happen to order and anyway these days so many relationships fail that it is probably better for a woman or a man to be able to sustain themselves financially, be independent and happy without feeling it is essential to become part of a couple.

absent Sat 30-Apr-16 05:29:52

I don't see the "pressures" on young women as any greater now than they were when I was a young woman: a career to establish – and in those days it was in a more male-dominated society – affording somewhere reasonably comfortable and convenient to live and, possibly, considering/hoping for marriage/long-term partner and children, among other things. I think it is hugely important to feel at ease with yourself and your lifestyle, even if your friends and family have opted for a different way of life. Happiness comes in many different and often unexpected forms.

thatbags Sat 30-Apr-16 06:56:46

There's nothing 'settling' about getting married and having kids. Having my first baby was the most unsettling thing I ever did. Loved it, but boy did it unsettle me!

Humbertbear Sat 30-Apr-16 09:11:17

My daughter is 43 and single. She has an interesting job, a good social life and dotes on her nephews and nieces. At one time she would have liked to find a partner and have children. Now she is perfectly happy with her life. She does what she wants, when she wants. She can enjoy the company of the little ones and then hand them back. She doesn't have to ask anyone permission before she makes a large purchase or decides to go on holiday. My mother would like to see her 'settle down' but this is an old fashioned view. We need to accept that there is more than one way to live in this world. People used to get married because it was expected of them and then have to find a way to make it bearable. If women are happy and fulfilled in their single lives why should anyone pressurise them to change?

Marmark1 Sat 30-Apr-16 09:29:08

Don't think it's to do with gender,Most of us want to see our kids settled.But yes,as long as they are happy.

Seasidenana Sat 30-Apr-16 09:31:05

I think there is similar pressure on all of us who are single, no matter what age we are. My husband went off to pastures new when I was 52, after a long marriage. Quite a shock at the time, but now 8 years later I'm still single and I feel more "settled" than I have ever been. People constantly ask if I have met anyone as if I'm not really able to exist just as myself. Senior dating sites are everywhere ! The world does revolve around couples, and it is hard to be on my own sometimes, but it's worth it. I'm not sure I would want to go back to all that hassle.

inishowen Sat 30-Apr-16 09:37:41

I grew up with a mum who wanted me married as soon as possible! She talked about girls being "on the shelf" in their twenties. I'm sure all this pressure influenced me to get married early (aged 20). Fortunately we are still married 43 years later. My mum was born in 1918 and I think she had very old fashioned ideas. I wish I'd had a career, and married much later, to the same man.

NonnaW Sat 30-Apr-16 09:49:02

I have 3 sons aged between 35-40, none of whom are, to my knowledge, in a relationship. I just want them to be happy, and they do seem to be reasonably so. No DILs for me!

squirrel5 Sat 30-Apr-16 10:04:06

Same as tinaf1andNonnaW,I have a son, 41.who is reasonably happy, but friends are all gradually"settling down",and I know he would dearly love a family ,but not met right person yet.He says that he ends up being the steady rock type of person that all his mates gravitate to when their relationships flounder and they need some unnatached male to hang about with...mind you he's an excellent uncle to 2gorgeous nieces who idolise him.

squirrel5 Sat 30-Apr-16 10:06:24

Should read unattached

harrysgran Sat 30-Apr-16 10:19:03

As a mum it's what we hope for someone to love them and care for them especially as we get older to see them content and happy is perfectly normal I was married in my early twenties it didn't last and I know now I did just go along with it because it was expected

ninathenana Sat 30-Apr-16 10:21:23

H's cousin is a 73 year old bachelor who shared a house with his mum until she died 5 yrs ago.
He adores children and they adore him. He spends a fortune on Christmas presents for all of them (was nieces n nephews now great nephews including my GSs)
He has a long term partner (10 yrs) but they hang on to their independence and live separately. He's settled down in his own way grin

SunnySusie Sat 30-Apr-16 13:04:39

We are so fortunately nowdays in that a wide variety of domestic arrangements and relationships are OK. When I was growing up in the 50s it was simply taken for granted you would marry and have children. My 'careers advice' at school was to become a teacher so I could get home in time to cook my husbands dinner and would be at there in the holidays for my children. No mention of having teaching ability or inclination! Both my daughter and son are unmarried and in their 30s with busy and fulfilling careers and they are very happy. So brilliant that they can do what suits them rather than following any convention.

I think you should support your daughter in whatever way she chooses to live her life and make no mention whatsoever of settling down, or what might happen in the future, unless asked of course, when I think its OK to express a personal opinion but to also be prepared to have it shot down in flames (my 'kids' are very good at this, but we still remain the best of friends!)