Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

How fragile we are ... and how beautiful it all is

(45 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 23-Nov-14 15:17:44

This is a wonderful pictorial explanation of the whole universe shebang. It fills me with wonder. And it makes me think, why us? Why here?

www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-universe-is-scary

tanith Sun 23-Nov-14 15:31:56

Truly wondrous and unimaginably large. Thanks Grannyknot it does make you wonder just what could be out there doesn't it?

ffinnochio Sun 23-Nov-14 15:52:50

Great pics. gk.

Nothing like a bit of perspective to re-enforce the insignificance of one's life in the vastness of space. smile

Just curious - why post on the R & S thread?

Perhaps we need a Natural Sciences forum.

rockgran Sun 23-Nov-14 16:25:47

It does make you realise that the Christmas shopping isn't really that important! hmm

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:33:22

So we won't be finding life on another planet any day soon, then? grin

Still doesn't alter my opinion on playing xmas music too soon, though...

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:34:40

If you believe that God made the universe, I suppose it's logical to put it on the R&S board?

rockgran Sun 23-Nov-14 16:47:06

Spirituality can mean "awe and wonder" without a religious connection. If something lifts your spirits out of the ordinary - perhaps music, a beautiful view or achieving a goal- then you are experiencing a spiritual moment. This is something we all need.
(In my humble opinion.)

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:48:36

That is very true.

Lilygran Sun 23-Nov-14 16:57:50

Thank you for this link, Grannyknot. Amazing!

Grannyknot Sun 23-Nov-14 18:01:53

ffinochio I momentarily forgot there was a Science section smile.

Me posting it on here was instinctive, so rockgran, you are spot on.

thatbags Sun 23-Nov-14 18:38:41

Awe and wonder, yes. Well said, rockgran.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Nov-14 18:54:38

I find it patronising. Most people know the facts of the universe. Even the kids with all the cardboard displays of the planets and stars now available.

Totally rolled off me.

Eloethan Sun 23-Nov-14 20:46:30

I'm not a great fan of spending money on space travel but I thought these photos and illustrations were quite mind boggling. I'm obviously not that well educated because I didn't know all the facts displayed, so they were useful to me at least.

ninathenana Sun 23-Nov-14 22:54:38

We know sky is blue and grass is green but some can see the beauty in it.

Great link.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Nov-14 23:01:03

I see the beauty of it when I look up into the night sky. Somewhere dark. In the countryside. Pics on the net don't cut it for me.

smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Nov-14 23:01:13

X

Greenfinch Sun 23-Nov-14 23:06:33

Absolutely jingl !

Elegran Sun 23-Nov-14 23:09:01

But knowing that the distances are immense, and it is not just an inverted bowl with the stars pinned onto the inside of it, does make the beauty even more intense. And makes our tenancy of this blue/green sphere even more fragile and unlikely.

thatbags Mon 24-Nov-14 07:25:21

Fragile, unlikely but actual, and very insignificant on the big scale, that's us. I love that kind of perspective smile.

I like the dark, starry sky as well as pics on the web. Nice to have both.

Elegran Mon 24-Nov-14 09:27:13

Some people say that knowing the nuts and bolts takes away from the mystic beauty. I have to disagree. Knowing even a little about how intricately something works, or about the complicated mathematics and unlikely coincidences which have made it as it is, just increases the wonder of anything existing at all.

thatbags Mon 24-Nov-14 09:40:56

I agree, elegran. The more I know the more awesome it all seems.

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 09:56:36

It all makes our little Solar System seem quite homely. There must be something 'out there' but will we ever know? Only if something or someone set out thousands or millions of years ago to look for us, maybe evolving through the aeons, as they travelled in their space craft...

POGS Mon 24-Nov-14 10:04:24

GrannyKnot

I found the pictures fascinating.

I am not really interested in space and the universe, lack of education maybe.

It made me think, some would say 'well there's a first'. smile.

tanith Mon 24-Nov-14 10:52:28

Well it taught me the difference between the Universe, a Solar System and a Galaxy for a start, who knew? I realised how ignorant I am of space and all it entails.. who knew that our moon is bigger than Pluto? not me! I read with great interest and wonder how its possible that the night sky and stars that we can actually see are such an infinitesimal part of it all..

Found it fascinating and its prompted me to find out more..

Mishap Mon 24-Nov-14 13:47:36

It is all intriguing stuff and puts our world/lives into perspective.

But it would be good if we could find the energy to put this little world into order - would the efforts that go on space study be better spent on getting the here and now right? Might all the knowledge of space one day help to achieve that?