Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Endless fascination with the possibility of the "afterlife" ;

(349 Posts)
wotanuisanceABC123 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:51:24

Has anyone else, without proof positive been fascinated with the afterlife, spiritual communication etc? I have been since aged 8

whitewave Wed 14-Oct-15 19:52:47

No

Luckygirl Wed 14-Oct-15 22:12:51

No

Alea Wed 14-Oct-15 22:15:47

Not personally, but would you like to tell us more?

Jomarie Wed 14-Oct-15 22:17:53

Yes.

annodomini Wed 14-Oct-15 22:50:23

No. I find plenty in this life to preoccupy me.

Anne58 Wed 14-Oct-15 23:19:06

I did have a very odd occurrence once, that rather made me re-think my previous opinions.

When I am ready I will post the details, but suffice to say for now, it was quite shocking.

tanith Thu 15-Oct-15 08:39:49

No

Alea Thu 15-Oct-15 08:57:50

This is a strange thread. Like pulling teeth.
Apart from Phoenix there seems to be nothing to add. Would OP like to say why (s)he is interested?

felice Thu 15-Oct-15 09:43:03

Looked at the name and realised it is half-term in some places ????????????

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-Oct-15 09:50:55

wotanuisanceABC123 has posted before. It's not a wind-up. Why would it be? hmm

Of course I have some interest in the possibility of some sort of after-life. I don't believe anyone on this earth hasn't. The older I get, the more I believe thugh that we go back to the nothingness that we came from. I'm not sure if I'm sad or glad about that.

The only time I thought I was having some sort of "from the other side" thing, I was already in a distressed to the point of hysteria state. So there was most likely nothing in it.

To have a fascination with it would be unhealthy. I'm glad I don't have such a fascination.

Elegran Thu 15-Oct-15 09:55:02

Wasnt that just wotanuisance, without the extra letters and numbers?
Agree that a fascination with it is unhealthy - it usually means that someone is very unhappy in this life so they concentrate on the next one (presumably better but they could be in for a disappointment).

gillybob Thu 15-Oct-15 10:38:15

I have never believed in any kind of afterlife. I always thought that when you are gone you are gone and its what you leave behind that matters. Recently losing my grandma, who was a devout catholic has made me question my cyniscism. My grandma absulutely believed that when she arrived in heaven she would be reunited with her beloved husband and her two sons taken from her far too young. Her absolute belief meant that she was never afraid of dying and only looked at it as some kind of transition period.

rosesarered Thu 15-Oct-15 12:53:48

I have had some strange things happen too, not connected to the afterlife but odd enough to make me think we don't know everything. I am not generally a fan of imagining angels, husbands turning into butterflies for a visit or fairies at the bottom of the garden though.

rosesarered Thu 15-Oct-15 12:57:57

The thing is, we don't know for a fact that 'when you are gone, you are gone' in fact, there isn't a lot that we do know when it comes down to it, but that doesnt mean we should be too gullible to magic crystals, ghost stories, and the like.

Alea Thu 15-Oct-15 13:03:00

This seems a bit of a "non-thread" unless OP comes back and says a bit more hmm

gillybob Thu 15-Oct-15 13:06:18

I agree roses I used to think that being dead was probably like being under the influence of a strong anaesthetic. You just don't exist. No powers of thought whatsoever. More recently I am wondering what if.

I do envy those people who have strong beliefs. It must be such a comfort.

hildajenniJ Thu 15-Oct-15 13:13:25

I have a foot in both camps. Sometimes I am doubtful of an afterlife, and other times I firmly believe. Here's a little story I might have told before. My DGD aged 23months asked her mum about Christmas and my DD began to explain by telling her about the birth of Jesus. "Now", she said, " you know Jesus". Before she could get any further my DGD said, "No, but I know God", and in a wistful voice, " Heaven". My DD is not religious, and had never spoken about God, Heaven or anything so connected. Why, then would a 23 month old even know the words? Was she remembering a time before birth? It is something to think about.

harrigran Thu 15-Oct-15 13:14:09

When a brain stops functioning it is like turning off the electricity, no power, end of. Ghosts are memories in your brain, not the dead person.

gillybob Thu 15-Oct-15 13:23:52

Indeed hildajenni. My DGD's (9 and 7) were very close to my late grandma and they absolutely know that she is in heaven now, feeding a horse they adored, that their mum had from being a small child, who died at the ripe old age of 29! Infact the youngest DGD said that she had "heard little grandma galloping around on Blaze in her sleep" chance would be a fine thing my grandma was 99 and could barely walk never mind ride. grin

tigger Thu 15-Oct-15 13:24:50

I don't have a fascination with the afterlife but have an interest and some experience. However, it does require some responsibility because we should never forget that involvement is part of the occult.

LullyDully Thu 15-Oct-15 18:33:15

I do believe that when you are dead all is over.

However I have my parents and Grandmothers in my heart full of many fond memories.

I love to see their photos and talk to them often.

When I had my radioactive thyroxin I wasn't able to have any human contact for 3 days.
I did hallucinate that all my Welsh family females were there with me. Mother, Grannies and Aunties. They were chatty and fun trying to keep me company.

I am convinced it was my imagination however. ((Lovely ladies.)

Heart believes in heaven and brain certainly doesn't.

annodomini Thu 15-Oct-15 19:24:50

Was that one of those 'drop a pebble in the pool and watch the ripples spread' OPs?

Alea Thu 15-Oct-15 19:29:05

wink

Ana Thu 15-Oct-15 19:49:06

There seem to be a few of those about recently...smile