Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Humanism at last

(64 Posts)
granjura Wed 25-Nov-15 12:38:49

Fabulous news:

Here's the full story on our legal case to win recognition of Humanism in the English Religious Studies GCSE.

This judgment means that schools across the country will have to include non-religious worldviews such as Humanism, and pupils taking the GCSE will have to learn about non-religious worldviews alongside the course.

The judgement also said that 'the state must accord equal respect to different religious convictions, and to non-religious beliefs' - which makes today a h... See More

I am all for RE education to encourage more tolerance and understanding- but I've always argued with colleagues that humanism/Atheism should also be studied as valid options. And always had concerns about RE, in my experience in all the schools I taught at, being taught by evangelical Christians who put a very heavy slant on the course.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 12:48:11

God forbid any teacher should encourage to live life according to the Christian religion. hmm

I'm not sure how you can teach atheism. What would you say, "some people do not believe in any God", and that would be it. Or would you actively dissuade children to become a member of a church. Any church.

And what is there to humanism that isn't already covered in pastoral lessons? (Be nice. etc)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 12:48:31

Encourage kids

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 12:50:42

I think the way children are taught about all world religions, is excellent. But it does have to be religion, or how can it be included in Religious Education? Makes no sense to me.

Crafting Wed 25-Nov-15 13:06:37

I must admit to being confused about humanism. I understand that it generally means being kind and considerate etc but does that mean that there are no bad tempered humanists or what?

mollie Wed 25-Nov-15 13:34:42

I understand teaching humanism as its a philosophy but am baffled at insisting aethism be included in a religious context. As Jingle asked, what is there to teach?

Greenfinch Wed 25-Nov-15 14:12:05

I used to teach Religious Education/Studies and I would strongly refute the assumption that it is taught by evangelical Christians.It is taught by a wide range of people including my DH who is an agnostic. Most teachers of this subject in my experience are liberal thinkers and questioners themselves and that is why they are suited to help young people develop the spiritual dimension of their experience.Therefore I too would question the inclusion of humanism and atheism here. There are other areas of the curriculum where they could be developed but by its very definition my personal thought is that atheism has no place in religious studies.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 14:13:11

Exactly Greenfinch.

gillybob Wed 25-Nov-15 14:24:38

I agree with the teaching of humanism in RE/Studies although I am wondering if, as jings said it isn't already covered in pastoral?

It must crop up in the NC as my DGD (9) has mentioned it. She currently can't decide whether she wants to be a Buddist or an Atheist "when she grows up" confused and can make a fairly serious argument for either.

Tegan Wed 25-Nov-15 15:01:08

My slant on it is that it's good for children to realise that you can live your life by why are essentially Christian principles [imo the best principles of any religion anywhere] without having to believe in God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost [which is what friend once told me when I said I thought I was a Christian]. He said if I didn't believe in the existence of those three I wasn't a Christian and that was that.

ginny Wed 25-Nov-15 15:58:48

Of course all religions should be covered and explained in schools.
So as far as I am concerned they should also be told that one does not have to have to be of or belong to any religion. Whether this be in RE lessons or another I'm not sure.
I hope things have changed these days but I don't know of anyone who was told of this option.

Anniebach Wed 25-Nov-15 17:13:40

I don't see how is can be taught in R E?

Why not pacifism too?

Luckygirl Wed 25-Nov-15 17:17:25

Why not indeed?

I don't really mind what subject it comes under as long as children become aware that living a decent and kindly life is not dependent on a religious belief.

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 17:19:40

Yup. Well said, lucky.

ginny Wed 25-Nov-15 17:21:31

Exactly Luckygirl

Anniebach Wed 25-Nov-15 17:24:14

gillybob, my elder granddaughter who took R E to A level, went from Buddhism , Christianity, humanism and when she developed a crush on a boy from Nepal gave some thought to Baha'i or Hindu, and for a very short time took an interest in the faith of the North American Indian

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 17:26:30

Why not just follow the best precepts of all of them? They are pretty universal and applicable everywhere. Saves a lot of bother about belief systems.

feetlebaum Wed 25-Nov-15 17:41:53

@thatbags - As in The Golden Rule? It appears in one form or another in just about every philosophy - Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Unless you are a masochist, of course!

granjura Wed 25-Nov-15 19:21:39

jingl, it is not about 'teaching atheism' or 'humanism' as such - but explaining that you do not need a religion to develop a strong moral framework. The assumption for the current syllabus that you either are religious- or do not have 'morality' is wrong. If children look at how different religions would react when faced with a dilemma, then they could see how humanists would rationalise their actions.

Greenfinch, I am so pleased to hear that- I can only speak about the schools I taught at and the ones my children and grand-children attend/ed.

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 19:28:29

Agreed, feetle. What one believes religion- or non-religion-wise doesn't really matter except on a private, personal level. It's how one behaves towards others that matters.

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:56:21

Thanks Greenfinch - your comments fit well with the experience at our daughter's high school. I have friends who taught RE who fit into the mold you describe perfectly.

Crafting Wed 25-Nov-15 20:03:09

I am a Christian but have never thought for one second that I am better than anyone else (far from it) or that you have to have faith to be a good kind person. I think that in every colour, race or religion (or no religion) that there are good and bad people. Kindness can be found in all sorts of places as can evil and wickedness.

Anniebach Wed 25-Nov-15 22:16:26

Same for me Crafting, I have met kindness and nastiness with Christians and atheists .

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 22:24:59

"The assumption for the current syllabus that you either are religious- or do not have 'morality' is wrong." (*gj*)

There is no such assumption. hmm

Sounds like aggresive atheists pushing their own agenda, to me.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Nov-15 22:34:42

I don't see it as aggressive atheism - it is neither aggressive nor atheist. Many humanists are agnostic, not atheist. And including humanism in the curriculum is simply honest and fair.

Above all else we should be honest with children in school. We should tell them that there are people who believe many different things, some including the supernatural and some not. If we do not include the "some not", then it is dishonest.