Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Super moon

(15 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 10-Aug-14 22:29:16

Anyone else awed by the moon tonight? I've never seen it quite so bright or so clear. In a cloudless sky - SW London.

Ana Sun 10-Aug-14 22:35:00

Didn't we have one not long ago? What's going on with these Supermoons? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 10-Aug-14 22:40:41

Yes. It's coincidence that they're coming thick and fast at the moment. One more to come soon.

Tonight's was supposed to be the best for, I think, 30 years, but it did n't seem as big as others have been. confused Very bright though. Lovely!

Elegran Sun 10-Aug-14 22:41:06

It is inflation. Everything is supersize these days. Packets come in large, super and family sizes. Never medium, small and titchy.

Tegan Sun 10-Aug-14 22:41:32

Crikey; was expecting it to be shrouded in mist but it's so clear...I can even see things on it [Clangers??]. It's behind the branch of a tree so I'm going to check it out when it moves a bit. When is the next meteor shower due??

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 10-Aug-14 22:43:19

20 years, not 30

Elegran Sun 10-Aug-14 22:45:36

"The Perseid meteor shower began on Saturday and is expected to finish on Wednesday. Perseid meteors will appear to "rain" into the atmosphere from the constellation Perseus, which rises in the northeast around 11 p.m. in mid-August."

Galen Sun 10-Aug-14 22:58:31

Best Perseid shower I ever saw was in mid channel sailing with oh. No light pollution, lovely clear sky. Incredible!
Oh for those days again.

Tegan Sun 10-Aug-14 23:11:48

Darn it; I was planning to be in Bamburgh for it this year; was going to park up by the beach with a flask of coffee and stargaze all night. Will have to mark it on the calendar for next year [can't believe it's a year since the last one...]

absent Sun 10-Aug-14 23:34:09

There's not a lot of light pollution here so the moon was really spectacular last night and again about 6.20 this morning. Fingers crossed I get to see the next one in 20 years. smile

thatbags Mon 11-Aug-14 07:00:08

Things have to be "the best in" or some other superlative (coldest, hottest, weirdest, wildest) in a (whatever) period of time for people to take notice, it seems. It wouldn't do just to say the moon will be bright tonight; take a look if it's a clear night near you.

Grannyknot Mon 11-Aug-14 07:40:32

Not everyone bags, I look out for the moon most nights, I love to see it wax and wane over the course of the weeks. Last night's was particularly thrilling.

J52 Mon 11-Aug-14 07:57:05

We are in dark sky national park area. Hope there's no clouds tonight to see the meteors. There was a lot of cloud last night so DH only got to see the moon by getting up very early this am.
We have seen the meteors in previous years, they are quite spectacular.
X

SteveJackson Mon 22-Sep-14 04:23:58

When will be the next supermoon?

ninathenana Mon 22-Sep-14 09:20:44

September 28th 2015 according to Google smile