Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Gransnet Names

(56 Posts)
absent Fri 27-Mar-15 19:50:09

As Gransnet has grown – it will shortly celebrate its fourth birthday – there has been an overlap, although not, of course, a duplication of names. We have a number of rose and katy variations, for example, and I, naturally, am particularly aware of the recent arrival of absentgrandma. Can I put in a plea for using a name that is distinctively identifiable when you are replying directly to a specific poster. I spent a lot of time this morning trawling through a very long thread looking for something I didn't remember posting which had sparked a somewhat acerbic response to absent. Eventually I tracked down the "offending" post which I hadn't made at all. I don't want to change my name as I have been absent here, as it were, for nearly four years and I wouldn't dream of expecting someone else to do so.

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 20:00:48

I chose my name (an amalgam of my given middle name and sort of maiden surname) before I realised there were other rose somethings. But if it confuses people I will change as I was not the first rose something.

I will try to cut and paste names (but can't promise to do it on the tablet) hmm)

Galen Fri 27-Mar-15 20:32:32

Are there any other Galens?

Ana Fri 27-Mar-15 20:38:42

rosequartz, I don't think there's any problem with you and other roses (I can only think of one). absent is just being protective of her own user name.

I must admit I sometimes get confused between the two (or is it three?)*whens*.

I know it's easier and seems more friendly to abbreviate user names, but perhaps we shouldn't?

absent Fri 27-Mar-15 20:41:21

It's only the confusable ones that perhaps people wouldn't mind avoiding abbreviating unless a poster actually objects to abbreviations. I really don't like being addressed as a muscle group. grin

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 20:43:35

You could be quartz or RQ.

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 20:43:50

Not you, absent.

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 20:44:22

[obviously emoticon]

Lilygran Fri 27-Mar-15 21:03:56

The other Lily on GN seems to be a cat!

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 22:12:49

There could only be one Galen wink

Although is there a Gally?

Grannyknot Fri 27-Mar-15 22:23:19

Around the time I joined GN, everyone seemed to be changing their names. It was like musical chairs grin

Marelli Fri 27-Mar-15 22:36:08

There used to be a Gally, rosequartz, but she changed her name.

Charleygirl Fri 27-Mar-15 22:41:52

absent is a short enough name- it is sheer idleness I think to shorten it.

I find it rather different with 3 names rolled into one, I do not want to single anybody out, causing offence.

My last cat was called Charley and I added girl to identify my gender.

Galen Fri 27-Mar-15 22:43:47

Great relief! I didn't think GN could cope with more than one of megrin

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-15 22:45:45

I have to look closely not to confuse Ana with Anya

I rarely drink Merlot these days (diet) but voddiewithsodawaterandfreshlime is a tad too long I think?

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 22:58:37

limey? but they might think you were a sailor.
merlotgran sounds so much more refined.

Thankyou marelli, I thought I remembered gally

Posters may not get their names capitalised when I type on the tab.

annodomini Fri 27-Mar-15 22:59:29

I cornered the market on annodomini when I changed from my previous appellation. There are a few variations on Ann and Anne.

grumppa Fri 27-Mar-15 23:09:12

Happy to be abbreviated to Grump, but always slighly sensitive to one of the ps being omitted; perhaps it's a deep-seated anxiety about whether it's the first or second p that is being left out.

gillybob Fri 27-Mar-15 23:57:49

I have always been Gillybob and have never (yet) felt the need to change although I know there are are couple of similar names. Perhaps GNHQ should have a a policy that prevents names that are too similar.

I understand where you are coming from though Absent

absent Sat 28-Mar-15 04:22:29

gollybib I am pretty sure that I have mangled your name a number of times over the years, probably because I have imbibed too much wine, although not now at 5.15 in the evening. Soon I hope! But then you know I always mean well (I really am sorry about my rather sharp comments re leggings and even perhaps onesies too – no that's a step too far).

Leticia Sat 28-Mar-15 07:10:42

I was told that we can't change names- we have to deregister and rejoin. Is that correct?
I would quite like to change mine. Judging by one person's opinion of me I think it perhaps paints a woman with twin set and pearls who is way out of touch! I actually took it from family history, an ancestor born in 1805 who was a farm labourer's daughter and died a pauper. (I thought it quite a name among the Mary's, Elizabeths etc)

kittylester Sat 28-Mar-15 07:22:17

I understand where you are coming from absent. When I noticed there was another kitty it made me feel rather odd and that we might be confused! I haven't seen many posts by the other one though! I get confused by the Roses (I thought there were 3).

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 07:35:26

I used to be NanaAnna when I joined GN at the very beginning, but found there was a NannaAnna as well. I think she still posts periodically.

Aren't there two yogas too?

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 07:40:04

Leticia, don't change your name. I had an aunt with that name. She lived to a ripe old she, smoked like a trooper using a long cigarette holder, drifted around in lacy shawls, long skirt and crazy hats. She was elegant, extrovert, very intelligent and delightfully nutty. I loved her dearly.

absent Sat 28-Mar-15 07:54:44

Anya I thought people swore like troopers but smoked like chimneys or, occasionally, kippers.