Gransnet forums

Site stuff

System very Sluggish

(15 Posts)
Eloethan Fri 22-May-15 14:41:13

Over the last few weeks, I have been experiencing everything slowing down when I'm on Gransnet (particularly at night), to the point where the screen has virtually frozen and I have to log out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nelliemoser Fri 22-May-15 15:16:45

Eloethan I thought reading the title this thread was going to be about constipation. blush

Is your problem only with GN or are you on an area where your internet service gets particularly busy in the evenings? (If that could technically happen.) Someone will come along in a minute and laugh at that suggestion.

Teetime Fri 22-May-15 15:30:26

I'm finding it slow too - I think its when the adverts are loading on to the site.

tanith Fri 22-May-15 15:35:25

I haven't had any problems , could it be your service as Nelliemoser says?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 16:03:21

Our whole internet cuts out momentarily sometimes in the evenings. Maddening, but not worth getting onto the suppliers and having to go through the whole rigmarole with them.

Nelliemoser Fri 22-May-15 16:19:59

You can get rid of loads of adverts. Look at "adblock plus".

Do install it from the site below. (Not one of the subsidary sites which captures your search and might send you a whole lot of crap with it.)

As most of my ads have gone now I can't describe how to do it. Looking at the site it seems that there are versions for whichever type of browser or operating system you use.

adblockplus.org/

Eloethan Fri 22-May-15 16:20:06

I haven't noticed it on other sites.

janerowena Fri 22-May-15 16:21:33

It's happening to me too, and I have got rid of adverts.

Nelliemoser Fri 22-May-15 16:22:06

Right! That's that theory blown out of the water. grin

Nelliemoser Fri 22-May-15 16:24:17

Perhaps the GNHQ night staff are playing very heavy internet use adventure games on the system at night! wink

janerowena Fri 22-May-15 16:33:52

grin

shysal Fri 22-May-15 17:21:04

I find GN slow on weekend mornings. I assumed it was due to some sort of system maintenance.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-May-15 18:12:36

<closes solitaire immediately> hmm, we haven't been experiencing any problems from this end. Could well be the internet connection in your area, but we'll get our tech team to check once they're back in the office!

petra Sat 23-May-15 09:08:44

Nellie. I clicked on the link and it said: Safari can not open this file. I'm doing this on my ipad, any ideas.

Nelliemoser Sat 23-May-15 10:12:07

Petra

Try this are you a Mac user?
www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26171/safari-adblock

Or just Google adbloc for whatever your system is.