Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Thread created by...

(31 Posts)
Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 10:18:32

Wouldn't it be good to have a header in the 'Active' lists which showed who actually created the thread? I think I would find this more useful than seeing the name of the latest poster to the thread. The time of the latest post could still be shown, so we would know if there were any additions to the thread since we'd last checked.
Any thoughts?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Sep-15 10:22:18

I think it doesn't matter who started a thread. Often threads wander. They should. Often they stray away from the original subject for a while, and then return to it. The conversation is more important than who started the thread.

IMHO smile

Anne58 Sat 05-Sep-15 10:28:13

It's worth considering, there are some posters whose threads I make a point of reading, and there are some that I avoid!

janeainsworth Sat 05-Sep-15 11:01:06

I prefer to know the name of the last poster. It helps me decide whether to read the post or not wink

ninathenana Sat 05-Sep-15 11:01:24

I miss seeing the time and name of the last post. No such luxuries on the mobile site.
Also on other forums I belong to you can go straight to last page from the active page. So for instance on 'Ask a Question' you wouldn't have to open the thread and then click last. That's would be useful.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Sep-15 11:04:44

Yes I agree with both those points, Nina
I've given up with the mobile site for that reason, and also because I can't go to 'I'm On' which is where I look first.
Annoyingly, my phone reverts to the mobile site of its own volition, and GN then wants me to log in again as well.
[Very loud GRRRRRRR emoticon]

ninathenana Sat 05-Sep-15 11:12:52

That would really annoy me too janeainsworth I have GN mobile pinned to start on my phone and am permanently logged in. My phone is passworded so I figure that's ok.

Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 11:18:35

The 'I'm on' button is at the bottom of the page when I use the mobile site in my iPhone janea. I wonder why you can't access it hmm

ninathenana Sat 05-Sep-15 12:41:57

'I'm on' is not something I ever use so hadn't noticed it was on the blue bar at the bottom with 'active' 'watching' etc. on my mobile. I will go and try it smile

janeainsworth Sat 05-Sep-15 13:08:36

shock so it is.
how weird blushblush

Thank you indi

shysal Sat 05-Sep-15 14:04:35

Do you use the bookmark janea? you will then always be taken to the last post you read.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Sep-15 17:32:05

No - where's the bookmark?
Showing my ignorance now blush

kittylester Sat 05-Sep-15 18:14:28

If you click on the white bit on the bottom right of the last post you read it sort of does it for you when it offers you the bookmark button. That's the technical version, you understand! grin

janeainsworth Sat 05-Sep-15 18:16:30

Got it grin
Thank you kitty smile

Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 19:19:30

Oh thanks Shysal - I didn't realise that's what the bookmark was for, which is why I've never bothered to use it. I will now!

soontobe Sat 05-Sep-15 19:24:46

I am blowed if I can see any white bookmark. Everything looks white to me. White all the way.

Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 19:32:19

stb, it's not a white bookmark - just hover your mouse in the blank space to the right of a post and the word 'bookmark' will appear. It's a blue rectangle with white text.

Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 19:32:55

Immediately under 'Private message'

Ana Sat 05-Sep-15 19:35:58

Unless of course you've disabled 'bookmarks' as I have.

soontobe Sat 05-Sep-15 20:15:21

Ah. Thanks both of you.
I went into customise[never been in there before I dont think] and my bookmark is on off. I presume that is the default, unless I did wander in there at some point and turn it off.

ninathenana Sat 05-Sep-15 20:26:22

Thanks for the lesson I now know how to use bookmark. How many years have I been a member grin Doesn't work on mobile site though.

kittylester Sat 05-Sep-15 20:46:16

It does Nina, if you hover in the right place bookmark appears under the post!

Indinana Sat 05-Sep-15 21:04:48

And if using the mobile site actually on your smart phone, then you tap on the three little dots bottom right of the post and a series of options appears below, one of which is bookmark.

ninathenana Sun 06-Sep-15 00:45:45

Thanks, dots work on my phone but after one successful attempt doing it on my Kindle (no dots) I can't make it happen again confused
Never mind.

absent Sun 06-Sep-15 06:29:41

I don't think it matters who created a thread, whatever the subject a number of threads will end up discussing a single member's idiosyncratic religious opinions and a number will be dominated by Gransnet's very own, self-styled Renaissance woman. [sour face emoticon]

Okay – sorry for being a ratbag.