Gransnet forums

Site stuff

(24 Posts)
Shestheone Sun 07-Feb-16 15:41:09

following on from Indinana's post, now that I've been able to get 1,000 posts per page, I wondered if the techy tech people could look into adding a 'back to top' thing please? ( sorry, not techy, so didn't know what to call it......)

And phew, previewed this, as predictive text wrote 'tetchy tech'! Not the way to ask for a favour!!

kittylester Sun 07-Feb-16 15:43:25

I think there is that on my phone but on my laptop I just press 'home'.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 15:45:33

Sorry for digression- but how do you erase a pm on Facebook? Tried to highlight and press on backspace or x - but it just gets me out of pm. Put detail on there I shouldn't have.

kittylester Sun 07-Feb-16 15:55:02

I think if you search your setting you can 'edit' GJ. I needed it once and I think thats what I did.

Jalima Sun 07-Feb-16 16:16:12

I just had a try granjura
I brought up a message (which brought up the whole thread between me and the other person) then clicked on 'actions' which is in the bar on the top next to 'New Message'. 'Delete Messages' brings up a small box which appears on the left of each message, click on the message you want to delete, click on 'actions' again and then delete. Or you can delete the whole conversation in one go.

Thanks for asking the question, I now know how to get rid of loads of messages I didn't want to keep. smile

Sorry, Shestheone hijacking your thread.

And I still can't get 1,000 posts per page!

Shestheone Sun 07-Feb-16 21:30:24

No worries, Jalima ?

Never knew that about FB either - love some of the things I've learned on this site.

And thanks, Kittylester for your reply - it made me go and experiment ?

Found that by touching the address bar, I can use the back arrow to get to the top!

Every day's a school day ?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 22:02:01

I hit the 'home' button on pc. But I don't think there is a quick way to get back to the top on my Ipad mini, which is annoying.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 07-Feb-16 22:08:12

Hmm...we'll have a chat with untetchy but very techy tech grin

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 09:16:56

If you're using a PC - you can click on the 'home' button to get to the top, or 'end' to get to the bottom of the page (as others have suggested).

If you're on a Mac, you can press cmd + the up arrow, or down arrow if you want the bottom.

More info here: www.tekrevue.com/tip/mac-keyboard-shortcuts-navigate-documents/

jingl - for your iPad Mini, can you tab on the space above the address bar? This works for my iPhone...

Shestheone Mon 08-Feb-16 10:35:23

Thanks for both of your replies ( and to Lara for also 'getting' my humour! )

Like jingl I use an iPad..... Touching next to the web address gives me the <, which takes me to the beginning.

Which is loads better than sitting somewhere public, frantically swiping away, looking like some kind of nutty composer ?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Feb-16 11:37:27

shestheone's that doesn't work for me because there is no space between the end of the address and the star which means 'bookmark'. So I would just end up bookmarking everything.

Kat When I click on that space thing up there it just makes a new tab. And I go away from the site.

confused Totally. Never mind. grin I will continue to use the 'go back' arrow and then find the thread again.

Thank you for your kind efforts with this daft old sod smile

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 10-Feb-16 20:57:16

It's the small space above the address bar - see this page: ipadinsight.com/ipad-tips-tricks/ipad-basics-how-to-jump-straight-to-the-top-of-the-page-in-safari-mail-notes-and-more/

Hope that helps!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 22:30:20

Oh! Right up there. Yes, that works. (who knew that?!) smile Thank you Kat. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 22:31:17

That's amazing! It works every time you do it!

MiniMouse Wed 10-Feb-16 22:50:19

..... and that's why I love Gransnet grin Thank you!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Feb-16 09:21:16

Hurrah! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Feb-16 09:34:44

You are, actually, totally amazing KatGN. sunshine

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Feb-16 10:27:18

Glad you think so grin

mumofmadboys Thu 11-Feb-16 11:13:05

Why has my home page appeared differently for a few days and then gone back to previous format? Have I accidentally changed a setting??

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Feb-16 11:25:25

shock Don't pile more problems on 'er! wink

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Feb-16 11:33:09

mumofmadboys

Why has my home page appeared differently for a few days and then gone back to previous format? Have I accidentally changed a setting??

In what way was it different? What device are you using? You may be viewing it on the mobile site or desktop site.

mumofmadboys Thu 11-Feb-16 13:56:24

Actually it was the format of active threads which was different. Same device throughout - hudl. It said the last contributor to a thread and had a box at top saying 'last hour'. Now back to list of threads without these details. What have I done??

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Feb-16 14:00:00

We do have a Last Hour tab, where you can check on threads that have been posted on in the last hour: www.gransnet.com/search-forums?searchtype=since&lasthour=1

Could it be that instead of Active? www.gransnet.com/forums/active-conversations

mumofmadboys Thu 11-Feb-16 15:11:34

Thanks Kat. That is partly it. I hadn't even realised I had gone into Gransnet a different way. I also had the list of forums all in boxes with name of last poster!