Gransnet forums

Sport

Wimbledon...

(117 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 26-Jun-15 15:14:40

...starts on Monday. Who's going to be watching?! Winners predictions?

Charleygirl Fri 26-Jun-15 15:23:05

I will not be glued all of the time- I will pick and choose my matches. Luckily the forecast for the start of next week in London is superb- T up to 30C.

gammon Fri 26-Jun-15 15:37:41

Hello, my first time on this forum. I'm a keen Wimbledon watcher too (if only for a ticket!). One little thing that irks me though. I still get quite annoyed by how much press the men's games get compared to the women's. It's improved hugely over the years of course but even now in the build up there are loads of articles about the new male players etc but very little about the women. It is changing which is good. Maybe I'm just not patient enough!

HildaW Fri 26-Jun-15 15:49:18

Never really have an overall favourite....just enjoy the whole thing!

That being said I really enjoyed watching the French girl Bartolli win the other year. I sort of pick someone who I feel 'deserves' to do well sometimes from match to match.

whenim64 Fri 26-Jun-15 15:52:16

I'll be watching - glued to the TV most afternoons. The signs are good for Andy Murray to win this year, but I'm happy to see the usual top 5 in the final - they're all so great to watch. I love Federer and Nadal.

Serena and Venus Williams are stunning players, but I believe they might play each other in an earlier round. Petra Kvitova has a good chance for the finals - not sure I want to listen to Maria Sharapova grunting throughout a finals match. Sabine Lisicki, maybe? Whatever, I'll be watching.

NanKate Fri 26-Jun-15 15:54:14

A warm welcome Gammon to the Tennis Lovers thread.

It will be what my DH calls the start of 'Salad fortnight' on Monday. I spend as much time in front of the TV as I can and as little in the kitchen. smile

I would love my favourite player Rafa Nadal to win but sadly he is having a bit of a tricky time at present, whether he can get back on form I am not sure.

Who are your rooting for ?

Lona Fri 26-Jun-15 16:22:20

when re MariaSharapova, I wouldn't call it grunting, its almost a full on shriek! I really wish that the powers that be would penalise offenders!

whenim64 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:44:46

Yes, you're right, Lona. It's an unnatural sound to have to have to for hours on end!

whenim64 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:45:39

.....have to listen to....l iPad has gremlins!

Tegan Fri 26-Jun-15 16:58:16

Did Lisicki play in the French Open? I didn't see her [but then I missed a lot of it]. I like her.I really enjoyed some of the womens tennis there. I can't stand Sharapovas shreiks, although I gave her a lot of credit for not blaming her loss on feeling ill. Great a player as Serena is, I struggle with these illneses she seems to get that also affect her opponents concentration.

ninathenana Fri 26-Jun-15 17:05:19

Can't wait for it to be over.

gammon Fri 26-Jun-15 17:32:28

Thanks for the welcome! Salad fortnight? Shouldn't it be strawberries! smile
I do turn the sound down when Sharapova shrieks plays.
I like both Williams sisters. And I fancy Laura Robson might give us some good games. Can't wait! Be good to have others online to chat to at the same time. Our own running commentary...

Charleygirl Fri 26-Jun-15 17:45:59

Welcome gammon- I feel that Venus and Serena have had their day, I have never enjoyed watching them play. I agree, Serena's illnesses seem to take over and affect the opposing player.

I turn down the sound or switch off when Maria Sharipova is on. It is unnecessary and the shrieks should be penalised.

I would love Andy to win again this year and I hope that Laura gets a few matches under her belt.

At least I only have to cater for myself but I doubt if I will be doing much cooking or spending time in the kitchen. I will be doing on line shopping or shopping in the morning.

whenim64 Fri 26-Jun-15 18:16:56

gammon there's usually one or two Gransnetters putting realtime comments as Wimbledon gets more exciting.

ginny Fri 26-Jun-15 18:32:11

ninathenana I'm with you. I will be avoiding it totally.

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-15 18:57:07

Me too! Haven't really been interested since the times of Nastase and Goolagong -ee them were the days!

Tegan Fri 26-Jun-15 21:07:35

I'll be having it on most of most days when I'm in [which is most days!].

Tegan Fri 26-Jun-15 21:08:19

I think Andys in the form of his life; win or lose he's good to watch.

Pittcity Fri 26-Jun-15 21:58:17

Colchester council are putting up a big screen in the park and adding Pimms to the cafe menu so that we can pretend that we are on Henman Hill.
Gransnetters hope to meet here on Wednesday 8th July.
Personally I will be glued!

Tegan Fri 26-Jun-15 22:44:31

There's a thought; I wonder if they'll have it on the big sceen in town?

Lona Sat 27-Jun-15 08:29:43

What a good idea Pittcity especially as the weather is supposed to be hot this week! Hope you enjoy it sunshine

NanKate Sat 27-Jun-15 09:51:35

Off to the Finals Day at Stoke Park today (my gift to my DH for his 70th ). We are seeing Verdasco and Sock, plus others such as Goran I* can't spell his name.

I am wearing my best frock and jacket, but also sadly my Hotter sandals which look far from stylish, because I have grotty feet. grin

Anne58 Sat 27-Jun-15 11:43:44

I will probably watch some of it, but agree with others re the noise from some of the female players. One last year was not so much a "grunt" as someone going "Wheeeeeee" for what seemed an inordinately long time after she had hit the ball.

I don't remember Virginia Wade, Billy Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova et al making such noises, and they seemed to do ok!

Anniebach Sat 27-Jun-15 12:19:51

I will watch all day every day, my Wimbledon mug is ready , Wimbledon towels will be in the bathroom, yes it know it's sad . I have only ever failed to watch one men's final and that was 1970 when Newcombe played Rosewell, I had a thing for Newcombe but so wanted Rosewell to have a Wimbledon win before retirement loomed, so I took my baby for a walk and watched the highlights in the evening

Think Djokovic will win but so want Andy to . His potential matches are Tsonga, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic , gulp

Tegan Sat 27-Jun-15 12:54:14

Hope Djokovic doesn't try his mind games with Andy at Wimbledon; the crowd will crucify him for it.