Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What is up with M & S?

(337 Posts)
susiecb Sat 06-Aug-11 09:47:39

I despair! I have carried on with M & S through thick and thin, loved it when per Una and Autograph Weekend came to town but recently forays have left me purchasless. Have their designers and buyers all got terminal depression? The colours are dire, the styles difficult to wear and repetitious - how many Per Una funny buttoned cardigans can they turn out and where have the nice skirts gone? In one of their larger stores this week just outside Leicester I tried to buy nice linen trousers and tops for a holiday. The linen trousers were very cheap admittedly but my dish cloth has more style and wearability- as for tops if I was taking up a job in an undertakers they might just suit. As for lingerie the choices were lurid spotty things with those aweful Brazilian shorts instead of knickers or those sponge cup things you could bake a Yorkshire in. If you dont wear pyjamas but nighties like I do (pj's ride up in the night) then its a nice floral wyncyette type; and what has happened to the Knitwear - can noboldy finish a sleeve - does everything chunky have to end half way up my bicep and forget the cashmere - too pricey and difficult to wash. M & S used to be famous for its knitwear - what happened? End of rant. Is it me?

Deedaa Wed 19-Dec-12 23:44:47

Suddenly I love M&S again! I've just discovered that they are selling Fragonard perfumes. I've loved the original Fragonard scent since we did a tour of the factory in Grasse and to be able to buy it in my local M&S is great. Now, if they could just do something about the clothes..............

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 07:18:07

Yes I recently bought some lovely stylish leggings in Zara. They have an elasticated top that smooths out bulgy middle and pretend zips. M and S have a very sad unstylish version. No zips, less elastic. hmm
(I noticed the other day when picking up slippers for MIL. I rest my case.)

Deedaa Thu 20-Dec-12 17:21:24

Isn't stylish leggings an oxymoron, or is that just me? smile

Ariadne Thu 20-Dec-12 17:22:39

deedaa grin

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 17:38:56

Depends on what you put inside them deeda
And what you put them with
www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-W2012/269187/1117155/LEGGINGS%20WITH%20ZIP%20POCKETS

Deedaa Thu 20-Dec-12 22:55:40

You see that's the trouble JessM with what I've got to put inside them Style wouldn't come into it. Pregnant women would avoid me for fear of marking the child. grin

Deedaa Tue 29-Jan-13 21:50:56

Hope still springing eternal I picked up a rather attractive Per Una top (a miracle in itself these days!). To be on the safe side I tried it on. Just as well because it looked very nice, the colour was right, but the sleeves were cutting off my circulation! When did size 16 women grow Biba type matchstick arms? You'd think that a company that makes most of its money from clothes would be able to get the sizes right!

lilybet Thu 28-Feb-13 17:32:01

Used to go once a year and get new Bras. Those days are gone. They have the same Bra but it no longer fits no matter what size I try. When you tell the assistant they look at you like your on day release from some "care in the community" I even waved the bra I was wearing at them(bet that's why they looked strange) but its the same bra. Oh no Madame it has changed. Well so have I no longer will I visit the dreaded department again

Ariadne Thu 28-Feb-13 17:35:19

lilybet the bras have changed; the material is scratchy and poor quality and the sizes are variable. No more for me, either!

JessM Thu 28-Feb-13 18:19:54

I have a very old bra. It is the most comfy one I ever had. Bought it one Sunday in Texas in 2001. Is this a record?

Hunt Thu 28-Feb-13 23:30:02

No.