Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What is up with M & S?

(337 Posts)
susiecb Sat 06-Aug-11 09:47:39

I despair! I have carried on with M & S through thick and thin, loved it when per Una and Autograph Weekend came to town but recently forays have left me purchasless. Have their designers and buyers all got terminal depression? The colours are dire, the styles difficult to wear and repetitious - how many Per Una funny buttoned cardigans can they turn out and where have the nice skirts gone? In one of their larger stores this week just outside Leicester I tried to buy nice linen trousers and tops for a holiday. The linen trousers were very cheap admittedly but my dish cloth has more style and wearability- as for tops if I was taking up a job in an undertakers they might just suit. As for lingerie the choices were lurid spotty things with those aweful Brazilian shorts instead of knickers or those sponge cup things you could bake a Yorkshire in. If you dont wear pyjamas but nighties like I do (pj's ride up in the night) then its a nice floral wyncyette type; and what has happened to the Knitwear - can noboldy finish a sleeve - does everything chunky have to end half way up my bicep and forget the cashmere - too pricey and difficult to wash. M & S used to be famous for its knitwear - what happened? End of rant. Is it me?

Oldgreymare Sun 07-Aug-11 15:07:46

All so true.....I'm not particularly tall ( never quite made 5'4") but trousers are a nightmare, far too short in the crutch ( can I mention that word, oh dear, just did!), colour combinations are strange, even to one who lived thro the flower power era! and Per Una designers seem to have completely lost the plot...... why must they add cheap plastic belts or dangly jewelry to everthing?
I do, however, thank them for the quality and variety of food and wine in their food halls especially if, like Grumpyoldwoman, I have popped in later in the day and discovered a bargain!
Our 'M&S Food' ( a joke as they sell much more than food but suspect that name was designed to confuse the local planning authority!) has stopped selling Welshcakes..... shame! However looking for ginger parkin in Bettys in York recently, I was told it was only sold in the Autumn and Winter!!!

silversurfergran Sun 07-Aug-11 16:50:41

I have been buying their "control" bras for years but the last lot had a band of elastic all round the bottom instead of proper bra material. It just rolled over as soon as you put it on and showed about as much control as a paper bag.
Have given up on them totally, although I must say the packs of white cotton briefs do seem to last for ever, even if they're not white anymore . my daughter always used to buy my size in them when she was 6 months pregnant! I was mortified the first time but after her second son was born I had accepted my middle aged spread.
I also couldn't bear the stuff that came with a camie/cardie/necklace all together in weird colours and horrid acrilyc-y fabrics for summer wear. We have all gone black grey and purple again so I guess winter is coming.

susiecb Sun 07-Aug-11 17:09:07

I buy the Classic range for my 97 year old mother in law and she loves it - but then she hasnt been shopping for the last ten years.

I find the bras are not the quality they used to be so am now looking for another brand.

I quite like Joules for tops and trousers but the designs are a bit horsey. My daughter tells me Cath Kidson is doing clothing now including nighties and pyjamas so will have a look at that. Oh message coming in from daughter The White Company has lovely nighties and dressing gowns apparently.

JessM Sun 07-Aug-11 17:18:27

An I did buy a nightie from BH that met my approval. The rest suffered from the same time warp though..

HildaW Sun 07-Aug-11 17:37:23

Oh yes jangly, freshly made welshcakes are yummy, had some lovely ones still warm from the Farmers market at Craven Arms last month!

JessM Sun 07-Aug-11 18:36:55

Oh great. I don't get the kind in packets though.

helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 18:40:27

What exactly is a welshcake?

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:43:39

Well. Its flat and round. Its made of sugar, fat and white flour. Cooked, I think, on a griddle. Then sprinkled with more sugar.

Absolutely delish! grin

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:45:35

And we went to a Welsh fete yesterday. Bought a lemon cake, an orange cake, a victoria sponge and some butterfly cakes.

The Welsh ladies can really bake a cake!

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:46:35

You could say they were Welsh cakes too.

[thoughtful emoticon]

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:47:07

Sorry for the hijack!!! shock

helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 18:48:30

When I saw the headline "what is up with M & S" I thought I had stumbled onto some "rude" website... I was wrong unfortunately

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:49:40

explain that a bit more.

please!!

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:50:26

well, perhaps you'd better not. hmm

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 18:50:53

I'm off to eat some cakes.

helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 18:53:29

What exactly is a welshcake anyone?

gma Sun 07-Aug-11 19:06:12

Can you buy welsh cakes in M & S? Only in Llanfairpwyl.................probably!!!!!
Opps! its wine o'clock wine

JessM Sun 07-Aug-11 21:49:31

Jangly explains above. Its a bit like rock cake mix only rolled out, cut into rounds and cooked on a griddle. Best eaten warm.

yogagran Sun 07-Aug-11 22:03:55

Lovely -can I have a welsh cake please. Do they sell them in M&S - what size?

elizabethjoan Sun 07-Aug-11 23:00:28

The only department that seems to work is the Blue Horizon dept for the 63 yr old husband who I try to keep up to date ish. Yes he is a bit conservative, but the shirts are fine and the variety in waist and leg length for trousers is v good. Sadly, for me, I do a mental slump as I enter the doors, but go in, just in case there is an unmissable. Trouble is, the cut is rubbish. Everything is cut in rectangular lines. The Roma jeans aren't bad though, but the last ones I bought were 3 years ago. Since then, Oasis (fab) and Gap.

Oldgreymare Sun 07-Aug-11 23:05:35

M&S welshcakes are delicious warmed up, they taste like the real thing! Ooooh, I could just do with one and a cuppa (almost a midnight feast!)
Yogagran, we're talking about welsh cakes not cup cakes! What size indeed!

jangly Sun 07-Aug-11 23:07:15

The only size we have to worry about is ours after we've eaten them wink

elizabethjoan Sun 07-Aug-11 23:07:29

Got stuck with M and S! Sorrry! Am half welsh and need welsh cake recipe. My Granny used to make them. I thought they had raisins in them too?
Went to Wales twice, and for the first, and second, times ever, felt truly at home. I looked like the people, and I felt my weirdness not so weird! I was in the right place....a new feeling, and a good one. Need to return, and feel the roots.

JessM Mon 08-Aug-11 14:48:52

Hi elizabethjoan. Try a rock cake recipe.

Baggy Mon 08-Aug-11 14:56:07

It's a sweet scone, with raisins, cooked on a griddle, and dusted with caster sugar. Flour, fat, sugar, raisins. Roll, cut, cook, dust.
smile

Eat