Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Women who wear the trousers?

(109 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Mar-13 22:03:08

I am beginning to wonder if skirts are on the way out except for formal occasions - weddings, dinner dances etc. Looking around I would say that most women of whatever age wear trousers - formal trousers, jeans, tweedy trousers, leggings/jeggings - but trousers
I have about 6 winter skirts I believe (got rid of a load last Autumn to the charity shop) but I have not worn even one of them for at least 2 winters.
Do you still wear skirts? If so, why and when? Or are we moving towards a fundamental change in womenswear?

Ariadne Tue 05-Mar-13 22:10:53

I don't own a skirt, and only have a couple of day dresses - long floaty ones - for hot weather. I do have a collection of evening dresses, and even (still) a couple of ball gowns, but for most black tie functions I wear evening trousers, tops and jackets.

I cannot think how many pairs of black trousers I own, in different fabrics and styles! I feel comfortable and, when necessary, stylish.

Greatnan Tue 05-Mar-13 22:12:41

I haven't worn a skirt for years. I don't wear shorts either, not just because I haven't got the thighs for them (I don't care how I look) but because I would get an ugly red rash on my legs when walking through vegetation. I often tuck my trousers into my long socks when walking in the mountains. It saved me from sand fly bites this week!

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 22:19:44

I very occasionally wear a skirt in the summer and I was forced to buy a long dress for DD3's barbecue reception at her wedding last year. I have countless pairs of black trousers, black jeans, blue jeans and one or two pairs of white/cream trousers in linen. I hate skirt and dresses that mean one has to wear tights and shoes. grin

BAnanas Tue 05-Mar-13 22:27:40

I have skirts, but I don't really like wearing them, in the winter tights are required and I'm forever hitching them up. I prefer jeans or leggings for everyday and calf length shorter trousers for the summer, or linen baggier trousers. For going out I wear smarter more formal trousers, usually black.

Ana Tue 05-Mar-13 22:28:30

Yes, I'm the same. I very rarely wear a skirt, or a dress these days. I think the change began when it became acceptable for women to wear trousers in business - for so many years skirts were compulsory in a lot of workplaces.

merlotgran Tue 05-Mar-13 22:31:20

I live in jeans. I like linen trousers in the summer and have a couple of long floaty dresses. Black suits me and is slimming so I have lots of black in my wardrobe.

I can't remember when I last bought a skirt.

susieb755 Tue 05-Mar-13 22:36:08

I do not own any trousers, and have a couple of pairs of jeans ! I live in skirts and dresses, especially Mistral and White Stuff!

I like feeling feminine, and dresses flatter my shape - I also like the fresh air around my nethers............

Orca Tue 05-Mar-13 22:56:06

I never wear skirts either.

Ana Tue 05-Mar-13 22:57:38

Orca! wink

annodomini Tue 05-Mar-13 23:12:45

I have one decent skirt for day wear if necessary and a black party skirt, bought for £15 in a M&S sale about 7 years ago. I have one or two for summer wear but have loads of trousers, some of which fit me.

vegasmags Tue 05-Mar-13 23:21:45

I like to wear winter skirts with boots, but mostly it's trousers. I like dresses in the heat of summer, and shorts in the privacy of my garden. As far as I'm concerned, comfy is the new chic. I love Kirsty Wark's wardrobe, but I don't have her figure, bank balance or sense of style.

Jadey Tue 05-Mar-13 23:46:24

I still wear skirts, I much prefer them. I feel much better wearing a skirt, I usually wear black tights and a meduim lenght skirt with shoes or boots.

I am a stone overweight and this is another reason I prefer wearing skirts.

harrigran Tue 05-Mar-13 23:58:24

Very rarely wear a skirt, the problem is I hate tights because they always roll down under my tummy. Trousers, socks and boots in the winter and lighter trousers and sandals in the summer.

Ella46 Wed 06-Mar-13 08:04:54

I haven't owned or worn a skirt for years. I slob around the house in blue jeans, and wear black trousers or jeans for going out.
Mind you, I can't wear heels anymore, so trousers look best.

If I had the choice, I'd be posing and pouting a la Victoria B! grin

Mamie Wed 06-Mar-13 08:17:41

I wear skirts all the time in the house and out in summer. I do wear jeans or leggings out in winter, but don't find them very comfortable. My only problem is that Lands End have stopped doing their lovely comfy jersey skirts. I wore them to work for about ten years and at home for another ten, but they are wearing out now and I can't find replacements. Think I shall have to make some.
My Granny on the other hand never wore a skirt apart from weddings and funerals....

JustMe Wed 06-Mar-13 08:24:07

I wore trousers just about all winter but in the summer I never wear trousers at all. I love skirts and dresses when it's warm, but as I hibernate most of the winter that's probably why. I'm just a summer person and make the most of it.

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Mar-13 08:40:06

I very rarely wear a skirt. I have a couple of summery ones. which I hardly wore last year, One "long black" for choir and a nice silk one from Monsoon. I usually wear trousers.

I have a sort of coding system. Decorating trousers, totally disreputable and paint smeared.
Gardening trousers tough denim bought from a charity shop. I garden on hands and knees, they get very muddy and usually end up with a big hole in the right knee.

Then some tidy smart jeans or black trousers I can go out in.
Scruffy, baggy old trousers worn when slobbing about the house, but not to be worn more than 20mtrs from my front door.
The problem with skirts is unless it is quite warm they need tights underneath and tights are horrible to wear.

Trousers are so much easier

tanith Wed 06-Mar-13 08:44:05

Trousers in the Winter but in the Summer its skirts if I'm going out or a light dress. I hate wearing trousers once the weather gets nice and live in shorts for most of the Summer as I am outside as much as possible.
So yes I have skirts maybe 4/5 but they are light cotton material and I wear them if shorts aren't appropriate.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Mar-13 08:51:15

I wear skirts and wore one to the GN lunch last Thursday with black tights and my black suede shoe boots.
The tights-falling-down problem can be solved by investing in Wolford tights. They are expensive but feel fabulous and last forever.

shysal Wed 06-Mar-13 08:56:03

I wear only trousers, cropped in summer or long in winter. I have no skirts and possess one maxi dress which I have never worn, as I was ill on the day of the occasion I bought it for.
I spend my day pottering outside whenever possible, so skirts would be so impractical when bending or stretching - not a pretty sight!
I have a large selection of necklaces which I find make an outfit a bit more feminine when required. I have also bought a few jackets on ebay, most at 99p, to smarten my image (when I can be bothered).

Cagsy Wed 06-Mar-13 09:44:47

Jeans almost permanently, cropped trousers in the summer, not only am I overweight but I now have unsightly blue veins on the backs of my legs (as did my very skinny Mum) so shorts are for foreign holidays only.
I did buy a dress for my 60th birthday party 18 months ago & wore it with black tights & heels, some people were amazed that i had legs & I did look good but spent a fortune at the chirporactors for the next few weeks!

Grannyeggs Wed 06-Mar-13 10:04:48

I do wear skirts and dresses, I wear trousers as well but not much. I am short and plump and I just feel skirts suit me more, and I feel more comfortable in them. But yes,I think there is a fundamental change, I am always in the minority, my daughters very rarely wear skirts.

BAnanas Wed 06-Mar-13 10:13:14

Grannyeggs you didn't look short and plump in Guildford, I thought you looked quite slender!

purplen8 Wed 06-Mar-13 10:14:40

I LOVE skirts - they make me feel good. I'm only 5'2" and can look quite dumpy wearing trousers. In any case I think trousers aren't as cosy and warm as my skirts and lovely thick opaque tights worn with boots in different styles and colours. Jeans in particular don't provide much warmth as denim is a cold fabric so I'm assuming that the women who wear them in winter have leggings or tights on underneath. Skirts give you the opportunity to be dress more individually - who wants to look like everyone else?!