Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Women who wear the trousers?

(110 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Mar-13 22:03:08

I am beginning to wonder if skirts are on the way out except for formal occasions - weddings, dinner dances etc. Looking around I would say that most women of whatever age wear trousers - formal trousers, jeans, tweedy trousers, leggings/jeggings - but trousers
I have about 6 winter skirts I believe (got rid of a load last Autumn to the charity shop) but I have not worn even one of them for at least 2 winters.
Do you still wear skirts? If so, why and when? Or are we moving towards a fundamental change in womenswear?

Galen Thu 18-Apr-13 12:35:25

I'm a skirt and dress person. Never feel right in trousers!

nanaej Thu 18-Apr-13 11:43:32

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Alexon+Wide+leg+trousers/182819923,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google+Adwords-_-Product+Extensions+And+Listings-_-Product+Extensions+And+Listings-_-_Women's+Alexon+Wide+leg+trousers&_$ja=tsid:44970|cid:146504515|cgid:7041935995

nanaej Thu 18-Apr-13 11:43:03

Women's+Alexon+Wide+leg+trousers&$ja=tsid:44970|cid:146504515|cgid:7041935995

These might team up well with a pretty top for a wedding jeannie what do you think??

nanapug Thu 18-Apr-13 11:28:05

I would give anything to be able to wear trousers. I have none. I have large thighs (I am a size 18-20) so trousers look ghastly. I must confess I do walk behind some women when out shopping and think that they too should not be wearing trousers. Even when I got down to a size 16 I couldn't bring myself to wear them sad

gracesmum Thu 18-Apr-13 11:20:00

(Not you Bonica)!!!!!

gracesmum Thu 18-Apr-13 11:19:34

TMI shock

BonicaCook Thu 18-Apr-13 07:50:23

I love skirts,but i rarely wear them,always wear jeans,i feel confortable when dress trousers!

jeanie99 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:55:30

I have one skirt, can't remember when I last wore it.

I live in jeans, if we go out and I need to dress a bit smarter I have black trousers which I wear with a smart top.

I have a problem have a wedding coming up what to wear that's the problem.

Nonu Wed 27-Mar-13 18:19:15

When I love wearing delicate frillys, why not ?

No granny knicks for me .

Red if at all possible !moon

Enviousamerican Wed 27-Mar-13 18:13:50

Yes,wheniwasyourage,I find it sounds derogatory,and I grew up hearing it!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 27-Mar-13 17:54:54

Going back a few posts to envious's mention of the American word for trousers, I wouldn't use it myself for trousers, just for knickers, but the one I can't stand is "panties" for knickers. It sounds so patronising, as if adult women have to wear something delicate and frilly next to the skin. (If you have as much skin as I do, you can't be doing with anything which can be described by a diminutive to cover it properly. hmm)

MargaretX Fri 22-Mar-13 09:09:59

I wear jeans and linen cropped trousers in summer. At home I wear a skirt on very hot days, mostly ones I made myself years ago.
I also have very warm woollen trousers for when it's icy cold. We play Bridge in a pub and the landlord saves on heating, and we all have things in our wardrobe for sitting in the cold for 3 hours. I even wear long johns and vests for Bridge afternoons.
I get the feeling that in Germany skirts are coming back into fashion. Short skirts in vibrant colours so I'll be passing on that one.

janeainsworth Fri 22-Mar-13 08:58:25

Whenwasyourage I'm a Rohan fan too, but I always wear skirts on trains and planes - find them much more comfy!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 16:14:45

Have you noticed that most women seem to travel in trousers now, or is it just those who travel by train? I love Rohan bags for travelling (not that we do the mountaineering expeditions or tropical exploration that seems to be what the Rohan catalogue expects you to do) because of the pockets. I never carry a handbag anyway, but a secure, zipped pocket is ideal for purse and passport. (That's purse in our sense, envious, not yours - the pockets aren't that big!)

glassortwo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:50:51

reported

adamsmith3450 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:39:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

janeainsworth Sun 17-Mar-13 11:00:15

envious grin
My American DiL used the p-word on Facebook the other day and I was tempted to ask her whether she was referring to her trousers or her knickers.
I refrained in the end, fearing that she might not be amused smile

Enviousamerican Sat 16-Mar-13 23:31:40

I hope I don't slip up and say the american word for trousers!

MaryXYX Sat 16-Mar-13 18:59:59

My winter skirts are mid calf to ankle length, and they come from charity shops. I do have to be very careful about the "age appropriate" aspect, but I would like to wear somewhat shorter skirts.

As the charity shops seem to be stocked and patronised by Grannies - of the variety I am struggling not to be - does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried Primark but they seem to be aiming at my daughters rather than me.

Madrigal Sat 16-Mar-13 13:05:53

I mostly wear skirts, and quite short ones too, with leggings or opaques. I find skirts are much warmer in the winter, and they look nice with boots or penny loafers.

I might wear jeans when I food shop, work in the garden or slip out for a coffee. For preference, I hang around the house in leggings. I love leggings and they will never go out of style for me. smile

MercedesYang Sat 16-Mar-13 03:17:52

I wear skirts occasionally,perhaps in summer, cause the season here is too hot, we can not stop swearing, it might be cooler to wear a skirt... Well, in other seasons I prefer to trousers very much, it is convenient to wear them walking, jumping or running on the street. wink

BoomerBabe Fri 15-Mar-13 13:08:23

Love my jeans, don't wear skirts. Dumpy purplen8? Who told you that? I'm 5'!!

Treebee Fri 15-Mar-13 11:18:12

I like to wear skirts sometimes, especially in summer when I like to get my legs out.
I do need pockets in skirts though, for tissues, keys etc and sometimes despair of finding them in the shops. If they do have pockets they are often too short.

annodomini Wed 13-Mar-13 10:25:26

I appreciate semi-elasticated waistbands because my waist is a larger size than my hips (16/14). I like the range of sizes in the Cotton Traders catalogue. They have precise leg lengths, unlike M&S whose medium size has changed over the last few years.

ClairBear Wed 13-Mar-13 09:56:05

Oh, my baby fat made my in-confident to wear a skirt... Well, anyway trousers are my favorite, it is so convenient to wear them instead of various skirts. wink