Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

expensive face creams

(35 Posts)
granin Mon 21-Jul-14 17:40:47

i was recently bought a L'oreal anti-ageing cream as a present by my daughter and, like the rest of them, it never makes a blind bit of difference grin I'm sticking to ponds - my mother always did and she had beautiful skin to the day she died. she used vaseline for absolutely everything as well. I may just take her advice and save myself a few pennies...

KatyK Mon 21-Jul-14 18:35:27

My sister who is 68 has always used vaseline to take off her eye make up. She hasn't got a single line under her eyes. I have taken to using Aldi's face cream. It's perfectly fine.

suzied Mon 21-Jul-14 19:35:57

Aldis serum is great. I had an experience at Libertys where I signed up for a "free" makeover by one of those posh skincare brands. They tried to sell me the moisturiser ......£225! The cheapest thing was over £100. Whoever buys that sort of stuff?

Silverfish Mon 21-Jul-14 19:57:35

can you get 'Ponds' still and where. Ive looked inBoots etc but never seen it.

goldengirl Mon 21-Jul-14 19:59:22

I like Clarins stuff for birthdays and Christmas but have just tried Boots Sanctuary which feels lovely. I vacillate between Boots cold cream and Clarins really. My mum also used Ponds. The jars seem very small these days - or is it just me?

Deedaa Mon 21-Jul-14 21:20:34

I'm very happy with Aldi's serum suzied I used to use Estee Lauder before I retired, but couldn't justify the expense now.

Back in the 60's I tried a very posh face cream. I can't remember the make but it was supposed to be what the Queen used. It's the only time I've had a really violent reaction to any thing I've put on my face and I went back to the cheap stuff!

grandma60 Mon 21-Jul-14 21:45:21

I love Clarins but I really can't justify the expense lately. Its probably no better than the cheaper brands but it feels and smells wonderful. I usually look in.the January sales for half-price christmas gift sets. Mind you the Beauty Flash Balm is the best thing ever. Sanctuary is nice too and at least you can get 3 for 2 and 1/3 off offers.

JessM Mon 21-Jul-14 22:01:47

Flannel. No soap. Tinted moisturiser with 30 spf. Best beauty treatments are: don't smoke, don't get too much sun on your face, sleep, drink plenty in the morning to plump up the wrinkles.

Coolgran65 Tue 22-Jul-14 04:11:33

I get clarin's beauty flash balm off internet eBay for less than a tenner. Everything else is so cheapo.

NanKate Tue 22-Jul-14 08:17:43

Deedaa the Queen used Cyclax makeup. I am not sure if it is still available, perhaps on the Internet.

suebailey1 Tue 22-Jul-14 08:58:13

I like Liz Earle and wore it for years but don't like the fact that she sold it to Avon which I do not enjoy at all. I love Clarins but the moisturisers are expensive but very good (the Queen uses this). I am on Boots Lift and Luminate now - haven't noticed any ifting or laminating I must say. For the summer though Clarins Hydraaquench tinted moisturiser is perfect as I don't like to wear foundation when its hot and need some SPF on the golf course if I m not to end up resembling my golf bag.

granin Tue 22-Jul-14 09:12:40

grandma60 i do love beauty flash balm as well - fortunately, my children are well aware of this so I do sometimes get a bottle for birthday or xmas! my mum also used vaseline to remove makeup *Katyk - obviously they were on to a winner

granin Tue 22-Jul-14 09:13:24

oh dear - not sure what I did there! blush

Charleygirl Tue 22-Jul-14 09:21:21

I use Oil of Olay moisturiser and it is fine for me, not too expensive and I look out for offers.

Nonnie Tue 22-Jul-14 09:47:51

I wouldn't use anything made by L'Oreal, if is half owned by Nestle nuff said.

annodomini Tue 22-Jul-14 11:23:42

OMG, Nonnie, didn't Body Shop sell out to L'Oreal? You have to be so careful with all these multi-national links. I too shun anything to do with Nestlé.

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 11:39:26

I find Lacura products [sold by Aldi] as good as anything.

When seem to make my skin good and soft !

smile

Although will admit Beauty Flash balm, is pretty good , I DO use that also!

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 11:40:37

OOOPS, typo ,NOT when, but THEY

granin Tue 22-Jul-14 11:52:25

sounds like i'll have to find my local aldi

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 12:08:39

Granin and whilst you are there have a good look at the astonishing bargains in fruit, veg and the many other products they sell !!
smile

gkal Tue 22-Jul-14 13:10:45

I've been using Lidl Q10 day cream and night cream for several months on face and neck - very cheap and effective. I'm almost 68 and really pleased to have found an affordable face cream that makes my skin soft and relatively wrinkle-free. I hate being ripped off!

coastwallker Tue 22-Jul-14 16:33:16

I don't wear make up, just tinted moisturiser.
Face wash with a rough flannel once a week then cover the face with Sudocrem. Done on a day when we are not going out as I am inclined to forget I have done it and go out with white smudges.
That's my beauty routine. smile

yorke Tue 22-Jul-14 16:58:21

Superdrug own make is good and do not test on anmals. A bonus for me.

Marty Wed 23-Jul-14 09:04:25

Why do you shun Nestle. Is it because they bought milk from Mrs Mugabe?

annodomini Wed 23-Jul-14 09:46:31

Here is the reason for boycotting Nestlé, Marty. It's been ongoing for a very long time, but they still continue with aggressive marketing of baby formula to communities that can't afford it and which don't have access to clean water to make up the formula. This discourages mothers from the safe and hygienic practice of breast feeding. Even in 1970, when I was pregnant in East Africa, I received pamphlets promoting their baby milk - one showed a chubby, contented, white baby; the other a chubby, contented, black baby. Many babies died unnecessarily from water-borne diseases.