Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Yearly clothes budget

(95 Posts)
petallus Thu 21-Aug-14 19:11:52

This year I have kept a note of everything I've spent on clothes (including a handbag).

To date I have spent about £450, which is less than I would have expected if I hadn't been counting.

I don't know whether I am being thrifty or spending more than average.

janerowena Thu 21-Aug-14 19:18:37

I think my budget is a theoretical one.

In fact, I can't think of the right word to describe it at the moment. Imaginary selfdelusory creativelyaccounted hmm

chloe1984 Thu 21-Aug-14 19:26:12

I think I may well start to keep a record of how much I spend on clothes as it would be interesting and informative. Whilst I am happy to share on here I will not be disclosing the amount to my DH.

Nonnie Thu 21-Aug-14 19:28:04

What's a budget?[Grin]

FlicketyB Thu 21-Aug-14 20:52:41

How much I spend on clothes varies immensely from year to year. This year, apart from a few summer tops I haven't bought any clothes, but I may buy more in the autumn because I have lost 21 lbs and I think, when I get them down, that all my winter trousers will be far to big and loose on me and will need replacing, as my summer trousers have gradually become looser and baggier as the summer has progressed and they will need replacing next year.

Some years, when I have had to buy winter coats or needed lots of shoes or walking gear, I may have spent considerably more than £450.

Stansgran Thu 21-Aug-14 21:11:13

I have clothes older than oldest DGD(10) in current use. I wear out wool sweaters and shoes but summer stuff is ancient. Very little summer to wear it in. My budget is elastic like my waist bands

GrannyTwice Thu 21-Aug-14 21:13:00

I have spent £750 so far this year - I work on the tax year ie since April. I have budgeted £1500 for the whole year. Thus includes DH but he spends very little - only a dressing gown and socks so far!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 21:17:38

Including shoes?

GrannyTwice Thu 21-Aug-14 21:27:19

Yes , shoes included. In fact, that's pushed it up a bit as I discovered Hotter shoes this year and bought 4 pairs shock - also includes one handbag - I do keep very detailed accounts blush

whitewave Thu 21-Aug-14 21:31:15

granny2 I spend much about the same. I have an accounts package on my computer and keep detailed notes of everything I spend which seems a bit OCD but really I feel in total control of my budget. I also will not buy anything if possible (except food and bits of other stuff) that is full price.

FlicketyB Thu 21-Aug-14 21:32:53

I leave DH to sort his own clothes out. I think the main reason I keep my spending low is because I hate having lots of clothes. All the clothes I possess can be fitted into a standard wardrobe and chest of drawers. Twice a year I assess my summer/winter wardrobe, what is still wearable and what has had its day and needs to be chucked or given to a charity then decided what I want to get to fill the gaps and go out and look for what I want.

I rarely buy clothes on impulse, because I rarely go near a shop unless I need something. I find shopping, any shopping, really, really boring.

I went to John Lewis on Saturday to buy a new vacuum cleaner and look at cookers. I thought, as I walked into the shop that I might have a look at clothes while I was there, but by the time I had spent half an hour looking at cleaners and cookers I had had enough shopping for one day, my mind was glazing over and I couldn't be bother to look at the clothes.

GrannyTwice Thu 21-Aug-14 21:41:16

Whitewave- I could wax lyrical about my spreadsheet- I am much mocked by friends and family but I love it!!

Grannyknot Thu 21-Aug-14 21:47:46

flickety 21 lbs - impressive flowers

My husband outspends me on clothes hands down. He's a real dandy given half a chance. Sees a golf outfit on one of the players he admires, and he's down the pro shop before the week is out.

FlicketyB Thu 21-Aug-14 21:55:18

I too am a keeper of accounts and lists, hence the way I organise my clothing, by seasons and complete outfits with regular reviews and shopping lists. I do not however have a separate clothing expenditure spreadsheet, that is subsumed into the personal expenditure column of one of the several spreadsheets I use to run the family finances.

I could tell you, but do not intend to, how much in total I have spent on all aspects of personal discretionary spending, including clothes, for each of the past 20 years. Like you Grannytwice, friends and family who know I have all these spread sheets think it hilarious, but generally I do not tell them, to avoid their mirth.

petra Thu 21-Aug-14 22:02:47

Am I alone. I don't know how much I spend on anything. I just don't think about it. Money comes in, money goes out.

FlicketyB Thu 21-Aug-14 22:10:28

That would terrify me. I would feel completely out of control as if I was spinning in a vortex.

GrannyTwice Thu 21-Aug-14 22:16:50

Oohhhh Petra - shock

Ana Thu 21-Aug-14 22:41:43

I don't keep track of how much I spend on clothes either, petra. It's not that much - I tend to buy in sales unless it's something I really need and/or want!

Lona Thu 21-Aug-14 22:43:28

Me too petra, sometimes (not so often now) I go mad and buy expensive stuff, and sometimes I buy from 'cheap and cheerful' shops.
I must confess that I have loads of clothes, and shoes, but not bags.
I've got a separate wardrobe full of coats, macs and jackets. blush

NannaAnna Thu 21-Aug-14 22:57:58

£25 so far this year. Most of what I currently wear is 5 - 8 years old and perfectly okay.

Charleygirl Thu 21-Aug-14 23:04:10

I spent £37 on clothes yesterday- that may well be for the entire year! 3 pairs of sports trousers and 5 pairs of knickers from M&S. I do not recognise or understand the words account or budget.

ninathenana Thu 21-Aug-14 23:35:40

Haven't got a clue grin I'd be surprised if it's more than £200.

absent Fri 22-Aug-14 03:12:50

I've no idea either but I doubt if it's much. I have taken some stuff to a charity shop but the wardrobe is still bulging.

Mishap Fri 22-Aug-14 06:08:04

Not a lot - and I certainly don't keep a record. I have lost interest in clothes - I have plenty to keep me going. I have my own style and do not try and keep up with fashion. All I have bought this year is a pair of comfortable shoes in a sale and a top that I needed for a concert. That's me kitted out!

kittylester Fri 22-Aug-14 07:00:32

I spend more in years when we have lots of events but I can't go through m&s with out buying black or white t shirts (or two if they are on offer!). I have also discovered Moshulu shoes, but only buy in the sales - but often a couple of pairs! blush