Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

clothes

(89 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 10:25:17

I was reading the discussion about tidying up clothes and wardrobes and I replied that I had only a few things to wear, black trousers for work, jeans and t shirts and jumpers for the winter and I realised that you all seem to have so many more clothes than me. I thought I was the same as everyone else, just going to the wardrobe and grabbing something to wear. I always just had one pair of shoes and maybe boots for the winter.
I watched sex and the city and of course they have lots of lovely clothes but they are rich and its fiction.
My DD is the same as me if she needs to go out she goes to asda and buys something which she can wear for work.

My question is: Do some people actually have clothes to 'go out in' which they never wear unless a special occasion, also as we've just emerged from recession can anyone afford to buy clothes to be worn occasionally?
Is it just me, I thought only the really rich could have more than one or two pairs of shoes?

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 11:17:22

ethel I'm prepared to put my head above the parapet and say that I do have clothes just to go out in and I do have lots of pairs of shoes. I have clothes just for the gym and Pilates, I have daytime ordinary clothes and I have daytime special clothes as well as clothes I only wear for special evenings out. I like clothes so choose to spend on them rather than some other things. I'm not wealthy but neither am I poor.

etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 11:27:13

I always thought that as you can only wear one pair at a time then you only need one pair, if I ever had two pairs of shoes I would count myself as lucky.
What do you do with clothes for 'special evenings out' when you are not wearing them do they not go out of fashion.

Can you not wear the same things for different situations, I washed my jeans after gardening to wear for a pub lunch the other day and I do polish my shoes if Im going to some ones house.

Im just not interested in clothes that much.

KatyK Mon 15-Sep-14 11:27:59

I've got quite a lot of clothes too. Nothing expensive. I am a Dorothy Perkins/M & S/Debenhams/New Look type of gal. I have quite a lot of shoes and boots in different styles and colours (once again cheap and cheerful). I have one pair of Levi jeans which were a bit pricey but I have worn them for years and they are still in good nick. I am, as Nonnie, neither wealthy nor poor but I would NEVER buy expensive clothes. I think it stems from my poor upbringing and also the fact that I go off things and hate wasting money.

etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 11:31:07

Why would you have more than say a couple of pairs of boots. I can understand the jeans as a good pair do last for ages. I just wear the same boots , although I do have 2 pair for work as they get wet and need to dry out so I wear alternate days.

I just like flip flops for summer and boots winter. no probs.

Is there anyone like me who doesn't like clothes, I thought I was normal.

glammanana Mon 15-Sep-14 11:32:16

ethel I too will pop my head above the parapet and say I too have clothes for everyday mainly jeans & tops and clothes for special days out with friends where I can bling up a wee bit with nice chunky jewellery & any one pair of my many shoes which I love.
For special evenings out I have an assortment of really nice clothes all kept under wraps and always buy classic styles so they never date,so really they are a good investment,I am not wealthy by any means but feel I have worked hard all my life and deserve to have some of the pleasures that I enjoy,I will however trawl the internet for good buys and search out sale items such as a suit I got from Box2 last month for less than 1/2 price and will serve me well for years to come.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 11:36:49

ethel I'm sure you are 'normal' but so too are those of us who have lots of clothes!

The more clothes you have the more shoes you need to go with them. Some clothes look better with high heals, some with low, some with high boots and some with ankle boots etc. Then of course there are the handbags.................

etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 11:40:49

Hanbags are just a pest. I put mobile in my left pocket and purse/keys in my right pocket. I have a little bag that I use if my hands are full and another that was a birthday gift, ive never used it and a big one I use for transporting my stuff if I do a therapy. I normally use a bag till it breaks then look for another one. A black one goes with everything.
I sometimes put my stuff in an Asda carrier with the same result.

Elegran Mon 15-Sep-14 12:31:21

Some people do seem to have a lot of clothes. i suppose it all depends on where you go, and how much you have spare to spend. There is nothing wrong with buying clothes if that is what you like and you don't rob a bank to fund your spending.

I have three pairs of stretch trousers (for looking reasonably good in) I wear them when I go out (that is, when I leave the house) and when I expect anyone to come to the house. If I am not going anywhere I wear one of my old pairs, saggy and stretchy and fine for gardening, housework, and so on.

I have half-a-dozen or so tops and T-shirts, plus some really decrepit ones for things painting the front door. I always get as much paint on myself as what I am painting. I have three shirts that go over the T-shirts. I have had them some time and most of them show it.

I have two (maybe three if you count one of the shirts) tops for meeting people or eating out. One is new, the others I have had for about two years. as they get weary, they will replace the other everyday ones. I don't go for what is in fashion, so I don't have that worry.

My feet are a difficult shape, so new shoes are quite expensive, but at least I have found a make which fits me, looks good, and don't take a mortgage. I have a black pair that are very comfortable and are on every day, and a brown pair that are exactly the same make and fitting but are not yet comfortable. I have pre-ordered another, black pair, which will be delivered in a month or so. I have winter boots for the snow (two pairs, high ones and ankle boots) the same make and fitting. In the house I don't wear slippers (have never found a pair to fit) but I have some very cheap canvas shoes from Tesco which will be Ok until they disintegrate (soon)

I buy most of my clothes in M & S, but splash out a little occasionally.

rubysong Mon 15-Sep-14 13:33:44

I do have a 'best' dress. It is by David Nieper and fits me beautifully and suits even the smartest occasion. On their website it is marked at £135.00 and I got mine for £4.99 from a charity shop! (I love charity shops.)

absentgrandma Mon 15-Sep-14 13:58:51

I must confess to being a clothes-aholic. I have always loved treating myself to something new, from my very first wage packet to now, on a very small pension.
When I lived in the UK my hunting ground was charity shops, and now with the internet I can browse sites like Ebay and find some great items that are too good to resist.
I tend to wear smart trousers, jeans or cut-offs (due to my pear-shape) with lots of different tops from T shirts through to sequinny sweaters for evenings out.I do have skirts but they're long... floaty for the summer, wool for the winter. I love the 'lagenlook'... a layered effect which is great as I can mix and match, and the layers hide a multitude of sins like big hips and a far-from flat tummy.
I do often tell myself I really don't need any more clothes, but then I will see something that's too much of a bargain to resist, so when I pick up a sweater for a tenner that was originally on sale in M&S or Next for £40 I feel greatgrin particularly if it's still got the original label on it.
In mitigation I will say I usually only have 2 'current' handbags... a sensible over-the shoulder for autumn and winter, and something a bit 'prettier' for summer days. The same with shoes... like many of us who have been on our feet for far too many years I stick to the four or five pairs that are comfortable. I finally acknowledged my feet were beyond fashion last year and took fourteen pairs I hadn't been able to wear for years to the clothes bank in the village..... unknown to the OH .... I would never have heard the end of it. My DDs used to call me Imelda Marcos. Oh how the mighty are fallen!!

ninathenana Mon 15-Sep-14 14:16:48

If I could buy clothes in places like New Look or supermarkets then I'd probably have a lot more. Unfortunately I'm not the right shape grin

I rarely wear trousers (short legs!) but I have summer skirts, winter skirts and more tops than draw space. I have 'house' clothes, day clothes, and 'best' clothes. Shoes and sandals total 9 pairs plus a pair of ankle boots. Jackets and coats total 5.
DH has similar amounts. No skirts though grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 15-Sep-14 14:22:36

glamma I'd never heard of Box2, but their stuff looks lovely. Do you think their sizes come up about the same as, say, Marks and Sparks?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 15-Sep-14 14:28:30

OH and some of that David Neiper stuff looks good too! I'd better get off of this 'puter.... hmm

absentgrandma Mon 15-Sep-14 14:44:33

Aaargh.... just checked out Box2 too. Fab stuff and I'd never heard of them either. Oh dear I sense another time-wasting afternoon coming on. And I really intended to do some serious writing.... I need to sell some articles now I've found that site!

Lona Mon 15-Sep-14 14:52:45

I'm just not going to answer this OP on the grounds that I will incriminate myself! wink

suebailey1 Mon 15-Sep-14 14:55:45

lona I'm with you grin

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 15:20:31

Got all excited and went to look at Box2 but I am a little person! Very disappointed sad. Thought I would find something nice and different. Boo

ninathenana Mon 15-Sep-14 15:28:17

Just had a peak at Box2
.£62 for a vest top, I think not !!

vegasmags Mon 15-Sep-14 15:42:54

Like a lot of people, I don't care what I wear around the house and garden, but I like to make a bit of an effort when going out. I tend to go for classic stuff for the basics, such as trousers, then add bits and pieces to look a little more stylish. The last time I really dressed up was for a wedding and the dress and jacket combo I bought for that hasn't been worn since. I find that people don't dress up in the way that they used to, and it's rare even in quite swanky places to see a man with a tie. I am eternally searching for that Holy Grail Smart Casual.

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Sep-14 15:59:17

Another clothesaholic and hoarder here, I'm afraid. Again not rich, but neither am I poor, though having just retired, I may be revising that statement shortly, once I get my head around what I will actually have left to spend, if anything, at the end of the month!

I buy nearly all my stuff in the sales, which annoys my stylish DD1 no end, and she has got a point - I should buy fewer things that I really like rather than zooming in on the sales racks and getting something I will never wear just because it's a bargain.

I'm going to purge my wardrobe once I've settled down to retirement, or so I tell myself! smile I have the time to do it now, and loads of work clothes that I really won't have use for any more. No excuses!

annodomini Mon 15-Sep-14 16:11:21

My wardrobe is stuffed with clothes in different sizes, a limited number of which are wearable at the moment. I have told myself sternly that I have enough shoes, though I'd like a new pair of boots. Today I am wearing Hotter trainer-style shoes, Craghoppers cargo trousers and ditto red lightweight hoodie. All bought at sale prices, except the shoes. My lifesavers this summer have been my collection of M&S tee-shirts with elbow-length sleeves, sometimes worn under a white linen or blue chambray/denim shirt.

numberplease Mon 15-Sep-14 16:17:37

I have clothes for wearing around the house, usually former "best" things that are past their best, then I have better things for when I go out. By going out, I mean shopping or visiting, we very rarely go "out" for special nights out, unless it`s a really special occasion. I`m not clothes mad, but I like to buy new things now and again, not over expensive, can`t afford that, but nice things from my favourite store, Bonmarche. I have one pair of boots, hate the things really, several pairs of sandals in various colours, as I wear them all year round. I don`t carry handbags, if I`m going out and need a bag, I use shoulder bags, I have about half a dozen in various colours.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 16:22:14

vegas I do think that men can look smart without a tie but then I've never understood why they ever wore them. What are they for? Why would you put a noose around your neck? Could see the point of them for school so on the way there and back you could be identified as belonging to a certain school.

suzied Mon 15-Sep-14 17:16:39

I love clothes, have them spread over several wardrobes and chest of drawers. My favourite casual shop is Uniqlo which does the most comfortable jeans and leggings, vests and cotton t shirts with long and short sleeves. For smarter clothes I like Cos, Toast, Wrap, Jigsaw for ideas. I am also a dressmaker, so if I see something I like in one of the above I can often make a reasonable copy. I also like good vintage stuff, but I have plenty of my own -old- vintage stuff, I often use 40s or 50s patterns to make updated versions. Theres always something new to try, I made 2 jumpsuits for the summer which are really comfortable and I feel a bit Katherine Hepburn in them. I also have a few designer pieces which look and feel fabulous. At the end of the day, some people like clothes as they enhance your appearance and give you confidence, others aren't interested and see clothes as merely functional.