Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

White Hair + Best Products

(29 Posts)
sprite66 Fri 09-Oct-15 18:13:59

I have had white hair for many years,usually with a few nasty looking strands of yellow after summer. I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on the best anti- yellow products to use?

I use Provoke shampoo which I find quite good, have tried expensive M&S silver shampoo which did nothing to enhance the colour but made my hair dry and frizzy.

Have seen on the web a recipe for peroxide/baking soda and cider vinegar which the poster says will deal with unwanted yellow tints. Dare I risk it?

granjura Fri 09-Oct-15 18:17:07

My hairdresser recommended a l'Oreal shampoo, bright purple, and ti brought my scalp and face in pustules, it was dreadful. So do read the instructions and take great care. The instructions on that shampoo were hidden unde a peel off label!

sprite66 Fri 09-Oct-15 18:21:54

Hi Granjura, I've tried L'oreal in the past and had no problems. Perhaps I've got a tough (leathery) scalp!

Luckygirl Fri 09-Oct-15 18:27:29

My hair is dark brown, but I have always said that if it does go white then I would favour pink!

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 15:21:43

Sprite, you could try doing just one strand with it?

chelseababy Sun 11-Oct-15 16:35:23

I use Touch of Silver which is purple and leave on for five minutes, works for me! Available in Sainsbury £3 so worth trying.

Grannyknot Mon 12-Oct-15 07:46:29

Hi sprite I also use "Touch of Silver" it's brilliant but it is not an every day shampoo if you leave it in for a few minutes. I get it from my local pharmacy also at a cost of about £3.00. The other good shampoo is Klorane "Anti-yellowing" - it was recommended on here quite recently on another thread about hair colour. I ordered it from Amazon and although it cost about £7.00 it leaves my hair really soft (I have thick, coarse hair so I have to be careful of not ending up with the "wiry" look).

Alea Mon 12-Oct-15 09:25:17

If ProVoke works for you (as it does for me) why change?
If you really feel the need though, Lush do one which smells lovely. The DIY recipe sounds as if it could be harsh.

henetha Mon 12-Oct-15 10:21:32

Im grey, but would like to be blonde! Is there any easy way of doing this?

seadragon Mon 12-Oct-15 12:00:57

My mum was quite a convincing blonde well into her 70's with Nice n Easy. I think she used 'Ash Blonde.

Judi123 Mon 12-Oct-15 12:22:20

My hair is brown with grey streaks, all of which is abysmally thin, my bald spots glow white. I would like a grey hair colour (Meryl Streep The Devil Wears Prada). I can't find one anywhere any ideas?

grandMattie Mon 12-Oct-15 12:34:55

My hair is white(ish) and I have white streaks put in regularly to make it whiter. As I tend to be allergic to most products of any sort, I have found that the Aussie brand of shampoos/conditioners suit me and don't bring me up in a rash.
They have nothing specific for white hair - try the travel sizes until you find what you like.

marjorie2 Mon 12-Oct-15 12:37:08

I have had white hair for past 10 years, I am in my early 60s. Inherited from father & grandmother - first hairs in my teens. I love my hair & have many comments about it but I too hate yellow strands, always feel it looks like I haven't rinsed it properly. I have tried many products, currently using L'Oreal Silver. Grateful for any other suggestions. Hairdressers just shrug when asked.

jackiekiel Mon 12-Oct-15 12:41:21

My hair, which used to be mid brown, is now white and now that I've lost colour in my skin tone I can look very washed out.Using John Frieda's Liquid Shine Colour Glaze in Brilliant Brunette gives my hair a subtle honey-coloured tint, almost minky-beige, if I apply it after shampooing and leave it on for about ten minutes. I don't use it every time because I have to wash my hair almost every day (it's so fine and limp).
The glaze is an alarming shade of dark chocolate but the result is natural-looking. The only problem is that John Frieda seem to have stopped making it and I had to get my last batch from the internet. I don't know what I'll do when I can no longer find it. Perhaps I shouldn't be telling other people!

spallam Mon 12-Oct-15 13:00:21

I use Aveda 'Blue Malva' as recommended by my hairdresser and it's lovely - my hair is shiny and healthy looking and it smells good too! It's not cheap but it lasts for ages! I alternate with Provoke 'Touch of Silver' and Philip Kingsley 'Pure silver' shampoo, so that my hair doesn't get too used to the same shampoo!

Galen Mon 12-Oct-15 13:27:00

I use the same

wotanuisanceABC123 Mon 12-Oct-15 14:45:08

About two or three times a year, I use a very light permanent dye on my hair which does the trick but I'm always nervous about it!!

wotanuisanceABC123 Mon 12-Oct-15 14:47:27

Nice and Easy is the dye I use.....very light blonde.

Madge51 Mon 12-Oct-15 14:59:47

Garnier Nutrisse, Natural Baby Blond is fabulous. The shade no. is 10.01. My hair is white round the edges and steely grey in the middle & this product gives amazing natural cover that lasts 6 - 8 weeks.

Roxannediane Mon 12-Oct-15 17:32:01

I use products from a company called 'White Hot' and get so many compliments- my hair is never dull and lifeless and never yellows. Find them on line and I think some larger Boots stores carry the lines.

Napoleon Mon 12-Oct-15 21:48:10

I use Daniel Field Advanced Water Colours No9 Pale Natural Soft Blonde.
This product contains no nasties such as peroxide or ppd. It really does cover grey and white hair which I have and lasts through quite a lot of washes.
Costs £9.95. I buy online or telephone, really helpful staff.
danielfieldmailorder.co.uk Tel 01548 830 560.

Bennan Tue 13-Oct-15 07:09:48

After years of colouring my hair I decided along with my hairdresser to go "au naturel"! I thought that she would apply a colour rinse until my other colour grew out. Oh no! It has to grow out naturally. So she used my dye colour to put in streaks for about eight months and lo and behold it worked. My hair is quite a nice colour and I use products from the salon to maintain it. They are not cheap but do last a long time. The shampoo and conditioner are by Kerastase especially for white hair and I also use ciment thermique and Moroccan oil on damp hair before blow-drying. A peanut size drop of both mixed together in your hands and thoroughly applied all over your head keeps the hair protected from the heat and gives a lovely shine. I have had some very complimentary comments about my hair which is very encouraging.

Grannyknot Tue 13-Oct-15 08:01:16

judi123 this product will give you the Meryl Streep look from that movie. It's what you sometimes see young women do to their hair too, it's pricey but you only use a tiny bit at a time. It washes out. If you do use it, be careful, the effect is quite strong and it "takes" quickly. The colour is called "Powder". Maybe get a trial sachet first.

www.milkshakehaircare.co.uk/milk-shakedirect-colour-cipria-powder.html

Nanevon Tue 13-Oct-15 08:38:21

My mobile hair dresser recommended Bristows Silver. Its for grey,white and platinum hair and takes out the brassy tones. I only use this a couple of times a week and it seems to work fine and leaves my hair in very good condition. They also do a conditioner to match.

henetha Tue 13-Oct-15 10:51:13

Oooh, great. I'm going to try some of the above mentioned.... but not all at the same time. grin