Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How often have you changed your hairstyle?

(51 Posts)
threesugars Thu 30-Jun-16 14:41:00

Am a bit envious of those who radically alter their appearance on a whim with a new hairdo. I've only had two 'styles' in my life. Longish hair till I was in my late twenties. And then a shoulder length bob until...well...now. The colour has changed disappeared obviously but other than that it's basically the same. Is it too late to go for a drastic chop?

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 15:22:15

My hairdresser of thirty years standing has often tried to tempt me to a new look. But I have had the old one (short with a bit of a fringe) for so long (since about 1978) no one would recognise me if I changed it (thinks! Actually, that's not a bad idea!). I watched her yesterday finishing what looked like a rather complicated styling and wondered what the lady had to do to maintain it between visits. I couldn't imagine - I just shove a brush through mine and it looks tip top (to me anyway). Reminded me of a friend who used to do topiary. He had cut his front hedge into the Flying Scotsman and would often say to me "I can see a battleship in your hedge". I would reply "Well leave it there, Neville. When we go to war I'll come and find you!"

TriciaF Thu 30-Jun-16 15:40:20

Not much lately.
But I remember as a young teen the battle with my Mum to have my plaits cut off to look more grownup. I wasn't the only one either - same happened to most of my friends.

Pittcity Thu 30-Jun-16 16:07:14

I have always had a fringe, except in my passport photo as they are not allowed. Otherwise I have changed length, colour and degree of curliness (lovely big 80s perm!).

Luckygirl Thu 30-Jun-16 16:12:40

I have had passport photos with a fringe - every time come to think about it.

I have changed my hairstyle twice in my lifetime: once it was long, then it was short, and now it is long again.

Nandalot Thu 30-Jun-16 16:14:24

Long for years, then page boy bob, now very short. This one is the easiest to manage as my hair is dead straight.

Just what do I do about the colour. It is a dart brown with coarse grey in various places and seems to have stopped at that for the last decade. Was persuaded by hairdresser to have some highlights and now look vey salt and pepper. Everyone around me seems to either keep on colouring ( which I don't want to do) or have gone beautiful grey or white almost overnight. Will shut up now. Realise I have hijacked thread.

Pittcity Thu 30-Jun-16 16:18:59

Luckygirl it was a recent photo and my fringe was too long for the iris recognition apparently. Never had a problem before. I just think they wanted me to look my worst.

ninathenana Thu 30-Jun-16 16:29:40

Mine was long untill the '70s then I had a Farah Forcett (sp) flick now it's a poor version of Judy Dench pixie cut as my hair is thin and fly away

tanith Thu 30-Jun-16 17:41:27

I had long hair full fringe till I was about 34 then short then shoulder length and now its short to my ears with side fringe

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 19:26:58

I change it about every three years usually the length. I am going chin length again after a short period and have had light highlights iny brunette but tinted these days hair

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 19:58:50

I have chopped and changed my hair a lot over the years, but all my styles have been based on the fact that my hair is straight and the front hair always falls over my face so I always have a fringe. I also swim a lot so I want hair that I can comb and go with when it is wet.

Having said that my hair has gone from shoulder length to cropped and all lengths in between. Currently I have my fringe and short hair round my face but with it longer at the back

Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:31:44

I have always had hair cut out around my ears, apart from that, anything went. Short back, slightly longer back. Long pixie. At the moment it's a longish choppy asymmetrical fringe that I peer through.

Alima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:43:01

Threesugars, at least if you do go for a drastic chop you will get to see if you like the style, if not you can grow it out again. This would be a good time to try, not so draughty round the neck in our so-called summer. I have kept my hair relatively short since leaving primary school. It has been the same ever since apart from a brush with Afro perms in the late eighties. For the last couple of decades it has been short and spikey, a sort of startled hedgehog look. The thing is, I hate the long hairs found around the place, especially plug holes. DD2 has always managed to leave hair around the place, ugh! Go for it if that is what you want.

Deedaa Thu 30-Jun-16 21:18:28

Rarely actually. As a student I had the Cathy McGowan cut. When I started work I had it cut very short - sort of Vidal Sassoon. Before I got married I started growing it and had it cut into a very good (but very expensive) bob. I then grew it long until I was nearly 50 when I decided I was too old and had it cut short again, and that's how it's stayed. I do play with the colour though so it doesn't get too boring.

mummyto4 Fri 01-Jul-16 06:19:39

I had long hair really thick, down to my bum as a child my aunt used to put it up in a high very tight pony because of this i would often get headaches so in p6/7 had talked my mum in to letting me get it cut shorter (shoulder length or there about) since then I've never had it as long as that again. As i got older i had it layered & feathered same for years with a fringe, without etc then had got a side fringe. My hair is very dark but its darker then dark brown but its only next to black hair you can see its not as dark as black so tried to get my hair dyed purple at about 18 in a hairdresser's they used a new dye which didn't take on so went to their regular purple which didn't work IMO so left disappointed with not trying to dye my hair again for number of years until the XXL dyes came out, now after years of getting layers in my hair its much thinner although when it's starting to get long again it gets thicker and it adds so much time on to washing & styling hair. As a mum with 2younger lo i had short length easy to maintain for years now. I would like to try something different not to crazy but fed up of having same hair style. Have curly hair which i straighten does anyone have any ideas? Sorry for rambling lol blush

SwimHome Fri 01-Jul-16 09:20:06

Had mine long for years but cut it short when my toddlers started to swing on it - ouch! Have had it in a bob for ages now and was fancying a change to something 'choppy' until last night when DOH got out some old photos and I could see how awful it looked like that! Stopped in my tracks!

blueskies Fri 01-Jul-16 09:33:47

I have a lovely hairdresser who tints just as I want but-- whatever I say I always seem to end up with a short "old ladies bob". My hair is thick and curly so after a week or so it flicks out and looks silly.

I have shown him pics of Jane Fonda but then he layers it in long doorsteps! I think I will have to have two hairdressers.... one to tint one to style.

moxeyns Fri 01-Jul-16 09:35:13

Fed up with my straggly, ultra-fine, dead straight shoulder length bob, which I've had forever. Trying to pluck up the courage to go pixie.

Indinana Fri 01-Jul-16 09:35:22

Very short bob as a child, grew it long in my teens (think Cathy McGowan smile). Tried a perm at 18, went disastrously wrong, so locked myself in the bathroom and chopped it off to within an inch of my scalp! Grew it long again, then in my 20's had a short inverted bob. Then grew it long again. In my 30's I had a 'Kevin Keegan' perm, as my DC called it. Grew perm out and in my 40's had a short, choppy 'bedhair' style, far too difficult to maintain, so grew it out, then had it dyed blonde for several years (I'm naturally brunette) to disguise the creeping grey. When it dawned on me that the 'dyed blonde' look seemed to be a rite of passage for 50-somethings, I had it coloured back to my natural brunette. Then I developed scalp psoriasis, so had to stop colouring out the grey. Now I have a short (grey sad) bob with a fringe, and I don't suppose this will change now...

moobox Fri 01-Jul-16 09:39:39

No matter what I do with it, it will be fine hair, resistant to styling, and dull by the day after washing it. Currently going from a bit layered to almost bob, but the above problems always apply

Blinko Fri 01-Jul-16 09:43:58

I've gone pixie after several years mid length. I know it suits me as I had the same for a while in my 30s. And it's soooo easy to keep tidy. Trying to achieve the same colour as Helen Mirren.

WS87NT Fri 01-Jul-16 10:03:42

As a male I've been stuck with strong curly hair and apart from the late 70's and 80's when I had a huge natural afro my hair has always been short(ish) and neatly ruffled on top. Proud to say even at 68 I have a full head of hair, very white now, but still a full head

Craftycat Fri 01-Jul-16 10:20:00

I change it all the time. My hairdresser is very inventive too so we try all sorts. I am lucky as my hair grows quickly so if it is not to my taste after a few weeks I try something new.
My DH never notices!

Victoria08 Fri 01-Jul-16 10:49:11

I changed my hairstyle just after my husband died in 2005.
Before that I used to get it cropped really short, which in hindsight was very unflattering.

For the last eleven years I have had a below chin Bob. Now I am older I think a short crop wouldn't be at all flattering as my hair is very thin and my face aunt.

However, after changing my hairstyle, I met a very nice man who is now my life partner.

Victoria08 Fri 01-Jul-16 10:49:48

That should read gaunt.