Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hip, hip, gilet!

(42 Posts)
DaphneBroon Sun 21-Aug-16 20:58:59

Following on from the cardi thread, I feel I have blinked and suddenly summer has turned into autumn. Not yet ready for the big cardi look , I had a little retail therapy on Friday and am loving the lovely, soft light gilet I treated myself to. Ideal when there's a nip in the air or the suspicion of rain. I bought it in dark navy which looks good with jeans and most of my clothes, but I am very, very tempted by the lovely fuchsia pink one they do as well.........
I can feel myself weakening .........
Question
What do you wear "in between" seasons? The summer T shirts don't cover enough, no way am I looking out winter woollies, the mornings and evenings are decidedly parky and it just feels as if summer is over sad

tanith Sun 21-Aug-16 21:20:06

I've got several cotton long or 3/4 sleeve T-shirts which are fine until the depths of Winter I don't like thick woollies even when it is cold preferring layers. Your Gilet is nice but I'd be far too hot in it just now.
Summers coming back for a few days..

Grannyknot Sun 21-Aug-16 21:42:16

That gilet is nice, i like the big collar. Where is it from, please? grin

I go to layers when I feel a bit cold at this time of year, e.get. short sleeved t-shirts over a long sleeved top. It looks better than it sounds!

DaphneBroon Sun 21-Aug-16 21:47:05

Am I allowed to say? <whispering> Joules.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Aug-16 21:55:11

smile thanks.

ninathenana Sun 21-Aug-16 23:31:51

I have a couple of thin cardis which I haven't had to wear yet. I will then progress to a long Aran style cardi and then a coat as the weather gets colder.
I don't feel the cold really. H bought me a new black wool coat last C******s I haven't worn it yet as last winter was so mild in AS.

Mamie Mon 22-Aug-16 07:35:20

Love the gilet.
I have a fab navy and white striped Breton hoodie in a soft, fleecy cotton that I love to bits.
However we are due temperatures of 33° this week and off down to the Med next week, so shan't need it for a bit.grin

J52 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:50:11

I too like wearing a gilet. So versitile in cooler days with a long sleeve T shirt. I have one that I wear for gardening, it has zipped pockets so I can keep my phone and bits in without them falling out.

Lona Mon 22-Aug-16 09:13:14

I love gilets and I have several, they are comfortable and useful. That pink one is lovely and I bet it would go with more things than you'd expect. Go get it Daphne smile
there's a Joules across the road from here .............. ?

M0nica Mon 22-Aug-16 09:58:38

I do not understand gilets. They are great for keeping your body warm but always leave me with freezing cold arms. It is always my arms that get cold, not my body.

Ana Mon 22-Aug-16 10:04:05

Same here, Monica. As long as my arms are warm I don't seem to feel the cold elsewhere!

Jayh Mon 22-Aug-16 10:14:51

Thank you, Daphne I have just ordered this gilet from House of Fraser. It is just what I have been looking for. I feel the cold easily and gilets are perfect for adding that extra layer of heat when I need it.

Auntieflo Mon 22-Aug-16 11:31:38

That gilet looks lovely. I don't like the usual ones that zip up to the chin, find them a nuisance, but the shawl collar seems great. Might have to hunt one down.

millymouge Mon 22-Aug-16 11:51:26

Gilet lover too, gives you that nice bit of extra warmth when you need it.

Teetime Mon 22-Aug-16 13:47:08

I only wear a gilet on the golf course but I might wear one if I had a dog to walk or something where I didn't need a full coat. To be honest I don't find them flattering, practical yes but difficult.

numberplease Mon 22-Aug-16 19:04:43

I loved my gilet till they became popular with the evil Aunt Babe on EastEnders!

etheltbags1 Mon 22-Aug-16 19:42:22

I have been looking for one of those gilets everywhere, they seem to be for winter wear but like others I would prefer to keep my arms covered so I would say they are for colder days on summer and autumn. Asda have none, matalan nor tesco, I have not been online nor to the more upmarket shops, I assume they are only on sale in winter. there are useful for keeping my keys etc as I hate carrying handbags.

numberplease Tue 23-Aug-16 01:08:14

Ethel, have you tried Bonmarche? That`s where I got mine.

kittylester Tue 23-Aug-16 06:37:11

I love a gilet too. I have a couple but there is always room for another! I love the pink.

TrishTopcat Tue 23-Aug-16 11:51:03

Uniqlo had a sale of down gilets last week - don't know if it's still on. I got a beautiful fuschia pink one. They are warm but ultra lightweight, and roll up small enough to go in my handbag. Cost less than £20

grannylyn65 Tue 23-Aug-16 11:52:34

Well its b*****y cold in Perth !

granjura Tue 23-Aug-16 12:00:48

boiling here in the Swiss mountains. I've got several linen or cotton gilets- which serve the purpose of adding just a little warmth but not too much, in spring and autumn- with the main purpose of hiding my bum.

granjura Tue 23-Aug-16 12:01:59

I know some of you may not want to know or care- but many down gilets are made from down 'harvested' by live stripping gueese, again and again (mind you same for duvets, etc- so look our for the guarantee label).

granjura Tue 23-Aug-16 12:04:17

Won't add any articles or videos here- but perhaps do your own research. If your down gilet is cheap- there is probably a terrible reason for it, sorry.

Falconbird Tue 23-Aug-16 12:12:10

I wear a short sleeved cardigan over a sleeveless tee shirt with cotton trousers and lightweight shoes rather than sandals. I always carry a mac in my handbag, so if it rains or turns chilly I put it on.

When it gets colder I wear the same outfits only with a long sleeved cardi and I wear a gilet.

GRANJURA thanks for the info' about the geese - I'm a veggie and a member of Compassionate Farming. I will always check gilets for goose down now - its so b----y cruel.